• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

I'm guessing they like the Woodstock-Sarnia corridor because the flat terrain will make it ideal grounds for blowing snow. But then the question is, why not upgrade Huron, Perth, and maybe Waterloo as well. Hamilton/Niagara got included because of the big amounts they're forecasting there, although they likely won't verify.

btw, where did you get the text of the warning like you posted in the other thread?

Flat terrain covers just about all of southern Ontario. Maybe it's because of the 402/401 corridor? But then, why not upgrade Kitchener to the GTA? Then, if you think about Hamilton and northern Niagara region as being included, is it even possible for those areas to experience blizzard conditions considering Hamilton is at the bottom of a deep valley, and Grimsby to St. Catharines corridor are protected by the same mountain?

It's a mailing list from WxServer, didn't I PM you the details once? Not sure, heres a link: http://www.weatherserver.net/html/subscribe.htm

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could you ask for a better winter MD? :thumbsup:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0072

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0336 PM CST TUE FEB 01 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN MO...SERN/CNTRL IA...NRN/CNTRL IL...SRN

WI...NWRN IND...EXTREME SWRN MI

CONCERNING...BLIZZARD

VALID 012136Z - 020330Z

HEAVY SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL OVERSPREAD PORTIONS OF THE

MID-MISSISSIPPI VALLEY REGION TOWARD LAKE MICHIGAN...INCLUDING THE

CHICAGO METRO AREA...THROUGH LATE AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING.

THE VERY POWERFUL EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE OVER THE CENTRAL CONUS

CONTINUES SHIFTING NEWD TOWARD THE GREAT LAKES REGION. THE

WELL-DEFINED/ASCENDING WARM CONVEYOR BELT WRAPPING CYCLONICALLY

AROUND THE LOW IS TRANSPORTING DEEP MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO

INTO THE OHIO VALLEY AND WWD ACROSS THE MIDWEST. TO THE NORTH OF THE

IMPINGING DRY SLOT OVER THE MID-MISSISSIPPI VALLEY REGION...HEAVY

SNOW WILL CONTINUE SHIFTING N/NEWD IN THE DEFORMATION ZONE OF THE

CYCLONE ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA INTO THIS EVENING.

SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL BE WIDESPREAD ACROSS

THE REGION...AS RUC FORECAST SOUNDINGS AND SREF INDICATE VERY DEEP

AND SATURATED DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONES /AOA 150 MB THICK/ COINCIDING

WITH STRONG ASCENT. HOWEVER...RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER

HOUR...POSSIBLY HIGHER...ARE EXPECTED IN A 120-MILE-WIDE CORRIDOR

CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM NEAR QUINCY TO CHICAGO. IN THIS

REGION...ENHANCED MESOSCALE BANDING IS EXPECTED...AND A FEW

LIGHTNING STRIKES WILL BE POSSIBLE. THIS IS SUPPORTED BY THE 18Z NAM

MODEL...WHICH INDICATES A BROAD AREA OF SLANTWISE INSTABILITY

COINCIDING WITH FRONTOGENESIS-INDUCED ASCENT THROUGH EARLY

EVENING...AS WELL AS THE DEVELOPMENT OF UPRIGHT INSTABILITY ACROSS

CNTRL IL AFTER 00Z AS 700-500-MB LAPSE RATES STEEPEN AOA 7 C/KM.

ADDITIONALLY...MESOSCALE BANDING WILL ALSO BE ENHANCED BETWEEN

CHICAGO AND THE WI BORDER DUE TO FRICTIONAL CONVERGENCE ASSOCIATED

WITH ONSHORE FLOW OFF LAKE MICHIGAN. THE TIGHT PRESSURE GRADIENT IN

THE NWRN SEMICIRCLE OF THE SFC CYCLONE MOVING NEWD ACROSS THE OH

VALLEY REGION WILL SUPPORT STRONG NELY WINDS WITH GUSTS AOA 35

MPH...RESULTING IN BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

THE 19Z RUN OF THE HRRR HAS BEEN CAPTURING TRENDS OF THIS SYSTEM

WELL...AND INDICATES THE HEAVY SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS

CONTINUING THROUGH MUCH OF THE EVENING. THESE CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY

SHIFT EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER BY 06Z...ENDING LATE IN THE

NIGHT ACROSS NRN IL.

..COHEN/ROGERS.. 02/01/2011

We will see....they are going conservative....I have lowered my totals some but still think a solid 10-14 is about right....especially with the potential for convective elements in the snow.

Why all the downgrading? Storm looks to be on course for the most part. I think Dry slotting/Sleet action stays south of Downriver. I think 11-13 around Detroit. Up to 15" from 59 to 69.

The reasoning for these lower totals are explained in the discussions at IWX/GRR/DTX (all great reasons BTW).

You can't base an entire forecast off fickle convective snows.

I read the AFD's and yes I know that about the convective snow....the ratios will be higher than 9:1....and the "rule of thumb" is you go 2 inches either side of what you expect based of modified soundings which they must have done....I am saying based off of upstream obs....data....and bufkit....we will see when the final totals come out but I think EVERYONE in the southern half of their area will be in excess of 9 inches.

Why all the downgrading? Storm looks to be on course for the most part. I think Dry slotting/Sleet action stays south of Downriver. I think 11-13 around Detroit. Up to 15" from 59 to 69.

I totally agree and disagree with power and DTX....we will see when the storm totals come out after the event....if I am wrong then I will admit it but right now the LOWEST I would go is 9 to 13.....they did say 8 to 14 in the web briefing though so they are at least "tipping their hand" to the higher range.

Very bad conditions here in Ottumwa,IA, 16.9F SN+ winds to at least 40mph.. I can honestly say these are some of the worst Ive ever saw. Being a east coaster that means alot. I have saw heavier rates like in feb 1983 we had 36" in 17 hrs.. But little wind, this may just take the cake. NWS have increased to possibly 20" storm total heaviest echos yet in MO, headed this way.

Record snowfall for SE Iowa! Maybe,

Flat terrain covers just about all of southern Ontario. Maybe it's because of the 402/401 corridor? But then, why not upgrade Kitchener to the GTA? Then, if you think about Hamilton and northern Niagara region as being included, is it even possible for those areas to experience blizzard conditions considering Hamilton is at the bottom of a deep valley, and Grimsby to St. Catharines corridor are protected by the same mountain?

It's a mailing list from WxServer, didn't I PM you the details once? Not sure, heres a link: http://www.weatherse...l/subscribe.htm

There's the escarpment/oak ridges further east, so I think areas closer to London are flatter than out my way. Plus when I said "flat terrain" I was also referring to the lack of man made barriers (here in the GTA we have a lot of buildings so it'd be harder to verify true blizzard conditions).

Hamilton-Niagara depends on the winds. E/ENE winds like with this storm means there's nothing impeding stronger gusts as the winds are coming in off open Lake Ontario. Question is then why didn't Toronto/Peel/Halton get upgraded as those zones get the same effect off of Lk Ontario.

And yeah, you sent me that link before, but last time I only registered for the OPSC discussion, not the weather alerts.

It's a mailing list from WxServer, didn't I PM you the details once? Not sure, heres a link: http://www.weatherse...l/subscribe.htm

Hamilton-St Catharines are not protected in this case since the NE winds will be coming full force off Lake Ontario.. they have the BEST chance of seeing blizzard conditions in Southern Ontario out of this thing.

I read the AFD's and yes I know that about the convective snow....the ratios will be higher than 9:1....and the "rule of thumb" is you go 2 inches either side of what you expect based of modified soundings which they must have done....I am saying based off of upstream obs....data....and bufkit....we will see when the final totals come out but I think EVERYONE in the southern half of their area will be in excess of 9 inches.

Fair enough.

The ultimate thing that will make or break the forecast around here will be how consistent the snowfall rates are. We would need non-stop 1" per hour rates to reach in excess of 9 inches in such a short period of time (6-9 hours). While plausible, we also have to take note of our climo when considering the possibility, and our typical winter storms normally don't produces rates that high for so long.

Flake size (ratios) will also be improtant too. It's going to be even harder to reach 9"+ withteh strong winds and the potential for riming.

Still heavy sleet Hoosier/Chicago?

Really disappointed. Have between an inch and two of sleet accumlated is all. 20 miles west or 20 miles north have a bunch of snow, and will be getting even more. They are still predicting 6-10 inches for us overnight but I don't see how???? Decatur Illinois - Macon County. Can someone explain??

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

451 PM EST TUE FEB 01 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0450 PM HEAVY SLEET FRANKFORT 40.28N 86.51W

02/01/2011 M3.00 INCH CLINTON IN TRAINED SPOTTER

WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS DUE TO SLEET.

Hamilton-Niagara depends on the winds. E/ENE winds like with this storm means there's nothing impeding stronger gusts as the winds are coming in off open Lake Ontario. Question is then why didn't Toronto/Peel/Halton get upgraded as those zones get the same effect off of Lk Ontario.

Hamilton-St Catharines are not protected in this case since the NE winds will be coming full force off Lake Ontario.. they have the BEST chance of seeing blizzard conditions in Southern Ontario out of this thing.

Very well, if that were the case, it seems possible that Halton, Peel, Toronto, Durham, Northumberland, and Prince Edward counties will probably be added later. Think of it like svr tstorm or tornado watches, WFO Toronto always starts out with a couple counties, then by the end of the event the watch has expanded ten-fold.

Archived