Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February General Banter Thread I

jrips27

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 18" in 1993. It's an argument in my family. My uncle who went outside the first day measure 18". My father and mother measured 14" on day 2 but they don't understand the concept of snow compacting. That's a sweet avatar BTW and I hope you get hammered with so much sleet it will get you through the summer heat.

Thank you most kindly, sir...on the avatar and the sleet :thumbsup: I hope this dancing sucker works. I've got a lot of catching up to do with you N. Ga types. Please let me know when it begins to irritate. I don't have the good returns the Brickster has. The boy needs to do irrational standup!

Oh, and I figured out the where we are deal. Chat is 115 miles or so from the Heart of Atl motel. The Ga line is somewhere south of Chat by around 12 miles or so. That puts everything inside 285 on the northern end, and a line parallel from w to e, in central Ga., lol! T

It's amazing they can forecast a warm up a week out but a snowstorm in the SE is like giving criptanight ,probab;y not spelled right , to superman.Anyway was everyone thoughts on the rest of Feb as for winter temps and moisture?

My thoughts (initially) and damn I hope I'm wrong (but with an NAO at best neutral, the PNA negative, what else can someone think):

Hey Jon... Trade your girlfriend for a winter storm watch? :popcorn:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC

351 PM EST TUE FEB 8 2011

...A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE ACROSS ALL OF EASTERN NORTH

CAROLINA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING...

.WEAK LOW PRESSURE IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP OFF THE NORTH CAROLINA

COAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND CIRCULATE MOISTURE INTO A MARGINALLY

COLD AIR MASS OVER EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA. THIS WILL LEAD TO THE

DEVELOPMENT OF SNOW...POSSIBLY HEAVY AT TIMES...LATE WEDNESDAY

NIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION IS LIKELY TO

START AS RAIN...OR MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW ALONG THE COAST BEFORE

CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW THURSDAY MORNING. INLAND ONLY SNOW IS

EXPECTED TO OCCUR. THE HEAVIEST SNOWS WILL COINCIDE WITH THE

THURSDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR CREATING DANGEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS

ACROSS THE AREA. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO END EARLY THURSDAY

AFTERNOON.

NCZ029-044>047-079>081-090>095-098-103-104-090500-

/O.CON.KMHX.WS.A.0001.110210T0300Z-110210T1600Z/

MARTIN-PITT-WASHINGTON-TYRRELL-MAINLAND DARE-GREENE-BEAUFORT-

MAINLAND HYDE-DUPLIN-LENOIR-JONES-CRAVEN-PAMLICO-CARTERET-ONSLOW-

OUTER BANKS DARE-OUTER BANKS HYDE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILLIAMSTON...ROBERSONVILLE...

GREENVILLE...PLYMOUTH...COLUMBIA...SNOW HILL...HOOKERTON...

WASHINGTON...RIVER ROAD...WALLACE...WARSAW...ROSE HILL...

KENANSVILLE...BEULAVILLE...MAGNOLIA...KINSTON...MAYSVILLE...

POLLOCKSVILLE...TRENTON...NEW BERN...HAVELOCK...VANCEBORO...

ORIENTAL...ALLIANCE...BAYBORO...ARAPAHOE...MINNESOTT BEACH...

VANDEMERE...STONEWALL...MOREHEAD CITY...BEAUFORT...EMERALD ISLE...

NEWPORT...JACKSONVILLE...KILL DEVIL HILLS...KITTY HAWK...

NAGS HEAD...SOUTHERN SHORES

351 PM EST TUE FEB 8 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING

THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING...

Can't tell the wife though... Hot Nurse, but after you get married the love life tanks given her work schedule, 4 -12's a week. :thumbsdown:

Just got done with my Physics test. I felt a lot better than I expected about it and it wasn't the horror I thought it would be! :)

Teleconnections and analogs from my past show that when I do well on a test I think I am going to flunk in the month of February, the chances at a 6"+ snow falling within 25 miles of my doorstep are 96.67%. lmaosmiley.gif

Just got done with my Physics test. I felt a lot better than I expected about it and it wasn't the horror I thought it would be! :)

Teleconnections and analogs from my past show that when I do well on a test I think I am going to flunk in the month of February, the chances at a 6"+ snow falling within 25 miles of my doorstep are 96.67%. lmaosmiley.gif

Physics 1 was a breeze, calculus type... Physics 2 was hell, even armed with the TI-89 titanium it was mostly derivations based on a 7-plus page exam where you had to pick 5 pages and solve, not really complicated but the Professor made it seen like rocket science, which it kind of was. :pimp:

PY 205 or PY 208?

PY 205 or PY 208?

Should be 2350-2351 (4&1 credit hours) and 2360-2361 (4&1 credit hours) in the UNC system, Calculus based 1 & 2 with lab, 5 credit hours a pop...

Calc 1 and 2 are prereqs respectively

Calculus-based introduction to basic principles of physics. Mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism,

optics, and modern physics.

Double A's, not sure how on the second installment though, likely a curve.

Physics 1 was a breeze, calculus type... Physics 2 was hell, even armed with the TI-89 titanium it was mostly derivations based on a 7-plus page exam where you had to pick 5 pages and solve, not really complicated but the Professor made it seen like rocket science, which it kind of was. :pimp:

Stop with the physics talk, its bringing back bad memories. Agree, got through Physics 1 with an A. Then I got to Physics 2 and barely made it through, but made just enough on my final to pass. Professor was terrible. Whenever you went to his office to ask a question, he just looked it you and said it was in your notes. I still remember, the first test, only 7 out of 42 people passed.

On a weather note, whether this storm over achieves or not I'm ready for some warmth. Its about this time every year I get the first grumbling for heat, humidity and t-storm chances. Only problem is out t-storm seasons have really sucked for the past several years around here. I don't know if I can stand seeing organized lines of convection pass 50mi to my north only to watch it expand south to Charlotte as it approaches I-77.

Seeing how the models continue to look dismal and radar is progged to fall apart moving into GA I think FFC is right on the money with their call for the ATL area. Maybe too high for far N/NE GA. BMX is being a bit aggressive IMO, though their area should get more than FFC's.

I agree. I don't see why everyone is complaining about ffc because in this case I think they are *clearly* right with just an advisory. I think hsv/bmx is probably going a bit overboard I think on the warnings all the way to the ga border. BMX is tougher since they should have better moisture..but still it's hard to see areas in eastern alabama picking up more than 2 inches with the exception of localized areas where any heavier band might set up. However, that won't cover everyone and it seems to me an advisory is the better way to go and then if necessary upgrade. But that's just me.

This isn't the first time they have gone overboard either. The system a week or two ago I thought they were high on drugs with their warnings/advisories/accumulations. The models had shifted and showed virtually no snow or just very light snow but hsv and bmx still were forecasting accumulations that just didn't seem realistic. Indeed, they ended up busting pretty badly with virtually no snow in central al and only light amounts in extreme northern al.

Only thing I take exception to with ffc, is where they have the heavier amounts..favoring the mountains as usual. I don't see it happening that way as the mountains, although colder, should have less overall qpt. Although areas further south, south of atlanta to athens, could see more overall precip, temps aren't going to be terribly cold and some will not stick at first. So I think a very broad brush approach is the way to go with no area being favored for the heaviest amounts over the other.

Archived