• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February General Banter Thread I

jrips27

Someone sedate Brick. The GFS is pumping out 2 inches for RDU.

Honestly RDU is on the line for about nothing or a trace, to 1" or so from this storm...Wake Forest (Brick's house) WILL do better than my house as I live about 5 mins from RDU...that said, he'll probably be the winner when all is said and done.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Color me impressed...I'm liking the trends toward more precip in the area. 2.5 more inches and I'll be at 15" for the year - truly the best winter that I can really remember; I was still pretty young in '80. I can't really enjoy this snow as much as I normally would - having a bun in the oven isn't exactly conducive to snow-frolicking and sledding, but watching it fall and seeing the enjoyment my son and his friends have with it is all I really need.

Not getting too excited yet, though. I am fully expecting to be boarding the Failboat come tomorrow this time.

Winter weather advisory for Wake County now.

I'm really digging that pale yellow area of the map. rolleyes.gif You have got to be effing kidding me. I realize that I'm channeling WidreMann right now, but it seems to happen every storm here lately. NW shift, over-suppression, precip hits dry air, 33 degree surface temps, etc. You name it and it's happened.

This is the banter thread so I'm allowed to complain. guitar.gif

post-1872-0-36426200-1297271694.png

I'm really digging that pale yellow area of the map. rolleyes.gif You have got to be effing kidding me. I realize that I'm channeling WidreMann right now, but it seems to happen every storm here lately. NW shift, over-suppression, precip hits dry air, 33 degree surface temps, etc. You name it and it's happened.

This is the banter thread so I'm allowed to complain. guitar.gif

I blame Durham. All the dookies.

Color me impressed...I'm liking the trends toward more precip in the area. 2.5 more inches and I'll be at 15" for the year - truly the best winter that I can really remember; I was still pretty young in '80. I can't really enjoy this snow as much as I normally would - having a bun in the oven isn't exactly conducive to snow-frolicking and sledding, but watching it fall and seeing the enjoyment my son and his friends have with it is all I really need.

Not getting too excited yet, though. I am fully expecting to be boarding the Failboat come tomorrow this time.

Congratulations, that's a good reason not to sled!

Watching this storm in real time today... a lot of people in the SE are gonna be let down for even their inch amounts. Each model run other than the GFS is taking more and more snow/precip away due to higher temps and less moisture with even the GFS trending warmer and warmer. This storm is gonna end up being a total waste of time for anyone outside of Ark/Memphis, TN.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I was feeling pretty good about our snow chances in Raleigh but apparently we are now in the LEE zone, which it seems like it is not where you want to be. What exactly is the LEE zone and how do you determine where it is? On the latest NAM (I think it was the NAM) there is literally a big white hole just over Wake County when everyone else in the SE has some QPF. I know I sound like Brick here but I feel like we are getting punished for getting snow on Christmas.

Although I don't expect anything of significance tonight there is one large factor the models fail to incorporate in their forecast. At 9am this morning they began ripping out the heating system in my house to replace a propane furnace/heat pump system with a new one sans propane. It is a two day job so tonight the only heat I will have is a set of gas logs. May or may not have the air handler in place to circulate the air. If ever there was a surprise snow storm this would be the time. Kind of like a mega car wash syndrome.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I was feeling pretty good about our snow chances in Raleigh but apparently we are now in the LEE zone, which it seems like it is not where you want to be. What exactly is the LEE zone and how do you determine where it is? On the latest NAM (I think it was the NAM) there is literally a big white hole just over Wake County when everyone else in the SE has some QPF. I know I sound like Brick here but I feel like we are getting punished for getting snow on Christmas.

The lee zone is basically just on the side of the mountains that don't face the wind...a lot of times moisture can't overcome the mountains thus you have NW flow events where the west facing slopes get hammered with snow and everyone on the other side is usually bone dry.

The lee zone is basically just on the side of the mountains that don't face the wind...a lot of times moisture can't overcome the mountains thus you have NW flow events where the west facing slopes get hammered with snow and everyone on the other side is usually bone dry.

Oh, ok then. If that's the case then why did the RUC have Wake County literally right in the middle of the LEE zone? I mean, why not Greensboro or Winston-Salem? That's proably s stupid question but now I'm even more confused. I guess bottom line is I just want to know why that RUC that Lookout posted has Wake County as getting absolutely nothing. As you can tell with my questions there is a reason I did so horribly in my weather and climate class at Carolina! Thanks for all of your help!

Oh, ok then. If that's the case then why did the RUC have Wake County literally right in the middle of the LEE zone? I mean, why not Greensboro or Winston-Salem? That's proably s stupid question but now I'm even more confused. I guess bottom line is I just want to know why that RUC that Lookout posted has Wake County as getting absolutely nothing. As you can tell with my questions there is a reason I did so horribly in my weather and climate class at Carolina! Thanks for all of your help!

Well I am the wrong person to ask, but I'm pretty sure RDU isn't consider the in the lee of the apps because you are too far east....again I do not know but....it wasn't because you were in the lee it was because as that low forms off the coast it robs all of your moisture and that's why you were dry.

Well I am the wrong person to ask, but I'm pretty sure RDU isn't consider the in the lee of the apps because you are too far east....again I do not know but....it wasn't because you were in the lee it was because as that low forms off the coast it robs all of your moisture and that's why you were dry.

Now that makes total sense! It ticks me off, but it makes sense. :). Now, just how flexible is this low? I mean, I'm thinking if it's showing that now and we're so close to the storm then there's a good chance of it being right.

I really hope we can get some white stuff tonight and tomorrow over all of NC, but really hope DOT gets the roads cleaned up by Friday afternoon...taking my son and a friend to the Bobcats game that night and meeting some friends that just got back from Germany. Definitely don't want crappy roads to put a kink in those plans. :yikes: I've been holed up in the house for 3 weeks and I need OUT before I go all Jack Torrance on the family.

Now that makes total sense! It ticks me off, but it makes sense. :). Now, just how flexible is this low? I mean, I'm thinking if it's showing that now and we're so close to the storm then there's a good chance of it being right.

I would suggest to just follow the storm thread, it's going to give you the most up to date info. Right now it looks like the storm might not lose as much in the transfer which would be a really good thing. I would say a miracle at this point would be for most of us in NC to have 2 inches outside of the coastal areas.

I really hope we can get some white stuff tonight and tomorrow over all of NC, but really hope DOT gets the roads cleaned up by Friday afternoon...taking my son and a friend to the Bobcats game that night and meeting some friends that just got back from Germany. Definitely don't want crappy roads to put a kink in those plans. :yikes: I've been holed up in the house for 3 weeks and I need OUT before I go all Jack Torrance on the family.

Coming to my side of town eh? Bobcats games are fun and I try to go often. Usually CLT roads in center city are fine even after a big snow and 1 to 2 inch snows usually don't much to the highways around here....used to be REALLY bad but they've done really well this year with clean up.

Coming to my side of town eh? Bobcats games are fun and I try to go often. Usually CLT roads in center city are fine even after a big snow and 1 to 2 inch snows usually don't much to the highways around here....used to be REALLY bad but they've done really well this year with clean up.

We love Charlotte - if we didn't have so much family in this area, no doubt we'd move there! Definitely more employment opportunities - my husband is in video/TV production and there's not a lot of demand for that in the eastern part of the state. I figured the closer we got to the city, roads would probably improve. I'm mostly worried about 49 from Asheboro to Harrisburg. That's the only section that's 2-lane and potentially tricky around the Uwharrie area.

Bobcats games are awesome! I really didn't expect to enjoy the games so much. I'm hooked now. I got my husband the Pick 11 package this year for his birthday and if we were a little closer to the area, we'd definitely get season tickets - even though they'd have to be in the nosebleed section :lol:

I do hope you guys can pick up some snow. I'd like some here, but we've had more than our average this season and I'm willing to share the wealth. Plus I don't want my kid having to make up school during spring break. :axe:

Archived