• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Grade This Winter

HoarfrostHubb

This stretch is really going to drop the winter's grade if we don't get a late-season Nor'easter. We have to pray for the cut-off low shown on the 12z ECM to be more amplified at the surface.

I can't go below A- down here though, I don't usually hold a foot of snow on the ground for over a month and get to 70" on the season. Extra credit for back-to-back performance from winter, unlike the one-shot deal you guys have experienced. 09-10/10-11 FTWthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too early.

This is why I waited to grade this winter. So far epic fail for March and unless we get some sort of fluke event, this won't come near '95-'96 and '04-'05 around here...which started in November. Lets hope we can squeeze something in, but I excepted another dud month. I'll still keep my eye out.

This is why I waited to grade this winter. So far epic fail for March and unless we get some sort of fluke event, this won't come near '95-'96 and '04-'05 around here...which started in November. Lets hope we can squeeze something in, but I excepted another dud month. I'll still keep my eye out.

I give it a solid B, perhaps a B+.. Could have eeked out a solid B+ but we had that torch that killed the cover from one of the earlier storms (was that at New Years???). It devasted this area--at least from me up through 2k in Franklin County. Had that held, we'd have had a truly epic pack. The lackluster first half of March also argues for the lower grade. Though, my daughter did manage to get a delayed opening Thursday and I think the week before which was a bit of a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

B- as far as snow here... just a little above average.

Temps have for the most part been wintery right through with a few torches

At least I did better in March than the last couple of years, but was hoping for a better showing.

Last minute extra credit is sorely needed to bump the grade up.

I am just speaking for MBY.

Overall snowfall: B+: Got off to a slow start, but then had the "epic 6 weeks." From December 26 to February 2nd I got 71.6 of my 88.7" for the year. Slow end, but was nice to have a spring storm,even if it was only 4". Ended with 135% of average.

Cold: A: Very consistent with only two minor torches in the 50s for a few days.

Snowpack: A+: At least 1" on the ground from 12/26 through 3/12, 20+ on the ground for 6 weeks, and a period of two weeks with 30+" on the ground from 1/27-2/10 or so. Can't ask for much more.

Storms: A-: Amazingly had 6 storms over 6" and 3 storms over a foot with one very close at 11.4". Only thing missing was a true KU with epic amounts. I had 17" (possibly 18-19, may have under measured), but I still want a 25"+ storm at one time. I know they are VERY rare, and the time will come.

Overall: A-

Awesome winter.

B+

I've been in Boston since 1993, so I'm basing this grading on that sampling of 18 winters.

Some notable winters in that stretch:

1993-94 swfe parade

1995-96

1997 April blizzard

2005 Jan blizzard

- Did this winter have anything historic?

Yes... Dec 26-Feb 5 stretch, historic and disruptive snowbanks.

- Was there an historic storm?

Arguable... there was no April 1997 or January 2005, both storms that may not be surpassed again in my lifetime.

There was no Jan 1996-type expansive KU affecting much of the east coast.

Jan 12 2011 had some exciting dynamics, but definitely not in the same league as Jan 2005.

- Were there any bad stretches?

March was a disaster

- January we were on pace to an A+, since then dropped down to B+

- If we get another April surprise > 2", I'd consider bumping up to an A-

84" was the most I've seen since moving to W. Ma. but March really brought the grade down. Only 3.5" in March.

Feb. was actually ok in these parts despite several snow storms ending with sleet and freezing rain. Feb. saw 22" + in Greenfield.

If 4/1 had produced 6"+ I would give an A- but I have to go with:

B+

Gotta' get a good late winter going again sometime.

A-

Hard not to give something in the A range after being at least 15'' above average, nearly constant cold, getting a legitimate KU, and a good April snowfall. March was awful and December was meh, which is the only that that kept me from giving this winter a solid A.

2010-2011 snowfall - 78.2''

Yearly average - 63''

+15.2''

A 15" bomb on April 1 scrambles my grade somewhat, on which I'll yakk below. But for the core of winter, DJFM at this latitude, it's perobably the most thoroughly average winter of my 13 years here.

Grades by month:

Month..Snow..Temp

DEC.....C-........C-

JAN......C..........C

FEB......B+.......C+

MAR.....C+.......D+

4 Mo....C..........C

The precise avg are 2.08 GPA for both snow and temp, slightly closer to CD (2.00) than C+ (2.33). However, I've leaned toward the higher grade despite no storms bigger than 8.9" (while folks within an hr drive in all 4 directions had multiple 10"+) and no sustained cold. Positives are no sustained thaws, and good snow depth once we reached 10" in mid-January - still 17" this morning.

The April storm makes this month no lower than A for snow, no matter what happens thru 4/30, and snow trumps temp more in April than in DJFM, though overall, I give each of those months more than twice the weight given April. It would take some additional serious wintry wx (snow and/or cold) to push winter up to B-. My other B- winters (02-3, 04-5, 06-7) had either record sustained cold (02-3) or multiple big storms plus serious cold.

Archived