Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade This Winter

HoarfrostHubb

B+

Dec (9.25") blew, what little we got in the Boxing Day "blizzard" (8.5") was gone by Jan 1.

Jan (39.75") as we all know was decent, but it started slow. Once 1/12 hit, it was game on for the next 3 weeks. 50" in 3 weeks is nothing to sneeze at.

Feb (32") would have been total suck if not for 2/25-2/27 (18.5")

Mar (4") was complete suck

April (6") even beat March, that is how bad March was.

The season total of 91.5" and the Long-term snowcover carried the grade on this one. Any thaws in there would have brought the grade way, way down.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of impossible for me to give this winter an A- considering it had 25" less than 02-03 with less days of snow cover and less depth days overall too. It was well behind 00-01 in all those too. 04-05 had more snow as well.

Your area was the only screw zone in the whole state.

We had snowcover from Jan 4 -March 20th or so..that's a long time..and for a week after X-mas..just that one 2 day NY torch

I'll probably give it an A-....the warning criteria event Mar 31-Arp 1 made up for some of the putrid March, but not all of it. The rest of the winter was fantastic outside of the cold/dry first 2 weeks of December.

February after the 1st and 2nd was a bit of a buzzkill after the epic 6 week stretch, but we still did pretty well later that month compared to areas south. Had 3 separate icing events and a bunch of 2-5" snow events in there...so it remained wintry even though we lost the great coastal storm pattern.

March was a terrible month, no qualms about it. April gave a nice going away present here, so it lifted the grade back up 5 points or so.

Assuming no more accumulation, we had some impressive stuff here:

Max snow depth: 38" on Feb 2nd

Consecutive days over 24" snow depth: 37 (Jan 12 through February 16)..we did later tick back over 24" near end of month for a few days.

Total snowfall: 98.3" (a little less at airport which puts it around 12th all time)

Number of storms >12": 4 (12/26, 1/12, 1/27, 2/1-2)

Consecutive days that failed to reach 40F: 42 (Jan 3rd through February 13)

Still giving it around a B/B+ (pushing it) here...

Please get those late April assignments in ASAP!

I really wanted one big storm here, but will have to live with 16.5" on Jan 12...

A few more inches to get into the 90's would have helped, too. Even snowpack, while good, was not great. But is did last a long time (still have some...gone by week's end I think)

The day I hit -13.9F helped, too

After much pondering, I decided to give this winter an A. March really bothered me and almost caused me to bring the grade down by about 5 points, but in all honesty..other factors probably helped tip the scale.

Snowfall was almost double the normal of around 43". 83.8" to be exact which is quite significant around these parts. Snow began with the Cape retro low on 12/21 with 2.7". 12/26 was my largest amounts thanks to strong low level frontogenesis and CF contribution. I wasn't home for it, but I know it left quite the impact for the city, especially down in my area on the se corner of town. 1/12 left the best wet snowbomb since 4/1/97. Not to often you have blizzard conditions with temps above freezing. Again, had to work in that one, but I saw what it left behind the next day. Two other storms dumped nearly a foot...1/27 and 2/1-2/2 of Feb.

The torch of February did hurt and I watched my snowpack slowly dwindle, but to have the snowpack that I attained about 1 mile from the ocean was incredible. March like I said was horrible, but at least I had a farewell 2" to end it. Snowpack went weeks above 18" and a good 2.5 weeks maybe 3 weeks where we had 24" or greater. It's tough to measure snowpack here so I had to give an estimate.

Would have been a top 3 even in my old hood if not for an atrocious march and 2nd half of February.

I think Jerry will agree 95-96 provided less significant but more consistent events.

Aside of 05 best winter here in the new hood. Im guessing the 4-7" over the last few weeks is at or above normal for this area.

Archived