joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade This Winter

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall winter, I don't have a grade for, but Late December and all of January is definitely an A+. One of the best 4-5 weeks periods I've experienced.

With that being said, with the excption of what may come tomorrow, the rest of the winter could fail as far as frozen precip goes. (The "rain" word is already being thrown around for the weekend).

There's many more weeks to go.

The groundhog can kiss my azz, if later this week he decides that there's going to be an early spring.

Keeping optimistic, and hoping for historic.

• 3 weeks later...

After a good to great January and an ok start to Feb, things have fizzled around here and for most of SNE.

With little on the horizon and the last full week of Feb upon us, I would not put this winter at a B/B- IMBY, down from an A-

I have enjoyed it immensly and I still have 16" OTG, some good cold air, flakes have been flying, but nothing measurable for a while...

A-

Epic cold in December with blizzard on Boxing Day, only drawback was that the month began so dry.

Two 12"+ snowfalls in January, arctic outbreak mid-month, myriad lighter events to keep the snowpack fresh.

Ice storm in February, then very mild, but now another snowstorm moving in. We'll see what the next two storms do. The only thing that's missing is that my backyard hasn't jackpotted on any of the major events this winter, but we've had 58" on the season with a streak of over 50 days with snowpack. Ponds and lakes have been frozen here since the mid-December cold spell, extremely unusual for Westchester.

Not that tough. (and does your area avg 80-85" snow? That's what it would need for 39" thru 1/27 to be 50%.)

Avg is about 75". I didn't want to do the hard math for a more accurate percentage. lol

With December stinking and February following suit, I'm going for a C right now. Only the persistent cold is keeping this at that lofty level.

A-

Epic cold in December with blizzard on Boxing Day, only drawback was that the month began so dry.

Two 12"+ snowfalls in January, arctic outbreak mid-month, myriad lighter events to keep the snowpack fresh.

Ice storm in February, then very mild, but now another snowstorm moving in. We'll see what the next two storms do. The only thing that's missing is that my backyard hasn't jackpotted on any of the major events this winter, but we've had 58" on the season with a streak of over 50 days with snowpack. Ponds and lakes have been frozen here since the mid-December cold spell, extremely unusual for Westchester.

How old are you? seriously....because if you are young you have been spoiled by the run of 40+ winters in NYC.

If this winter hasn't been an A or A+ for your area, then there is no such thing. 3 storms over 12inches by mid Feb? That almost never happens. Constant snowpack? Almost never happens. Your snow today will push you over 60 for the season. This has to be a top 5 winter for your area.

I'd give this winter a B so far. It would be a C if not for the epic 70 inches in 5 weeks and 22" in one storm. 70 inches by now is a little above average. March will either make this winter an A or a C. Fortunately this far north we can get an epic stretch in March pretty easily, but we'll see.

I agree, March will make or break it.

This winter will not get blow a B+, due to the constant epic snow pack, 5 weeks of snow fall and cold. With that said, if there was no more significant snowfall I would go with a B+. If there was say 6-18" more then A-. If we get 20+ and I break 100", then an A would be the grade.

If we get a HECS in March or i close in on the record which I still have 50" to go, then I'll give it an A+.

Also, this might seem stupid, but our heaviest snow dumps have come in the 1-4am time this year and it would be nice to get a storm this year with heavy snow from 12pm-6pm, when most people are awake. Beggers can't be chooser though.

Winter snow in N. Aroostook County was truant through Jan. and was in danger of expulsion for non-attendance. "FFF".

The snows finally reported for duty and CAR/PQI have done quite nicely since the start of Feb. "A".

Final grade for up here predicated on performance during the period endind 4/15.

Inauspicious start

Now a "C" and improving

All's well that ends well.

See what I did there?

Message structure FTW

At dockside I'm bored

Vim Toot!

Winter snow in N. Aroostook County was truant through Jan. and was in danger of expulsion for non-attendance. "FFF".

The snows finally reported for duty and CAR/PQI have done quite nicely since the start of Feb. "A".

Final grade for up here predicated on performance during the period endind 4/15.

Inauspicious start

Now a "C" and improving

All's well that ends well.

See what I did there?

Message structure FTW

At dockside I'm bored

Vim Toot!

Vim Haiku.

i would grade my area about a C because of the longevity of the snowy pattern. i would gladly take less snow fall over a longer period,

We got some great storms but the torch really hurt the snowmobiling trails around here. It would be nice to pick

up 6" soon.

c'mon Doug - it's been way better than C. Greenfield has had over 60" of snow since December.

If you are calling this year a C around here than the last 3 seasons must be and F minus to you. LOL

c'mon Doug - it's been way better than C. Greenfield has had over 60" of snow since December.

If you are calling this year a C around here than the last 3 seasons must be and F minus to you. LOL

LOL. Last winter was def a f around our area.

Your right i should say its better. We have the snowfall total but i would rather it be spread out over Jan and Feb. I'm worried we aren't going to see

much more snow.

December gets a solid D. Too dry for my liking

January so far gets an A. if there was no NY Day torch it would be an A+.

So far I would grade winter as a B-, but that grade is going up almost every day.

To update this:

December-D

January-A

February so far-C-

I would give this winter a B- to date, but that grade has potential to go up or down, depending on the balance of Feb/March

I'd give this winter a B so far. It would be a C if not for the epic 70 inches in 5 weeks and 22" in one storm. 70 inches by now is a little above average. March will either make this winter an A or a C. Fortunately this far north we can get an epic stretch in March pretty easily, but we'll see.

agree completely, but you have more snow than me :(

A++

continous snowcover since 12/26 epic depths for this part of the world

3 bombs down here

two very short thaws

its been a top 3 winter on the ct shore west of the ct river

nothing to complain about, and another storm last night to boot..................if March delivers 95-96 will be broken.

A++

continous snowcover since 12/26 epic depths for this part of the world

3 bombs down here

two very short thaws

its been a top 3 winter on the ct shore west of the ct river

nothing to complain about, and another storm last night to boot..................if March delivers 95-96 will be broken.

You folks over to Rev Kev have been at the focus point of winter 2010/2011 Very happy for you there

Archived