joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade This Winter

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did it melt? I see a lot of coastal peeps here saying their pack will last til May, but my experience with 100"+ seasons (and 36" packs) is that by the end of April it is gone.

I had snow linger until May 2nd in my backyard where it's shady. That day was also ice-out on Lake Winnipesaukee.

The amount of winterkill the lawn suffered that year was unreal.

Solid C and moving up; 2 weeks ago it was a D, due to mild rainy Dec and early Jan thaw (and only the 8" on 12/27 enabled a passing grade.) Today's 2/-20 brought my Jan avg temp so far right on to the 13-yr avg thru 1/24, and season's snowfall is about 1" above.

Latest I've had continuous 1"+ snowcover IMBY is 4/23/01. Depth was 47" on 4/1 that yr, but highs 70s to 80 on 21-24 took away all but the piles. Only place I've had snow cover last into May was when I lived in the back settlement in Ft. Kent. Latest for continouous cover was 5/3/82, thanks to the April blizzard.

Well lets see. a cold December, 20+ inches on the Boxing Day storm, 12 inches 2 weeks ago, a few other 3-6 inches, (about 45 inches since Dec 27) and -28 Monday morning, the 4th coldest recorded temperature in Lebanon.

That would be an A+

The whole thaw at the beginning of Jan is a normal part of winter in New Eng, and it only lasted a couple days. Yeah we lost most of the snow pack, but at least the deer arent suffering because of deeper snow. Yet.

I'll give it a B here so far....although getting completely snubbed yesterday/lst night and little on the near-term horizon tempts me to go with a B-.....

We're at roughly 50% of average annual snowfall at my house, we've got 18" at the stake and a -23F low tucked in there. So, not too shabby despite it being a very peripheral year regarding snow events.

I'll give it a B here so far....although getting completely snubbed yesterday/lst night and little on the near-term horizon tempts me to go with a B-.....

We're at roughly 50% of average annual snowfall at my house, we've got 18" at the stake and a -23F low tucked in there. So, not too shabby despite it being a very peripheral year regarding snow events.

Sounds like my situation (50% of aas, 19" on ground, -22.6F low) but I'm a very tough grader with the C+ :lol:

Sounds like my situation (50% of aas, 19" on ground, -22.6F low) but I'm a very tough grader with the C+ :lol:

I'm in the same boat. The only reason I might bump it to a B is because we haven't had any melting to speak of. I haven't really goten up to 30° since the New Years mini-meltdown.

Not that tough. (and does your area avg 80-85" snow? That's what it would need for 39" thru 1/27 to be 50%.)

My earlier "solid C" was based on 3" more snow than you've had, 4" less OG, and a -20 low for my usually colder location. But I'm sliding it back to C-, due to this latest whiff and some further thought:

---Oct-Nov: Both milder than avg, snow slightly below: D

---Dec: Temp above avg, snow right on avg, missed the best of Boxing Day, big wet thaw midmonth, equals D+ or C-.

---Jan so far: Temp right at avg, snowfall a hair above but almost always less than points east, south, west (and north, if one doesn't go too far.) Give it a C, meaning no deduction for frustration factor.

Even with a light weight for O/N, adds to C- at best. If 12z gfs is on target, will be down to D+ in a week. Hope the other models are currently closer to what happens.

Archived