joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1966 was a waning el nino year that was dry...the 2016 winter was kind of similar to 1966...The summer of 66 was as hot and dry as it can get...66 had a cool May...hopefully the similarities end in June...

That one (66) was a hot one, all right, but the following winter (66-67) had several nice storms, as you can remember, Uncle.  Let's see if the pattern holds.  I don't fancy a summer with relentless heat, however.

That's a pretty funny video. But not for the tree.

Speaking of which i have seen mega gypsy moth nests everywhere. Going to be a bad season for those things

The Eastern Tent Caterpillar is the one that has all those ugly nests.  Gypsy moth caterpillars are free roaming.  Both types defoliate the trees.

Here's a description, with some tent stuff near the bottom.  All of it hideous.  If it's any consolation, the tent caterpillar is native.  

https://extension.illinois.edu/gypsymoth/photos.cfm

The Eastern Tent Caterpillar is the one that has all those ugly nests.  Gypsy moth caterpillars are free roaming.  Both types defoliate the trees.

Here's a description, with some tent stuff near the bottom.  All of it hideous.  If it's any consolation, the tent caterpillar is native.  

https://extension.illinois.edu/gypsymoth/photos.cfm

When I lived in Jackson as a kid those things were everywhere. You could hear them crunching the leaves on a quiet day. We'd all have to go inside when they sprayed pesticide every year.

Last spring I came across these caterpillars hanging from webs everywhere at a nearby park just decimating a few trees

11054328_10204934364293528_3526085801289

11148833_10204934365013546_5800132463563

That one (66) was a hot one, all right, but the following winter (66-67) had several nice storms, as you can remember, Uncle.  Let's see if the pattern holds.  I don't fancy a summer with relentless heat, however.

hard to believe we are talking about 50 years ago...1966-67 was a great winter...it had the best Christmas Eve storm of my lifetime...

When I lived in Jackson as a kid those things were everywhere. You could hear them crunching the leaves on a quiet day. We'd all have to go inside when they sprayed pesticide every year.

Last spring I came across these caterpillars hanging from webs everywhere at a nearby park just decimating a few trees

11054328_10204934364293528_3526085801289

11148833_10204934365013546_5800132463563

Maybe these are gypsy moths.  I remember them dropping down on their threads when they were sprayed from above, in the good old days (??), with DDT.   :arrowhead:  

No these were small, almost looked like inch worm they like to chew up oak trees, among others.  Les

Just guessing:  maybe young Gypsy Moth caterpillars.  They do like oaks.  Destroyed whole forests in the Blue Ridge of VA, when I visited there way back in 1992.  Oaks too.  

Here's some info on Gypsy Moths that is helpful:

http://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/divisions/pi/pdf/GMhomeowner.pdf

Anyhow, I'm starting to feel itchy, so I'm glad I am not an entomologist myself. Lol.

hard to believe we are talking about 50 years ago...1966-67 was a great winter...it had the best Christmas Eve storm of my lifetime...

Love that winter, even in memory.  It was the last really great winter for me, before going to live out West in late 72.  1969 had the Lindsay Storm, which I enjoyed in nearby New Haven.  I also missed 1960-61.  

Love that winter, even in memory.  It was the last really great winter for me, before going to live out West in late 72.  1969 had the Lindsay Storm, which I enjoyed in nearby New Haven.  I also missed 1960-61.  

you got out just in time to miss the least snowiest winter on record...until 1993-94 the best winter was 1977-78....there were only four storms over 10" from 1970 to 1992...

That's a pretty funny video. But not for the tree.

Speaking of which i have seen mega gypsy moth nests everywhere. Going to be a bad season for those things

I saw nests in the trees scattered along the wantagh parkway. From sunrise hwy almost all the way to the northern state.

April was only 2.5 degrees warmer than December in NYC.

December 2015....50.8

April 2016............53.3

While April had the warmer monthly max temp, April had the cooler monthly min.

December 2015.....max..72...min..34

April 2016..............max..82...min..26

RC, since I sense that you have a pretty good connection with the celestial sphere...do you believe that the balance of my incarnation will be reasonably pleasant or fraught with difficulty?  Things have improved markedly since the '90's...but invariably I fall victim to a "what have you done for me lately" mentality when interfacing with those perched above...   

I take nothing for granted; not even my next breath...as My Father taught me time & again about "Here today; gone tomorrow"...with regards to the general fragility of conscious human existence. 

I would have sent you a PM; but that isn't working for me at present...

Oh, and if you could reply in prose rather than verse; I would appreciate it.  I'm pretty good at deciphering metaphor...but sometimes even I get confounded when three or four divergent themes can be plausibly inferred.

The difficulties in your life will not be personal. The source of any unpleasantness will be the result of what you witness.

You, Pamela are and will always be the Muse. On the surface you will be our Nicklaus but in the end and often too late we will see you,as Hoffman did. The Muse/Goddess of poetry.

Archived