• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

I guess you forgot what happened last March. The analogs suggest a cold and stormy March.

What are you talking about? Once we got past the March 5th snowstorm, we flipped to a much warmer, and more spring like pattern. Sure we got some snow on the 20th, but around here we barely got anything notable. I expected much more with such a cold pattern we had last year.

By Feb 2010, a lot of people (not just here) were talking about how March would be cold and snowy, as based on the models, with the weeklies showing no end to winter in sight. Come March we practically flipped to spring.

It's February now (and in a much warmer year than 2015, if I might add), and already half the month has been filled with busts or snowstorms that turn to rain after a few hours (the 16th storm doesn't look very promising at all). I don't think March will hold much, if any, snow for us, aside from a freak snowstorm. Though I suppose early March could have some potential especially if we get a nor'easter type storm, with us on the frozen side, so that's something I guess. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about? Once we got past the March 5th snowstorm, we flipped to a much warmer, and more spring like pattern. Sure we got some snow on the 20th, but around here we barely got anything notable. I expected much more with such a cold pattern we had last year.

By Feb 2010, a lot of people (not just here) were talking about how March would be cold and snowy, as based on the models, with the weeklies showing no end to winter in sight. Come March we practically flipped to spring.

It's still only February (and in a much warmer year than 2015, if I might add), and we can't even get a normal snowstorm without 80% of it being rain (the 16th storm doesn't look very promising at all). I don't think March will hold much, if any, snow for us, aside from a freak snowstorm. Though I suppose early March could have some potential especially if we get a nor'easter type storm, with us on the frozen side, so that's something I guess. 

Were you out of the region on January 23rd ?

It's February now (and in a much warmer year than 2015, if I might add), and already half the month has been filled with busts or snowstorms that turn to rain after a few hours (the 16th storm doesn't look very promising at all). I don't think March will hold much, if any, snow for us, aside from a freak snowstorm. Though I suppose early March could have some potential especially if we get a nor'easter type storm, with us on the frozen side, so that's something I guess. 

Last March had over 18" of snow and was -4.5 with 1 60 degree day late in the month

It was still our 7th snowiest March. And it's not like we flipped to 60s and 70s mid month

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Exactly, which means that such Marches aren't exactly normal, and shouldn't be predicted to happen just based on certain years that were known to be frigid and snow, such as last year, which is obviously quite different from this year.

And sure we didn't flip to 60s and 70s, but we did flip to the 40s and 50s right after the snowstorm that happened on the 5th, which isn't exactly a good sign for snow in March this year, considering it happened even during such a cold winter.

Last March had over 18" of snow and was -4.5 with 1 60 degree day late in the month

Last March was the 2nd coldest at this station during 37 years of record.

Last March was the 2nd coldest at this station during 37 years of record.

Doesn't matter. 40s-50s isn't deep winter, regardless of how cold it was compared to average. And that is just more proof that cold Marches shouldn't be expected, especially considering the fact that the 40s and 50s last March still made it the 2nd coldest in 37 years, as you stated. Odds are greatly against next March being similar in temps, and likely snow as well, to last March.

Doesn't matter. 40s-50s isn't deep winter, regardless of how cold it was compared to average. And that is just more proof that cold Marches shouldn't be expected, especially considering the fact that the 40s and 50s last March still made it the 2nd coldest in 37 years, as you stated. Odds are greatly against next March being similar in temps, and likely snow as well, to last March.

I'd agree, I think we were lucky to get the KU storm ( realizing not everyone here did ) and while I wouldn't rule anything out, I think winter has shot its wad after this weekend. Last week of Feb and first week of March can deliver, but more often than not, it's time to break out the rain galoshes and start putting new lines on the fishing reels, while prepping the garden for cold weather crops. Most years in the 80's I would be on the water the first week of March catching flounder.

I'd agree, I think we were lucky to get the KU storm ( realizing not everyone here did ) and while I wouldn't rule anything out, I think winter has shot its wad after this weekend. Last week of Feb and first week of March can deliver, but more often than not, it's time to break out the rain galoshes and start putting new lines on the fishing reels, while prepping the garden for cold weather crops. Most years in the 80's I would be on the water the first week of March catching flounder.

We are definitely not in the 80s

Archived