• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm Obs 1/22-23

Mr Bob

Really good looking band rolling through the 81 corridor down to Knoxville. Hope some of you are awake to see it.

That band started moving in right after I awoke this morning.  It seems be enhancing as it comes in, and the snow is coming down hard enough to reduce visibility now.  A nice morning surprise, because not much additional snow fell overnight.  Hopefully, this will continue for awhile, because it seems to be rotating down from eastern KY into eastern TN. 

MRX_loop.gif

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final totals. I received 2.5+" more last night. MRX gets a nod for predicting snow when the HRRR and RAP showed nothing. The NAM and RGEM were on the money for last night. The total IMBY for the Middle TN Mauler is 5.5". The Wednesday system was good for 4.5". (Right now we have 8" on the ground here in west Kingsport.) So a conservative 10" for the week. I will take that any day, any time. What a great week of discussion for the Tennessee forum. Happy for the Nashville area to finally score some snow. 1'+ totals for some in middle TN. Now, it's time to get mempho and the southern Valley some snow. Lots of the veterans out posting on this storm and also our folks from Alabama, Kentucky. Mississippi, and north Georgia. We even had a poster from southern Indiana and is welcome any time. And some new folks! Hey you all, we have five more weeks of winter. Don't be strangers. I haven't looked at the totals for the MA(news reports have them at 2+'), but we were able to track one of the great storms. Will be interesting to see if it becomes a Kocin storm. I bet it does, but I won't speak for him.

23.7 with moderate snow falling here.  Up to a little more than 2" and its still coming down good.  Had me a breakfast of bacon and eggs while watching it.  Eggcellent.  :) May close in on 3" before all is said and done.  It appears on the radar what little moisture that drifts in the valley from KY gets squeezed out here and the mountains.  I've seen the several times with departing winter storms.  I'd say in the next hour or so, the moisture will dissipate and pull out of the area. 

Great summary, Carver...all of us less frequent posters really appreciate the standard bearers for our forum...you, Tnweathernut, Stove, 1234, John1122...lots of others, too. Its been an amazing week...lots of fun tracking this with you guys.

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully, the board will grow with each of these events. And yes, some great discussion.

Maybe a quarter inch but still a nice winter scene this morning.

Nice pic, Mr. Bob. Glad you all were able to get some flakes.

Still seeing light to moderate snow with occasional heavy bursts in downtown JC. Closing in on 4" since last night. Combined with the 1" of slop that fell during the initial band and the 4.5" on Wednesday, this has been an awesome week of winter. I'll echo Carver's sentiments in congratulating Middle TN and welcoming all the new members and lurkers. Stick around; we follow winter until the last threat on the 384 hr GFS disappears.

I am not complaining this has been a great week but I have a question.  I don't know if there is an answer or it is just a coincidence. Is there is a large mountain on the plateau that blocks snow?  I live close to where Pellissippi and 40 intersect and there has been a long hole in the radar from the plateau to 40 almost all night long.  This happens with many storms. Is there a reason this takes place? If you look at radar on radar scope it is very evident now.

Well, it appears the event has wound down here now.  Just a few left over flurries.  Ended up with a little over 2.5" of snow.  Roads covered and icy this morning, so I'm glad its Saturday, and I don't have to be anywhere. Most of the snow actually fell after daybreak today.  I didn't see a great deal overnight--barely an inch. 

Congrats to everyone who got some snow, and for those who didn't--here's hoping the next one is yours.

Ended up with about 2.5in of new snow this morning from the nice band that developed. Combined with the 1 from overnight, and the half inch from yesterday morning, the event total was 4in. I am quite surprised I must say. Another great event!! 2 back to back nice snows. Thanks to everyone for providing detailed analysis, snow maps, and discussion. That's what makes this board the best one out there!

I am not complaining this has been a great week but I have a question.  I don't know if there is an answer or it is just a coincidence. Is there is a large mountain on the plateau that blocks snow?  I live close to where Pellissippi and 40 intersect and there has been a long hole in the radar from the plateau to 40 almost all night long.  This happens with many storms. Is there a reason this takes place? If you look at radar on radar scope it is very evident now.

For this part of the plateau radar coverage is bad for this type of snow. It falls out of the lower part of the atmosphere and once you get so far from the radar the radar is too high to see a lot of it. 

Light snow and flurries all day today. I love the storms that keep you in the clouds and snow showers the whole next day. Might be a while before we have a good chance like this again. It was pretty good week for most of the forum.

I ended up with about an inch from this one.  Chattanooga to Knoxville were the last areas to get cold.  I had nice big flakes at 33 degrees yesterday evening but it had a hard time piling up.  If we had dropped a few degrees earlier in the afternoon when areas around us were dropping we'd probably have gotten 3-6 inches.  I'm not disappointed and I think MRX made the right call.  It was a lot of fun tracking this one on the forums with you folks and I'm super happy middle TN got a good one.  I've been getting lots of pictures texted to me from family all day of deep snow.  Great storm!

Incredible pictures above capture the glory of snow. All, thanks for sharing! Last night was a war trying to get Chatty changed over. After a steady march of snow from HSV to Signal Mtn, it takes 2 more hours to cool our column sufficiently over CHA. Really it is no surprise since we have another 1,500 FT too cool down to the Valley floor, but wow was it frustrating.  :weight_lift:

Comma head arrives and starts as rain; I'm thinking heartbreaking whiff for Chatty. I thought it might break up or even dissipate, but I failed to mentally prepare for rain. Yeah my head knew, but my heart saw the march of snow down US-72. Eventually it snowed in Chatty and I got about a half inch. Signal Mtn picked up 1-2 inches. Saturday took our daughter up there to play in the snow. Everything turned out splendid!  :thumbsup:

The aftermath of our middle Tennessee snow storm.6672074900772392047a4c699b88c929.jpg169505b178b8a712abd41988600d01d6.jpga0a8db769c00406e92f5cd28da03ae1f.jpg30acee4157cca3597742e27c4d85cfb8.jpga30552f786bee00f4b73f29c707b125c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Times like these that one rethinks the idea of planting Slash Pine along side the interstate system; these are great pines but have been planted outside their natural zones, closer to the gulf coast; usually it is ice that reaks havoc on them but heavy wet snow can also do a number; I would say those are close to snapping.

My storm totals run neck and neck with Carver's. Approximately 5.15" from this storm imby and 4.35" from the previous. This has been a great time on the forum and I echo Vol Man's sentiments on thanks to our stalwart posters for making the event(s) so interesting and educating! Thanks to our Mets Mr. Bob (best ringleader of any circus on the site!) and nrgjeff for their comments and insights. Thanks to those who have posted photos as well!

Really glad to see folks hit it big with this system who normally don't, and my sympathies to the folks out west who missed out. Good luck during the rest of the winter, y'all!

Archived