• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Pre Turkey Snow Trouncing Obs

dryslot

nice pic..where are you located and how much did u get? You have any mixing or changeover this morning?

hehe no mixing here

this pic was taken on the west side of montreal island. i got about 2.5 inches and the snow was fairly wet, the snow growth was poor but that was expected on the northern fringes here. while it was chilly, it wasn't the true deep quebec cold that really cranks out the SWFE snow thumps here.

on the south shore of the island they picked up around 4 inches with amounts increasing as you go towards the US border.

i think the airport/downtown will come in around 3 inches.

because the snow was quite wet and the temps hovering around 28-30F, the roads were in good shape early this AM.

i didnt see any impressive traffic cam pics to post. low impact event here.

still it was nice to hear the sound of the plow last night around 3AM (at which i promptly got out of bed to look :) )for the first time this season.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a report of 4.5" in 3 hours (7-10 AM) from Kennebec County, Maine. Right underneath the heavy band from IZG through AUG.

Had 3.2" with 0.34" LE at 7:10 when I headed out to the woods, and there was 7.3" total when I returned almost exactly 3 hr later, temps mid-upper 20s. The spot where I'd taken the snow core had nearly 5" (though it was drifted in a bit) so I must've been under the same band as that observer in Mt. Vernon. The 4" increase was a bit surprising, even though I'd been out in it the whole time, because the flakes have all been small. The largest I saw land on my sleeves was perhaps 0.1", and most were closer to half that diameter. Tiny crystals like that usall don't (in my experience) accum at 1"+ per hr. Radar at 10:30 suggests the good stuff exits about noon, which should bring my total to 9-10". Largest Nov storm I've experienced anywhere is 8.5" (several times), so this is all good.

Unfortunately for my deermeat prospects, I chose the wrong sequence of places to sit first and 2nd. As I left spot #2 for the short (900') walk home, I cut a big track about 50 yards from the seat. It had about 2" new snow, so probably was made while I was at spot #1, farther from the house. :( Given the grainy and dry snow plus the 2" over the tracks, I was unable even to determine which way the critter had been walking, so my afternoon attempt will be guesswork.

Had 3.2" with 0.34" LE at 7:10 when I headed out to the woods, and there was 7.3" total when I returned almost exactly 3 hr later, temps mid-upper 20s. The spot where I'd taken the snow core had nearly 5" (though it was drifted in a bit) so I must've been under the same band as that observer in Mt. Vernon. The 4" increase was a bit surprising, even though I'd been out in it the whole time, because the flakes have all been small. The largest I saw land on my sleeves was perhaps 0.1", and most were closer to half that diameter. Tiny crystals like that usall don't (in my experience) accum at 1"+ per hr. Radar at 10:30 suggests the good stuff exits about noon, which should bring my total to 9-10". Largest Nov storm I've experienced anywhere is 8.5" (several times), so this is all good.

We were pouring small flakes for a while there. I've seen that fine stuff really dump before, especially near the warm layer aloft. The Groundhog Day blizzard last year in Iowa comes to mind. We were pouring small flakes that were being shattered by the wind too, and averaged well over an 1"/hour.

hehe no mixing here

this pic was taken on the west side of montreal island. i got about 2.5 inches and the snow was fairly wet, the snow growth was poor but that was expected on the northern fringes here. while it was chilly, it wasn't the true deep quebec cold that really cranks out the SWFE snow thumps here.

on the south shore of the island they picked up around 4 inches with amounts increasing as you go towards the US border.

i think the airport/downtown will come in around 3 inches.

because the snow was quite wet and the temps hovering around 28-30F, the roads were in good shape early this AM.

i didnt see any impressive traffic cam pics to post. low impact event here.

still it was nice to hear the sound of the plow last night around 3AM (at which i promptly got out of bed to look :) )for the first time this season.

Thanks for the obs!

The tops of the hills around here are completely bare and the bottoms are white. Don't see that very often. The line looks to be somewhere around 700-800 feet.

Guess they must have been slightly cooler allowing a fluffier snow that didn't cling.

Edit: I had a low of 31.9 last night and a nearby PWS at 1350' had 27.7

We were pouring small flakes for a while there. I've seen that fine stuff really dump before, especially near the warm layer aloft. The Groundhog Day blizzard last year in Iowa comes to mind. We were pouring small flakes that were being shattered by the wind too, and averaged well over an 1"/hour.

Where in Iowa were you? My company's in CID.

33.6/32

my dad just left for quebec just outside of coaticook hows the driving up there he was wondering how the conditions on 91 would be up that way..

Try here for NVT:

http://170.222.32.148/10/

and here for Quebe border crossings:

http://www.quebec511.gouv.qc.ca/en/cameras/postes_frontaliers/index.asp

More I-91 cameras can be found here:

http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf

More Quebec camera's can be found here:

http://www.quebec511.gouv.qc.ca/en/cameras/

HTH!

Are you NWS at GYX?

When are the strong winds expected to kick in?

33.6/32

I am.

And I'm not anticipating much for the interior for winds. But over the next few hours we should see a good surge over the waters and adjacent coastline. Already gusting to the high 40s at the buoys, so storm warning looks good.

8.5" visual estimate and its tapered to flurries for the time being. Nice thump dump. The 8.0" report at 10am out of Moscow is in Stowe. Moscow is a part of the town of Stowe so that report matches the 8.2" I had at the resort around that time. My 6.0" report at 6am made the list, too.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

1 S MOSCOW 8.0 1004 AM 11/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 S WOLCOTT 7.0 754 AM 11/23 BROADCAST MEDIA

5 N JEFFERSONVILLE 6.9 817 AM 11/23 CO-OP OBSERVER

2 S EDEN 6.6 747 AM 11/23 CO-OP OBSERVER

3 NE HYDE PARK 6.4 745 AM 11/23 COCORAHS

SMUGGLERS NOTCH 6.0 621 AM 11/23 STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT

Also, this is TEXTBOOK easterly flow orographic distribution of snowfall... Spine eastward is golden, general uplift area, then you have massive downsloping on the western slope communities into the Champlain Valley, and then general upslope again into the Adirondacks. I had a friend drive through Richmond this morning and confirm the 1" report... he said he had 4" in BTV then there was nothing a few miles away in Richmond, followed by a massive increase back up to 6-8" within a mile of the Waterbury line. He said in about 2 miles on the interstate the snowfall quadrupled with no change in elevation, lol. Ahhh what it is like living with high terrain around.

I am.

And I'm not anticipating much for the interior for winds. But over the next few hours we should see a good surge over the waters and adjacent coastline. Already gusting to the high 40s at the buoys, so storm warning looks good.

Thanks. I hope you enjoy GYX. Big terriroty! I was part ot your CWA from 2005-2008 (Bath, ME).

Archived