Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Pre Turkey Snow Trouncing Obs

dryslot

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 7.1” Snow/0.76” L.E.

Snow started up around 11:05 P.M. last night as I noted; it started to accumulate right at that point with a temperature of 32 F, but it took some time to ramp up in intensity. The last time I checked outside in the evening was probably around 11:45 P.M., and the accumulation on the board was still less than half an inch, but snowfall intensity was at least moderate. With 7.1 inches on the board this morning at the 6:00 A.M. observation time, the snowfall rate comes in at a bit over an inch an hour for the overnight period. There was a good amount of liquid in the 7.1-inch snow core; at ~¾ of an inch of liquid, it's on the higher end of what I usually get with the 6 to 12 hour intervals. The snow is a bit dense/wet, as indicated by the roughly 9 to 1 ratio.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 7.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.76 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.3

Snow Density: 10.7% H2O

Temperature: 32.0 F

Sky: Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

That's the highest ob I've seen so far, J.Spin! Yeah we are getting crushed even though radar isn't that impressive... we are also going to get into that comma head that's back towards NY state.

This will be nice, I think double digits is in reach for central/northern VT mountain areas. No problem. That dryslot is getting pinched off and pushed east now.

BTV probably would've been good with a Waring up here. At 4am the forecast said 1-3" additional. We've had 3" since 4am and its coming down hard.

over to sleet now with the occassional snowflake. up to 25 inches in 3 measureable snow events on November 23. This is the year that it snows whenever it is possible, even in a crappy pattern. Unfortunately we aren't building up any snow pack. My pond did freeze over again last night despite a surface temp that only got to 31 briefly.

I just went out and made a 7:00 A.M. check on the snowboard to see how the past hour went – there’s 0.9” new on the board. That’s still close to 1”/hr, but I wouldn’t call the snowfall intensity more than moderate right now.

You're probably in the ballpark with the Montpelier area which makes sense based on latitude... MPV had 0.74" liquid total from the ASOS (sometimes they can run low, too, in snowfall) melting can at 6:50am.

MVL is showing 0.40" liquid but its also been showing northing less than 9 mile visibility flurries. Their liquid is usually not even close to surrounding areas, but with a N-S gradient it could be close to correct. I bet we are around 6" in the village compared to your 8" off to the south.

I assume they have an AWPAG (weighing gauge) now? If so I'd assume the w.e. is close given the calm winds.

You definitely know more about that stuff than I do... but yeah its probably pretty close with no winds either way. I just feel some of those sites are a lot better than other for QPF recording in snowstorms.

Archived