Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Pre Turkey Snow Trouncing Obs

dryslot

Just got home and measured 8.1"

I was in Saco this evening where there is only a coating. That persisted 10 miles inland and then, just like this morning on my commute, it was like a switch was turned on at the Hollis/Buxton line. The trees are heavy with snow ... looks like the dead of winter. Had a large branch come down and power was interrupted. My current seasonal take of 18.4" is nearly 25% of seasonal average.

Wow not bad Eric! very nice surprise to come home to. This is just a warmup we are getting this fall until the real deal arrives in a few weeks and the trees are heavy till April.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14" fell during the storm here in Halifax(YHZ). 12" in my backyard. A general 10 - 16" snowfall for the province. A great start. Let's hope it continues.

We were glad to make the handoff from SNE through the GOM to you. We would be delighted to do that with frequency this winter. I want to visit Halifax during a blizzard at some point. Is it a nice city to walk around/hang out in?

Event totals: 11.0” Snow/1.19” L.E.

Based on the forecast, this should be the last round of observations for this event. Currently the yard snowpack is at 8 inches, and although this is well within one S.D. for the data I have on the start of continuous snowpack at this location (Nov 28 ± 9 d), after today there are four days with forecast highs in the upper 40s and even lower 50s with some showers before it cools back down, so this is probably not quite the start just yet.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

Yeah we picked up a dusting of 1/4" here last night. Was snowing lightly on my drive into work at 5am.

Looks absolutely awesome out there now with the sun breaking through the clouds and all the snow caked trees.

Ahh thanks for verifying Bolton's total for me, J.Spin.... haha, their snow report only said 5-7" as of noon and I just couldn't imagine that being right given that you had over 10" at your house and we had 8-9" up here at that point. It looks like they did end up getting that 10-12" I would've thought they got.

Glad to help PF – sometimes I’m just as happy to get out there and check on the snow depths in the higher elevations and enjoy the tour, even if I’m not expecting the descent to be fantastic. That’s the advantage of being just a few minutes from the mountain, even if it’s a mess up there, there’s not much loss in terms of time, gas, etc. Yesterday’s tour was definitely one of those where I didn’t anticipate anything great since there was no base, but it turned out to be fine since the snow was reasonably dense and well over an inch of liquid equivalent was put down. I was surprised with the way the wind had affected the deposition of the snow up there, since it didn’t seem like an especially windy event. To ensure my snow depth numbers are accurate, I’ve got that calibrated measurement ski pole that I use, which essentially allows me unlimited sampling during the tour (especially during the ascent), but things were more variable than usual yesterday. I always keep an average going in my head from the samplings, but it’s never quite as fun as down at the house where the snow falls so evenly most of the time.

Glad to help PF – sometimes I’m just as happy to get out there and check on the snow depths in the higher elevations and enjoy the tour, even if I’m not expecting the descent to be fantastic. That’s the advantage of being just a few minutes from the mountain, even if it’s a mess up there, there’s not much loss in terms of time, gas, etc. Yesterday’s tour was definitely one of those where I didn’t anticipate anything great since there was no base, but it turned out to be fine since the snow was reasonably dense and well over an inch of liquid equivalent was put down. I was surprised with the way the wind had affected the deposition of the snow up there, since it didn’t seem like an especially windy event. To ensure my snow depth numbers are accurate, I’ve got that calibrated measurement ski pole that I use, which essentially allows me unlimited sampling during the tour (especially during the ascent), but things were more variable than usual yesterday. I always keep an average going in my head from the samplings, but it’s never quite as fun as down at the house where the snow falls so evenly most of the time.

Love the German engineered calibrated ski pole. Is the basket removable?

Yeah this was a good dense snowfall... down in town it was a little crunchy this morning as we did get up to 33F and then it froze last night, while up here at the resort its still fluffy. Its an interesting combination of dense and fluffy if that makes sense... not wet in the snowball building sense but it has some heft. We had no wind in the base area here yesterday but it was breezy up top as the Nose weather station was hitting gusts to 50-55mph out of the southeast. Its always interesting because the drifting is the exact opposite of our usual windy days which are NW flow... with SE winds the snow piles up in areas that I don't necessarily expect it to. And I love that ski pole, haha.

Love the German engineered calibrated ski pole. Is the basket removable?

It's a composite pole with the whole integrated basket, so it doesn't really come off easily, but the measurements are just written on a piece of white electrical tape adhered to the pole. Throughout the season I often have to rewrite some of the labels and even replace portions of the tape due to wear and tear. The measurement label is oriented so that it is facing outward away from the skis, but occasionally it does end up in the other hand and takes a little beating from the ski edges. I think I've wrapped an additional layer of packing tape on the pole at times, and that can slow the wearing process a bit. I'm really happy with the poles though; I've only had the measurement line on there for the past few seasons, but in writing this response I realize I've had the poles themselves now for 15-20 years and they've seen hundreds and hundreds of ski days during that time, so they have really held up. I used to break an aluminum pole or two every season, but these composite puppies have really held up well and certainly don’t owe me anything. Keeping the pole straps off like many tree skiers do has probably helped give them (and certainly my shoulders) a nice long life. Sorry for the somewhat OT, but hopefully it’s not a big deal since I think most observations from the storm are complete by this point.

It's a composite pole with the whole integrated basket, so it doesn't really come off easily, but the measurements are just written on a piece of white electrical tape adhered to the pole. Throughout the season I often have to rewrite some of the labels and even replace portions of the tape due to wear and tear. The measurement label is oriented so that it is facing outward away from the skis, but occasionally it does end up in the other hand and takes a little beating from the ski edges. I think I've wrapped an additional layer of packing tape on the pole at times, and that can slow the wearing process a bit. I'm really happy with the poles though; I've only had the measurement line on there for the past few seasons, but in writing this response I realize I've had the poles themselves now for 15-20 years and they've seen hundreds and hundreds of ski days during that time, so they have really held up. I used to break an aluminum pole or two every season, but these composite puppies have really held up well and certainly don’t owe me anything. Keeping the pole straps off like many tree skiers do has probably helped give them (and certainly my shoulders) a nice long life. Sorry for the somewhat OT, but hopefully it’s not a big deal since I think most observations from the storm are complete by this point.

Composite ski poles last forever... those things are impossible to break. It continues to snow lightly here at Stowe... very small flakes. Like the equivilent of drizzle falling out of this low stratus. My car has a very thin sheen of new snow on it since 5am.

I have X country ski poles that date back to around Thanksgiving 1983. :) I got that set of Rossignol x-country skis at the Ski Market in Latham. the moved, but may still exist.

Composite ski poles last forever... those things are impossible to break. It continues to snow lightly here at Stowe... very small flakes. Like the equivilent of drizzle falling out of this low stratus. My car has a very thin sheen of new snow on it since 5am.

Here's BTV's final snowfall map... widespread 6-12" snowfall across their county warning area with the exception of the western slopes of the Green Mountains into the Vermont side of the Champlain Valley. Those areas that usually jackpot in a big way during NW flow upslope events got downsloped in a big way from easterly winds in this event. Then that east wind upsloped into the Adirondacks so the NY side of the Champlain Valley saw widespread 8-10" at the same elevations that the VT side of the valley had 1-4".

I see East Middlebury only had 2" and they were progged to get something like a foot based on QPF and model soundings there in central New England... same with Rutland, 2" from a modeled 1.5" of QPF. Easterly downsloping can be pretty severe off the Green Mountain spine as parcels of air are forced downward for 4,000+ feet. I remember living on the west slope and having blue sky from downsloping while literally 5 miles away in any direction is snowing 1"/hr.

These reports from the west slope communities that get crushed on NW flow are incredible...the downsloping from Mansfield was quite severe. Underhill on the west side of Mansfield got 3" while we got 9" in Stowe on the east side of the mountain.

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...

4 NNE UNDERHILL 2.9 700 AM 11/24 COCORAHS

3 SSE RICHMOND 2.5 700 AM 11/24 COCORAHS

1 E NASHVILLE 1.6 645 AM 11/24 NWS EMPLOYEE

ESSEX CENTER 1.5 812 AM 11/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 NNW JERICHO 1.2 700 AM 11/24 COCORAHS

Great snowfall for the Lake Placid and Whiteface area I see.

Here's BTV's final snowfall map... widespread 6-12" snowfall across their county warning area with the exception of the western slopes of the Green Mountains into the Vermont side of the Champlain Valley. Those areas that usually jackpot in a big way during NW flow upslope events got downsloped in a big way from easterly winds in this event. Then that east wind upsloped into the Adirondacks so the NY side of the Champlain Valley saw widespread 8-10" at the same elevations that the VT side of the valley had 1-4".

I see East Middlebury only had 2" and they were progged to get something like a foot based on QPF and model soundings there in central New England... same with Rutland, 2" from a modeled 1.5" of QPF. Easterly downsloping can be pretty severe off the Green Mountain spine as parcels of air are forced downward for 4,000+ feet. I remember living on the west slope and having blue sky from downsloping while literally 5 miles away in any direction is snowing 1"/hr.

These reports from the west slope communities that get crushed on NW flow are incredible...the downsloping from Mansfield was quite severe. Underhill on the west side of Mansfield got 3" while we got 9" in Stowe on the east side of the mountain.

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...

4 NNE UNDERHILL 2.9 700 AM 11/24 COCORAHS

3 SSE RICHMOND 2.5 700 AM 11/24 COCORAHS

1 E NASHVILLE 1.6 645 AM 11/24 NWS EMPLOYEE

ESSEX CENTER 1.5 812 AM 11/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 NNW JERICHO 1.2 700 AM 11/24 COCORAHS

Well you have the CON total and the obs from 2 Bow people here. CON came in with only 2.7". I think our Bow posters were 4-5" or so.

I measured 3.5 after it had rained for a while and warmed above freezing, but it was low ratio obviously so probably not much more than 4 if any.

Archived