joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Pre Turkey Snow Trouncing Obs

dryslot

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I'm noticing is Springfield, VT is getting better viz... despite what seems like heavy echoes. That cannot be good for snow growth and other things. Meanwhile KLEB also had its viz go up. If they don't pile up now, they don't stand a chance in heck. It should be sleeting there within the next 3 hours.

I should have stayed with my earlier darn 3.5-7... but bumped to 4.5-9... stupid.

+FZRA here now at 31.3F. It may edge above freezing in another hour if this very slow rise continues. I just had to go out in it for a second time and throw hot water on my dish to get the internet working again. That's always fun.

I actually had a very nasty thumb injury re: cleaning off the dish. Back on 10/29, the dish was getting snow covered (here in the nw bronx). The problem is that the dish is up a good 25 feet. I need a ladder and an extended broom. First two times, I had no problem. Third time, I wasn't wearing gloves, and my nerves were thrown off. I open the ladder, and, in one of the place it extends, it went right over my thumb and ripped a pretty good piece of skin off. Just finishing healing now.

I was stupid and paid the price.

Snowing steadily, not sure how much is out there but looks like a couple inches so far. Snow growth doesn't look all that good (can't be doing better than 10:1 with these flakes) out the window, but that's to be expected being just north of the best forcing and warm temps in the snow growth zone.

Its all white out there, its quiet, and it smells like snow... 28F

In an interesting twist, the western slopes down to BTV area is warming up very quickly with ESE downsloping winds. BTV up to 33F this hour now. Intellicast radar is picking up on that warming... I'm not sure if they are actually raining on the other side if the spine but its interesting to note that do to downsloping that western side has gone to 32-34F. Check out the temps here at O'Dark-Thirty and see that those west slope communities (some of which are up at 1,000ft or so, most are over 500ft at least) are now sneaking above freezing with the compressional warming, while further away from the terrain out near the lakeshore is still 29-31F.

Let me know.

I guess I underestimated the amount. Roughly 5", but I'll do an exact measurement with water equiv in a few since the snow began at 11pm.

Still ripping all snow at 32.2F. I saw a bright, purple flash in the sky when I went out, but I heard no thunder. I must be losing it. I see nothing even remotely close on the Vaisala lightning explorer.

I guess I underestimated the amount. Roughly 5", but I'll do an exact measurement with water equiv in a few since the snow began at 11pm.

Still ripping all snow at 32.2F. I saw a bright, purple flash in the sky when I went out, but I heard no thunder. I must be losing it. I see nothing even remotely close on the Vaisala lightning explorer.

could be transformer or something. your snow is probably pretty wet.

Still all snow and no signs of sleet. The flakes aren't even mangled yet. Looks like radar "smoothed" out a bit echo wise. There were a few shotgun blasts from breaking limbs though. This is a much denser snow than Halloween.

About a 1/2" on the cleared board so we're getting ~1"/hr rates. Still 32.2F.

Still all snow and no signs of sleet. The flakes aren't even mangled yet. Looks like radar "smoothed" out a bit echo wise. There were a few shotgun blasts from breaking limbs though. This is a much denser snow than Halloween.

About a 1/2" on the cleared board so we're getting ~1"/hr rates. Still 32.2F.

Congrats--stay away sleet.!

Congrats on the surprise snow, Mike! :guitar:

THanks--I am surprised, especially since I had rn/sn right at the start. That's how it was when I went to bed at 9:30, so I guess we must have snowed pretty good there for a few hours. Eight more minutes until the moment of truth when my daughter will/willnot get the call that's music to kids ears--whether school's cancelled. When I was a kid, you'd find out on the radio--TV as not wide-spread enough to have announcements. In New London, CT those days couldn't have been very frequent. Of course, I guess I didn't really realize how bad they were until I recognized that we were about the worst place in New England for snow.

flakes are getting larger and I choose to interpret that as better snow growth rather than an approaching changeover...lol. Haven't measured but at least 4 inches of cement. If you are already close to 6 then I am probably over 5. I thinking I am 8-10 miles wsw of Brian and the snow is increasing in the last few minutes

How are things in PWM? (Isn't that where your office is?)

I have Channell 22 on and they just reported that "every inch of western MA is raining". Apparently they haven't asked about my inches......

Raining at PWM. Scooter wondered last night if the immediate Portland area would be toaster&tub worthy and it is. Changeover line is in Buxton, about 15 miles inland.

Archived