• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
1/21/11 Storm Discussion III

ConvectiveSolutions

We've gone through a 40 lb bag of bird food in about three weeks in the back yard feeder (plus we have separate feeders with nyjer and sunflower)! More birds keep showing up every week, and now we're getting a few that we didn't have last year. The snowpack is generally well over a foot before today's storm, and it's not going away soon. We see hawks circling above sometimes, but haven't seen any in the yard lately - at least not when we've been there. Is that a snow bunting in your avatar? Never seen one in person.

Great point, especially here. We needed that badly for our somewhat brown mess. We have a very nice depth but it was looking ugly.

How much so far?

This Sharp-shinned Hawk was/is starving. Bad year for little birds and raptors of all sorts whether they eat birds or mammals. Believe me, it is storm-related. Our snowpack really is amazing right now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lollies of -15?

That'll be tough in Old Lyme. I remember some of the cold snaps in the '90s we had highs in the single digits, and I haven't seen anything close since. I remember one day we eeked out a high of like +2 or +4 (forget the exact date) but that was the coldest I've ever seen during the day and is unfathomable for that part of the state by today's standards.

Yeah, we didn't make it nearly that cold then. Hmph. BDR has a record of 4 on 1/16/09 for third all-time and 3 on 1/17/09 is just tied for third. Balmy compared to you.

So yeah, my 2004 thing up there stands for here.

yeah...like I was saying a week ago when we dipped below zero...some of the shoreline towns can really radiate amazingly well when you get just a mile or two inland. I was completely caught off guard with how cold it got 1/17/09...forecast was for around zero.

BTW...can we move talk of next week's storm to another thread? Either Tips or Ginx's?

Came in from shoveling...was very light, with the exception of the crap at the end of the driveway, just took a while to do b/c the snow piles are so high you have to throw the snow. If we get crushed mid-week going to have real issues with snow placement.

Driving is getting a bit interesting here...there are some roads where you to swing out halfway into another lane because the right lane is halfway blocked. Seeing over the snow piles is getting to be a pain in the azz too.

Driving is getting a bit interesting here...there are some roads where you to swing out halfway into another lane because the right lane is halfway blocked. Seeing over the snow piles is getting to be a pain in the azz too.

Just imagine if we get crushed with like a 8-16'' event mid-week.

Came in from shoveling...was very light, with the exception of the crap at the end of the driveway, just took a while to do b/c the snow piles are so high you have to throw the snow. If we get crushed mid-week going to have real issues with snow placement.

This. 3+ feet of snow (from all the snow shoveled from the driveway)+ 3 foot walls on both sides of the driveway+ a lot more snow=no where to put the snow.

Agreed on this. I have 6 foot high piles along the side of my driveway. Barely can throw it over and the snowblower is having a hard time getting over it.

With another storm on the horizon, I don't know where to put any more of the snow. No room.

I guess its a good problem to have :thumbsup:

This. 3+ feet of snow (from all the snow shoveled from the driveway)+ 3 foot walls on both sides of the driveway+ a lot more snow=no where to put the snow.

That'll be tough in Old Lyme. I remember some of the cold snaps in the '90s we had highs in the single digits, and I haven't seen anything close since. I remember one day we eeked out a high of like +2 or +4 (forget the exact date) but that was the coldest I've ever seen during the day and is unfathomable for that part of the state by today's standards.

That cold snap in 2009, I'm pretty sure had Old Lyme down well below zero for lows. Right on the water is difficult, but with good radiational cooling...spots just a mile or two inland could easily be -5 to -10 Monday morning. We'll see how it plays out. Of course, highs won't be held in the single digits, gonna take a more impressive setup to pull that off.

Periscopes out sun-roofs.

:lol:

the snow piles along the side of the road are taller than I am :lol:

A few places will break their all-time January records. I'd think we have to be getting close in some spots.

Next week's storm could certainly get some close, if not over the records...I'm sure Will would have that information.

I have a place at my house (Sudbury) where I built a snow fort during the 12/26 storm for my nieces visiting from Sao Paulo

It gets the snow shoveled from the widest part of the driveway now. it is 7' high and maybe 10'x10'

My wife calls it "Masada"

We get the kind of storm they forecast for next week , and Masada will start to produce local orographic enhancement...........

That cold snap in 2009, I'm pretty sure had Old Lyme down well below zero for lows. Right on the water is difficult, but with good radiational cooling...spots just a mile or two inland could easily be -5 to -10 Monday morning. We'll see how it plays out. Of course, highs won't be held in the single digits, gonna take a more impressive setup to pull that off.

Yeah I had -1, -9, and -10 for lows during that one, and have already been down to -2 this month. My forecast for Monday morning right now is -6 to -11. The shoreline towns radiate pretty well away from the water. The soil is sandy, there's some slight elevation differences so you can get some cold air drainage in spots, and it's mostly rural, plus we have a fresh snow cover as we did in 2009.

Thank you, both, for the response. However, I was making a joke about extreme "lollies". I'm about 2 miles from the water and, during periods of extreme cold (i.e., single digit cold), I can be 3 to 5 degrees colder than folks at the beach early in the morning.

You mean that there is a rule against being told to pull something from my fanny and lick it? You mean everybody has to abide by the rules? Interesting.

No just SnowNH, he has to abide by the rules. If Zeke Mowatt and Robert Perryman were here long as they went to the GTG everything would be cool.

What you refer to was actually a weather discussion, very jovial. Ha ha, funny type stuff. All very normal, if you were ever at WCVB when Harvey and Dick Albert were working together that's how they discused the weather too. (joking).

This last band looks terrible on radar but it's moderate to heavy snow.

Archived