EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
1/21/11 Storm Discussion III

ConvectiveSolutions

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah nice fresh white snow will reflect lots of incoming solar radiation.

Great point, especially here. We needed that badly for our somewhat brown mess. We have a very nice depth but it was looking ugly.

While this thread goes to hell, heavy snow continues in PWM.

How much so far?

This Sharp-shinned Hawk was/is starving. Bad year for little birds and raptors of all sorts whether they eat birds or mammals. Believe me, it is storm-related. Our snowpack really is amazing right now.

post-1364-0-78009600-1295624457.jpg

I don't know Jerry (Weathafella) gets really belligerant at those GTG's. ;p

LOL, I've met Jerry, we had a great time.

Scott, it's not "idiotic", it is what it is; many phsycological phenomena are involuntary and what you "feel you need to do" is irrelevant.

Ray I know what you meant and I do understand it's a real phenomena...but being civil and being a friend are two different things. I don't know 99.9% of the people here personally but I'm friendly to all. Even those that call me out on a bad forecast like kbosch. A line needs to be drawn and not crossed when it comes to instigation and the moderation needs to be done without GTG friendships in mind.

We talk about driving away posters...does anyone think that with the increasing number of female meteorgologists in many markets the incessant dick and balls talk here may outright offend a ton of them? Do you think that's what Turtle wants to read, or Dylan, or any of the others? If you are a pro on tv, or anywhere else do you really want your name tied to this stuff? What if someone gets pissed off at work and you make an out of hand comment here and it gets sent to your boss(es)? I mean when does it end?

Take away the inflammatory and instagative (word?) posts and you'll cut total posts (because of responses) by 30%. Like Ryan said, for every post he makes he has to make ten more defending himself to someone who probably made the original post for kicks and giggles in the first place.

Light but accumulating snow continues.

I haven't looked at MOS, but with fresh snow and maybe a nw-nnw delivery...that is ideal for them.

yeah overall this is as close to an ideal delivery as we've had in quite some time. maybe still a bit too much westerly component in there but it's some pretty substantial cold.

someplace like ORH may have a tough time getting to 7 or 8F on Monday for a high i think.

yes. in case you haven't noticed, there is not one moderator or admin in this thread.

I have. The board in general seems to operate with only a mod or two in each region, and I understand that they have jobs and lives and whatnot and can't be here 24/7/365 which begs the question: instead of black ops, why not just make more full-time mods?

Jeez, I just popped in for a moment to see how much snow everyone was getting. We just eeked out 4" here. The sun has now come out and the wind picked up with lots of snow blowing from the trees. As of this morning we have 14" on the ground...not bad for these parts!

You must be having a pretty good season down there.

Ray I know what you meant and I do understand it's a real phenomena...but being civil and being a friend are two different things. I don't know 99.9% of the people here personally but I'm friendly to all. Even those that call me out on a bad forecast like kbosch. A line needs to be drawn and not crossed when it comes to instigation and the moderation needs to be done without GTG friendships in mind.

We talk about driving away posters...does anyone think that with the increasing number of female meteorgologists in many markets the incessant dick and balls talk here may outright offend a ton of them? Do you think that's what Turtle wants to read, or Dylan, or any of the others? If you are a pro on tv, or anywhere else do you really want your name tied to this stuff? What if someone gets pissed off at work and you make an out of hand comment here and it gets sent to your boss(es)? I mean when does it end?

Take away the inflammatory and instagative (word?) posts and you'll cut total posts (because of responses) by 30%. Like Ryan said, for every post he makes he has to make ten more defending himself to someone who probably made the original post for kicks and giggles in the first place.

I'm sure stuff I say offends some, but I can live with that....someone is always going to be "offended".

Look, all I said was I think it would help if you went to one, but are you obligated or at fault if you don't; no.

We talk about driving away posters...does anyone think that with the increasing number of female meteorgologists in many markets the incessant dick and balls talk here may outright offend a ton of them? Do you think that's what Turtle wants to read, or Dylan, or any of the others?

LOL oh boy don't throw me into this :lol:

I called out the NAM hate but hate away now! Like we talked about yesterday, awful. I wish we had that 12z back :arrowhead: - I really thought it was on board starting the trend when it was a pile of garbage. I was sooo wrong on that. Still can't believe how terrible it was.

I can't wait to go back and compare the maps we were looking at last night. You and I jumped on each other a couple times (no, stop) but obviously it means nothing to us. It's always a good discussion.

It's so tough for Logan to go below 0, but it could be like -1 or something. I'll have to look closer.

it's always an accomplishment. sort of a threshold that differentiates serious winter cold from just below normal cold...imo.

the long-range GFS would suggest we might have a more substantial go at it in 10 to 14 days. who knows.

Great point, especially here. We needed that badly for our somewhat brown mess. We have a very nice depth but it was looking ugly.

How much so far?

This Sharp-shinned Hawk was/is starving. Bad year for little birds and raptors of all sorts whether they eat birds or mammals. Believe me, it is storm-related. Our snowpack really is amazing right now.

Send him this way. We have numerous mice/moles running in our yard this winter. Yum yum

it's always an accomplishment. sort of a threshold that differentiates serious winter cold from just below normal cold...imo.

the long-range GFS would suggest we might have a more substantial go at it in 10 to 14 days. who knows.

Yeah it keeps shoving these polar plunges south.I've noticed this for about the last 5 days now.

Archived