Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Friday, January 21st Storm Discussion II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guinness please

:lol: One of my bosses has come to rely on me reading this at work and really needed to know what to expect for tomorrow. I told her three old men and a bald dude whispered 6-12".

She mobilized a force to help set up our winter carnival tonight instead of Friday night.

WCVB Ch 5 in boston has 10" headlines on their website - The End Is Near! Repent!!!

What's happening at 4:30? I think one of the big factors weighing on OKX is the speed of the system. Seems like they're banking on it being an 8 hour storm, and unless it's snowing moderate to heavily at an inch per hour the entire time, it'll be tough breaking 6 inches in a wide enough area to warrant the warning. Remember, even if some areas get 6 or 7 or 8 inches, as long as most of the forecast zone stays under warning criteria it's still a valid forecast.

I was thinking along those lines as well. What's the Warning criteria for the BOX area? Aren't the NH zones have an inch higher criteria, too?

BOX's forecast is right on the edge of a winter storm warning and an advisory as the map shows pretty widespread 6-7 inch amounts. I'm not sure I agree with a warning unless everyone knows something I don't, but in a snowy winter, people are going to be fine dealing with 5, 6, 7".

Anyway, the NWS forecast has no impact on what actually happens, so not sure why people get all in a tizzy about the whole watch/warning thing. I sometimes think some folks enjoy getting a "big snow" forecast from the NWS, almost more than the actual storm.

EDIT: I'm only looking at QPF values of .4-.75", but it seems like some on here are expecting great ratios? I was just basing the above on a basic 12:1 snowfall.

BOX just updated at 418:

WHILE WE KNOW THIS STORM WILL HAVE A MAJOR IMPACT ON THE MORNING

RUSH HOUR WITH MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW...OUR CONFIDENCE IS MUCH LOWER

ON EXACT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. THE MODELS HAVE TRENDED MUCH FURTHER

NORTHWEST WITH THE TRACK OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS AND CONSENSUS FAVORS

A TRACK OVER THE CAPE COD CANAL OR JUST A BIT EAST OF THAT

LOCATION. THE MODELS ALSO SHOW A RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING SYSTEM...BUT

ALSO ONE THAT IS VERY PROGRESSIVE AND JUST DEVELOPING OVER OUR

REGION. WHILE WE ARE CONFIDENT IN WARM ADVECTION YIELDING A PERIOD

OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW DURING THE MORNING RUSH HOUR...ITS

UNCERTAIN HOW MUCH INFLOW WILL SEE FROM THE DEVELOPING MID LEVEL

CENTER/S. THE MODELS HAVE SPED UP THE PHASING A BIT...SO THE MID

LEVEL CENTERS DEVELOP QUICKER THAN PREVIOUS MODEL RUNS HAVE SHOWED.

THE SNOW WILL QUICKLY MOVE INTO WESTERN MA/NORTHERN CONNECTICUT

BETWEEN 11 PM AND 1 AM. IT SHOULD THEN RAPIDLY ADVANCE EASTWARD

TOWARDS THE COASTAL PLAIN BY 3 AM. ONE THE SNOW ARRIVES IT WILL

COME DOWN MODERATE TO HEAVY AND BOTH THE GFS/NAM SHOW IDEAL

SNOWGROWTH FOR SEVERAL HOURS FRIDAY MORNING. THERE ALSO IS A REALLY

GOOD EPV SIGNATURE WHICH COULD LEAD TO THE POTENTIAL FOR CONVECTIVE

SNOW. THESE SIGNATURES ARE FAVORABLE FOR 1 TO 2 INCH PER HOUR SNOW

FALL RATES.

BASED ON ALL THE INFORMATION ABOVE AND MODEL TRENDS...WILL BE

UPGRADING TO WINTER STORM WARNINGS ACROSS MOST OF SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND. WE EXPECT A SWATH OF 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW IN THIS REGION

OVER A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. THE BIG CONCERN AGAIN IS NOT JUST

THE AMOUNTS BUT WITH THE WORST CONDITIONS OCCURRING DURING MORNING

RUSH HOUR.

lol.. I know really just asking some questions..anyone work for upton or something? anyway its just strange that some where saying that now that it looks closer and better for us that we could have 4-8 with lollies of 10 and then ...nothhing same amount as yesterday..any answers would be nice to the reason why would be greatly appreciated.:)

I really just think this whole even is borderline warning criteria. Model consensus seems to be 0.4" QPF for most of OKX's area in CT. Even at 15:1 that's only 6". I don't see higher ratios in the coastal zones. Combined with a fast moving systems as already mentioned...confidence is probably low that 6" would be exceeded over a large enough area to warrant the warning.

I'm leaning towards 3-6" west of the valley, 5-8" east with a few 10" lollies possible.

The people are angry, working at stop and shop, so many people complaining about how it was 1-3 this morning and now almost a foot. One women said she had lost any trust in the meteorological field.....lol

I would be one of those folks with a sh** eating grin telling everyone, "Hey, now we're getting 10"! Whohooooo! Were's the beer at!"

I have coworkers who don't understand me

3-5 inches for central CT seems oddly conservative from OKX. Even the Euro and GFS give more than .4 QPF and have been trending stronger with each run. Given 12:1 ratios, seems like 5 inches is very likely and four inches is probably the floor (unless all models are all off base). Several factors favor increased snowfall: better ratios, the higher QPF shown on the meso models, overperformance upstream, and the strengthening trend. To me, 4-8 makes more sense.

That said, OKX has been very good, so I'm sure they have their reasons.

I really just think this whole even is borderline warning criteria. Model consensus seems to be 0.4" QPF for most of OKX's area in CT. Even at 15:1 that's only 6". I don't see higher ratios in the coastal zones. Combined with a fast moving systems as already mentioned...confidence is probably low that 6" would be exceeded over a large enough area to warrant the warning.

I'm leaning towards 3-6" west of the valley, 5-8" east with a few 10" lollies possible.

i mean is it a stretch to think that with the storm shifting NW that ratio's are not as good in CT..

Also it seems box was on the edge weather they wanted a warning or a advisory....(calling 4-8) but since the heaviest is during morning commute i think they made the right decision. esp since essex county and 128 belt (n) of boston looks like they could see up to 10.

i mean is it a stretch to think that with the storm shifting NW that ratio's are not as good in CT..

Also it seems box was on the edge weather they wanted a warning or a advisory....(calling 4-8) but since the heaviest is during morning commute i think they made the right decision. esp since essex county and 128 belt (n) of boston looks like they could see up to 10.

I only mention lower ratios in OKX's zones because its kind of the norm...especially is weaker systems. LI Sound temps influencing the BL which keeps the best ratios a bit further inland. Usually that impact is only overcome in the strongest storms...i.e. last week's HECS. For light and moderate events...I think 15:1 ratios is about the best one should expect/forecast within 10-15 miles of the coast.

any forecast for Mount Snow? I don't understand enough about mountain interaction with weather yet to feel confident on a guess for that

I ski a lot at Mount Snow, and they always seem to do better than modeled in these SNE storms. I'm guessing they'll do as well as CT despite being further removed from the storm. Snow was great last Friday, but still was hitting roots and rocks in the glades. They got some denser snow (and then some ZR, unfortunately) on Tuesday, so hopefully they've got some more cover.

Snowmaking trails had full cover.

ill take this and run with it!

Tonight: Snow, mainly after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 18. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Friday: Snow, mainly before noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. North wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible

Yeah I'm not bothered by OKX sticking with advisory. I think the heaviest in CT will be in NE CT

Archived