Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Friday, January 21st Storm Discussion II

Baroclinic Zone

ill take this and run with it!

Tonight: Snow, mainly after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 18. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Friday: Snow, mainly before noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. North wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible

Looks windy after the storm passes, should get some blowing snow

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks dude.

Mine is 6-12 for all of SNE .excluidng and with a heavy heart..SE Mass where I'll go 3-5

Lolli's of 14-16 in the jackpot area that I outlined earlier

Well as I told you before...hope that works out for you. Personally I'm nervous my numbers might be too high...but ratios might be good enough.

BTW..nice to have you back posting again. You were missed by quite a few folks.

thanks.

3-5 inches for central CT seems oddly conservative from OKX. Even the Euro and GFS give more than .4 QPF and have been trending stronger with each run. Given 12:1 ratios, seems like 5 inches is very likely and four inches is probably the floor (unless all models are all off base). Several factors favor increased snowfall: better ratios, the higher QPF shown on the meso models, overperformance upstream, and the strengthening trend. To me, 4-8 makes more sense.

That said, OKX has been very good, so I'm sure they have their reasons.

I think for OKX's area 3-5 is reasonable. Personally I'd say 4-6" is more likely in S CT but we're really splitting hairs.

I ski a lot at Mount Snow, and they always seem to do better than modeled in these SNE storms. I'm guessing they'll do as well as CT despite being further removed from the storm. Snow was great last Friday, but still was hitting roots and rocks in the glades. They got some denser snow (and then some ZR, unfortunately) on Tuesday, so hopefully they've got some more cover.

Snowmaking trails had full cover.

I've been there twice in last week and conditions have been great.

Well as I told you before...hope that works out for you. Personally I'm nervous my numbers might be too high...but ratios might be good enough.

thanks.

Thanks for fixing the timestamp on your site, makes it a lot easier to figure out what/when you're posting.

---

GFS looks good, Jerry/Bob/Ray should do very well/Scooter too. I'm just hoping we see no increase in speed tonight in the southern s/w which could shove everything a little faster. This shift a little faster is bothersome at 18z in all models.

I think for OKX's area 3-5 is reasonable. Personally I'd say 4-6" is more likely in S CT but we're really splitting hairs.

Yeah. I'm rethinking that earlier post based on the 18z models. Everything was trending stronger, which made me lean toward the higher end of things. Now that most 18z models have pulled back a tick, thinking widespread 8" in most of CT is unlikely, but with this winter, who knows.

Have you been to Mount Snow since the ZR on Tuesday? The snow report the yesterday morning sounded grim, urging folks to stay off ungroomed trails. Groomed trails are not for me.

Home now....made it back in ahead of time in time for dinner.

Got a good look at snow cover from above today up the coast. Basically it abruptly goes from bare ground to snow cover once you cross Delaware Bay into NJ. Essentially 40N is the demarcation line.

6-10+ coming. More next week....classic intense cold...one of the epic winters of our lives.

Home now....made it back in ahead of time in time for dinner.

Got a good look at snow cover from above today up the coast. Basically it abruptly goes from bare ground to snow cover once you cross Delaware Bay into NJ. Essentially 40N is the demarcation line.

6-10+ coming. More next week....classic intense cold...one of the epic winters of our lives.

Absolutely perfect season in response to last winter.

I wish it would start at 5am instead of 1am, but anyway I like my call of 6-10".

Its not very often Bruchard gives me 7-10" while Harvey is less with 3-7". Pretty big difference, but I think the box map is a decent call. 7-8".

No CCB action until after daybreak. I'm not going to bother getting up early since the heavy heavy snow holds off until after 7.

Messyenger..what's your final call?

I'm thinking about it right now.

didn't mean to post that yet....will do it soon.

--

GFS/NAM punch a nice burst of WAA snows right over SE MA/RI around 4-7am quickly followed by a change/with a change on the GFS, to a lesser extent on the NAM. That burst rockets off the coast into the GOM by 10am Friday.

The GFS would imply the change occurs pretty much as the precip really gets going which could run ugly for snow totals in SEMA.

Face value the GFS isn't much snow at all in SE MA. The coastal front would push west just prior to the heavier precip arriving. Kind of ugly but it did trend colder.

Yeah. I'm rethinking that earlier post based on the 18z models. Everything was trending stronger, which made me lean toward the higher end of things. Now that most 18z models have pulled back a tick, thinking widespread 8" in most of CT is unlikely, but with this winter, who knows.

Have you been to Mount Snow since the ZR on Tuesday? The snow report the yesterday morning sounded grim, urging folks to stay off ungroomed trails. Groomed trails are not for me.

We'll know tonight if the 18z was a signal or just a blip. It is interesting that all models trimmed to the west while piling on up in downeast...slightly faster movement/slower development. One more equal movement tonight and there will be significant forecast shuffling IMO.

Archived