joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Low Temperature OBS And Discussion For NYC Metro

bluewave

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to note that this very deep snowpack has a significant impact on low temperatures. I am looking back at my senior research project, which was a method of estimating high temperatures from 850mb temps. The results with the snowpack are MUCH lower than what one might expect. If I get a chance one day, I want to definitely do some more research and factor situations like the current one in. Then again, how often would one expect to have 25-30" of snow on the ground in Danbury, CT? :P

Central Park got down to 18 but is stuck at 19. Our temps have been doing that lately. Last night dropped to 24 and got stuck there all night.

i remember growing up, it seemed we had more nights where there was dramatic radiational cooling.

on max RC night, it would be 18F cooler here than in the city... and within a couple of hours of sunrise we'd be dead even.

Thanks. Fortunately no was injured. Will almost certainly need to purchase a new car. Insurance allows me a rental for the time being.

Glad to hear you are ok . We can replace a car not ourselves. My daughter had a car totaled on her a couple of months ago and walked away with no injuries. I consider it a blessing. As for the cold, currently at 1.8. Coldest of the year so far.

Thanks. Fortunately no was injured. Will almost certainly need to purchase a new car. Insurance allows me a rental for the time being.

Sorry to hear this, but the most important thing is that you're OK. Hopefully insurance takes care of things and you can get back behind the wheel soon!

Sad, but true. It's been pretty rotten on this end too..especially the past few days.

But we shall persevere..with a little luck and good spirit good things will come.

Didn't know you were having such a tough time, but I'm sure things will get better soon! Enjoy college while you can, I can tell you that working in the real world and constantly looking for better jobs is a lot more of a hassle! I'm working as a substitute teacher and delivery boy right now, so I'm not exactly living a high-end lifestyle. With your met degree, you'll be in great shape though! Don't despair!

Low of 5 here, forecasted low was 11

Looks like many places in the Hudson Valley were below 0

Wow! The local Wunderground station here got down to 13.7F, and that's what I go by....I'm sure some hollows at 400' in the woods behind my house got into the single digits, however. Impressive cold, and it looks as if the Hudson River may be starting to freeze. One more arctic outbreak would probably do it. I haven't broken freezing in days, just an incredible winter with an 18" snowpack in the woods and such brutal, persistent cold. Really reminds me of the winters of the 1800s that you read about during the Little Ice Age.

Archived