Jan Low Temperature OBS And Discussion For NYC Metro

bluewave

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-0.3 in my backyard.

-5 at KPOU

Radiational cooling FTW!!!

I can't believe KPOU got down to -5F, that's some serious cold. 850s were only like -12C, very impressive radiational cooling with the deep snowpack and extremely dry air.

Where is the airport located? Is it signifcantly outside the city center? I spent one year doing some education coursework at Vassar College, and it never got nearly that cold..

The low here this morning was 18. Snowpack is 17".

The main reason for the temps staying up is that the wind off the sound did not die and cloud cover. Secondary reason is that my sensor is located about 13 feet off of the ground (rather than 6 feet). With the snowcover and given light winds, I'm pretty sure that would make a difference.

I suspect that some of the really low temperatures are from improperly shielded sensors and perhaps in need of some calibration. But no sour grapes...it was much warmer along the LI Sound shore than a couple of miles farther south. The Centerport coop only dropped to 17, although it surprised me that it was colder than here. I think they are closer / more exposed to the Sound. I'm at least a mile south of the Sound at 120+ feet elevation...and the ridge just to my north tops at 180+ feet. Elevation is also near sea level about a mile south of here (part of the Nissequogue River). There is a valley that drains away to the east beginning just about in my yard. It's one of the old glacial runoff channels that are part and parcel of the north shore hills.

All of this probably affects the conditions for best radation at my site. We do quite well sometimes, but did not radiate a lick last night.

I can't believe KPOU got down to -5F, that's some serious cold. 850s were only like -12C, very impressive radiational cooling with the deep snowpack and extremely dry air.

Where is the airport located? Is it signifcantly outside the city center? I spent one year doing some education coursework at Vassar College, and it never got nearly that cold..

It is outside the city in a low elevation "hole" surrounded by woods... It is not that far from Vassar (maybe 5 miles to the south) but definitely more rural... I am 3 miles south of KPOU in a rural location too, and have a little more elevation.. The area is notorious for ridiculous radiational cooling under ideal conditions... Last night was one of those situations...

Wow William,Glad to hear your OK.I had a rough night at work last night.A woman jumped onto the tracks and I nearly hit her with my train.Thank God I didntShe was trying to retrieve her cellphone which had fallen onto the tracks..Then on the return trip,a woman went into a diabetic coma in right behind the motormans cab.I dont know how she is.My probation ended this past Tuesday.It was 17 at my house last night but when I was walking to the subway at 11PM,there was a biting wind so I didnt expect the temps to bottom out.Amazingly we have yet to have any real Arctic air in the CONUS.It has been in Europe much of the winter.

may have already been posted, but wow, fell to -4F at DXR this morning. That, with 850s only around -9 or -10C. I shutter to think how cold it could get if we had a really cold arctic outblast (which may happen later this month), with 850s at -20C or lower and a deep snowpack...

I can attest how cold it was tonight. I was in an automobile accident, my car was demolished, and I waited outside in the cold for an hour before assistance arrived. Damn near had frostbite set in as I didn't have any gloves.

Hope you're not too sore today, sorry to hear this happened to you. Where were you?? You should not have had to wait outside for an hour!

Sort of splitting hairs but i found it a little odd that in Upton's discussion for Monday they say near normal temperatures, but then have my high forecast at 27, which is 10 or 11 degrees below normal.

COLD AIR ADVECTION KEEPS TEMPS BELOW NORMAL SUNDAY. THEN ANOTHER

POTENTIAL GOOD RADIATIONAL COOLING NIGHT IN STORE SUNDAY NIGHT AS

WINDS DIMINISH AND SKIES CLEAR. WILL LEAN TOWARD COOLER MAV

GUIDANCE ONCE AGAIN.

TEMPS REBOUND ON MONDAY...NEAR OR JUST BELOW NORMAL.

M.L.King Day: Partly sunny, with a high near 27

Again, not a big deal, its just a slow day

I can attest how cold it was tonight. I was in an automobile accident, my car was demolished, and I waited outside in the cold for an hour before assistance arrived. Damn near had frostbite set in as I didn't have any gloves.

Hey buddy, glad to see that you are ok, take it easy and relax!:thumbsup:

I think Sunday night/Monday morning will def be the coldest of the season, unless things change of course. But right now the high is forecast to be right on top of us, the gfs agrees with the NAM by the way. The skies will be clear, very light winds, a huge chunk of the area could see single digits or even negative readings in the coldest spots, especially with the snow cover to help.

Tonight is a different story. There are some clouds around and the DPs are nearly 10 degrees higher than at this time yesterday. It's still 25F, most of the area is in the mid 20s. I'm going to go with a low of 16-17F for my location tonight and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up higher.

Archived