joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Low Temperature OBS And Discussion For NYC Metro

bluewave

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton has a low of 14 for us again. Doubt that will happen. As of 11PM we are at 25 in Central Park. Wouldn't be surprised if the temp gets stuck around 21-22.

Central Park's forecast low is 16F, not 14F. I'm sure some of the suburban areas in Queens will get into the lower teens....

Central Park is at 24/11, they probably won't make it but we'll see....They'll almost definitely get below 20F though.

18.4/13 here in Westchester, clear skies.

Central Park's forecast low is 16F, not 14F. I'm sure some of the suburban areas in Queens will get into the lower teens....

Central Park is at 24/11, they probably won't make it but we'll see....They'll almost definitely get below 20F though.

18.4/13 here in Westchester, clear skies.

Upton has 14 for Central Park. As of 2AM it is 24F. Don't think it'll get below 20F, much like last night where it hovered around 19, close to my guess of 20.

Don't doubt areas in outer boroughs will be several degrees colder outside of LGA which is still at 28F....lol

Upton has 14 for Central Park. As of 2AM it is 24F. Don't think it'll get below 20F, much like last night where it hovered around 19, close to my guess of 20.

Don't doubt areas in outer boroughs will be several degrees colder outside of LGA which is still at 28F....lol

Yeah I just saw the forecast for 14F...that's clearly too cold.

They did get down to 18F, not 19F, last night. Might be a couple degrees colder tonight.

LGA is a joke....I'm sure some people in Queens will get into the lower teens...they radiate more like Westchester.

Yeah I just saw the forecast for 14F...that's clearly too cold.

They did get down to 18F, not 19F, last night. Might be a couple degrees colder tonight.

LGA is a joke....I'm sure some people in Queens will get into the lower teens...they radiate more like Westchester.

From about midnight on they warmed back up to 19 so officially 18 but no big deal either way. Forecast was for 14 or 16 last night as well. I find it pretty weird how on so many nights this year we just keep hitting a block and the temp just halts and stops dropping.

From about midnight on they warmed back up to 19 so officially 18 but no big deal either way. Forecast was for 14 or 16 last night as well. I find it pretty weird how on so many nights this year we just keep hitting a block and the temp just halts and stops dropping.

The reason they're not cooling down much is because they have west winds, which downslope NYC badly. Central Park had W/NW winds all last night, which is why the low was only 18F. NYC needs a 350/360 wind direction to get cold at night; that's the only way it's possible for them to get below 0F. We'll see if freezing the Hudson helps this year as we look to be well on our way.

Also, 850s are only around -12C or so tonight, that's not brutally cold. This is the type of night where rural locations drop to near 0F but it doesn't get that cold in the City. They'll start to drop some now because winds have slackened with the pressure gradient diminishing, but it'll be too late to get much colder than last night, even with the huge snowpack. It seems Central Park rarely drops more than 2F/hour or radiational cooling nights

People comparing Central Park's minimums today to past winters are performing a useless activity, in my opinion...the fact that the suburbs have been rapidly developed since the 1950s has created a much more expansive urban heat island that impedes any penetration of the cold into NYC regardless of wind direction. Open farms and forests in LI and Westchester were quickly transformed into developments and roadways beginning in the late 1940s, and that started to cut off the colder minimums. Also, building materials have changed dramatically since the early 1900s when most structures were wood or brick, which don't have the same heat island qualities as a city built of pure steel and concrete. That's why Central Park was able to get so cold in the 1930s.

Even now that they're reporting clear skies and calm winds, Central Park is still stuck at 24F. How is it possible not to see any cooling overnight with a huge snowpack, light winds, and fair conditions?

50 miles to the northeast, Danbury CT (KDXR) is at -4F. Poughkeepsie (KPOU), 80 miles to the north, is at -3F. Quite a contrast.

Low Temperatures Saturday Morning

January 15, 2011:

Danbury: -5

Westhampton: -5

Upton: +3.7

Shirley, L.I.: +5

Islip: +6

White Plains: +8

Farmingdale: +8

Bridgeport: +8

Newark: +18

JFK: +21

Central Park: +23

LaGuardia: +25

Danbury and Westhampton both bottomed out at -4 F the previous morning (1/14/11)

Thanks to all who voiced concern about the car accident I was involved in.

This is the first I heard about it :( Im really sorry William, feel free to PM me. I hope you're doing much better now and havent suffered from any residual effects (like whiplash.)

Wow William,Glad to hear your OK.I had a rough night at work last night.A woman jumped onto the tracks and I nearly hit her with my train.Thank God I didntShe was trying to retrieve her cellphone which had fallen onto the tracks..Then on the return trip,a woman went into a diabetic coma in right behind the motormans cab.I dont know how she is.My probation ended this past Tuesday.It was 17 at my house last night but when I was walking to the subway at 11PM,there was a biting wind so I didnt expect the temps to bottom out.Amazingly we have yet to have any real Arctic air in the CONUS.It has been in Europe much of the winter.

There was an 87 year old man who died from hypothermia the other night on long island. The snow does look wonderful, but we have to remember to dress appropriately (the news reports said he wasnt wearing appropriate clothing.)

The reason they're not cooling down much is because they have west winds, which downslope NYC badly. Central Park had W/NW winds all last night, which is why the low was only 18F. NYC needs a 350/360 wind direction to get cold at night; that's the only way it's possible for them to get below 0F. We'll see if freezing the Hudson helps this year as we look to be well on our way.

Also, 850s are only around -12C or so tonight, that's not brutally cold. This is the type of night where rural locations drop to near 0F but it doesn't get that cold in the City. They'll start to drop some now because winds have slackened with the pressure gradient diminishing, but it'll be too late to get much colder than last night, even with the huge snowpack. It seems Central Park rarely drops more than 2F/hour or radiational cooling nights

People comparing Central Park's minimums today to past winters are performing a useless activity, in my opinion...the fact that the suburbs have been rapidly developed since the 1950s has created a much more expansive urban heat island that impedes any penetration of the cold into NYC regardless of wind direction. Open farms and forests in LI and Westchester were quickly transformed into developments and roadways beginning in the late 1940s, and that started to cut off the colder minimums. Also, building materials have changed dramatically since the early 1900s when most structures were wood or brick, which don't have the same heat island qualities as a city built of pure steel and concrete. That's why Central Park was able to get so cold in the 1930s.

The cold in central park in the 30s was because it was an extreme cold outbreak. While urban expansion does increase the heat island effect, it has been a very very long time since Manhattan experienced radiational cooling. February 9, 1934 had absolutely nothing to do with radiational cooling. Sorry Nate, but you are wrong about this.

The cold in central park in the 30s was because it was an extreme cold outbreak. While urban expansion does increase the heat island effect, it has been a very very long time since Manhattan experienced radiational cooling. February 9, 1934 had absolutely nothing to do with radiational cooling. Sorry Nate, but you are wrong about this.

Either way, adding millions of people, cars, and tons of massive concrete buildings is not going to help NYC's case at night. Any airmass, no matter how cold, is going to be eased by the UHI in NYC....no way around that.

It takes a truly anomalous event to get the city below freezing these days.

Either way, adding millions of people, cars, and tons of massive concrete buildings is not going to help NYC's case at night. Any airmass, no matter how cold, is going to be eased by the UHI in NYC....no way around that.

It takes a truly anomalous event to get the city below freezing these days.

Actually when we see strong CAA in the area, the city's temps are fairly close to the suburbs. The UHI does play a role but what also plays a major role is the lack of a major arctic air mass aimed toward our region. Most of that arctic air has been on the other side of the globe. Probably 2004 was the last time we see a strong arctic air mass in the area.

UHI will play a major role in the upcoming cold morning on Monday, that's just pure radiational cooling at work and the city doesn't do well in those situations. I wouldn't be surprised to see the city get down to 18 while just a few miles away in the burbs, there are lower single digit readings, even zero degree readings.

Archived