• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 11-12 Storm Obs/Discussion

clskinsfan

Where in bethesda are you? I'm in SW near bannockburn & its 30 and a light coating of Ice. Have u checked for Ice accumulations?

Hah, funny, I live near there. Downtown Bethesda. Just dropped to 31.7, so I guess the rain will start to freeze soon - but the surfaces here are just plain wet for now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah, funny, I live near there. Downtown Bethesda. Just dropped to 31.7, so I guess the rain will start to freeze soon - but the surfaces here are just plain wet for now.

Josh I am in DC and we are getting freezing rain. Just walked my dog and my jacket had a layer of ice on it! I would be surprised if downtown bethesda didnt have freezing rain too.

@Bob Chill could that mean more snow?

Not really. Just means that the snow we do get is evolving quite differently that modeled. Coastal was supposed to crank and we were hoping to get our snow as the coastal takes over and deepens.

Instead, the 500 low to our W ended up dominating and the energy spinning around that is giving us the snow (and warm layer aloft resulting in freezing drizzle). This was not supposed to be how it happened.

Not really. Just means that the snow we do get is evolving quite differently that modeled. Coastal was supposed to crank and we were hoping to get our snow as the coastal takes over and deepens.

Instead, the 500 low to our W ended up dominating and the energy spinning around that is giving us the snow (and warm layer aloft resulting in freezing drizzle). This was not supposed to be how it happened.

Still kinda early for the coastal to crank, even for us.

i dunno -- i wasnt expecting anything here from wraparound that's for sure.

Agreed, but the coastal was supposed to be deeper and dominant by now. Not happening as modeled. Low to the west is holding strong and precip moving in from that one rather than filling in as the transfer takes place.

this part isnt all that far off from modeling imo. you could clearly see the interaction between the eastward moving 500 vorts and the coastal. the inland low might be more dominant than modeled yes.

FR in S/E Fairfax Co. and it's getting pretty slippery. A just car skidded into a rain ditch out in front of my house. Looks as though the colder atmospheric conditions are going to hold a snow band rapidly approaching from the West. Going to be interesting. However, as far as snow goes we were trapped in between and lost out again. This is the year just keeps on NOT giving and NOT giving.

Archived