• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

Hopefully your area and into downtown Charleston doesn't suffer a .50"+ freezing rain event. That would be even more catastrophic for that area than a .75+ here in CAE.

I live in West Ashley and the ice is accumulating rapidly on the tree limbs here. Doesn't look good for things warming up too quickly to prevent some power outages.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it played out about as I expected for the midlands of sc. I'm always happy when columbia gets snow because so many times they just miss it.

Sounds like a serious situation developing for you SF. Looks like you will at least double that. When was the last time charleston got a major icestorm?

Charleston City and airport, the last major icestorm was the President's Day Blizzard Feb 1979.

In that dry slot here. Got 4 1/2 - 3/4 on the ground. Which is about 4 shy of the updated totals form the morning crew.

Happy but curious to see the radar fill back in with help from the light through the region.

Have received 7.5" of new snow since about 1:30am last night. Total snow on the ground is roughly 9.5", approaching 10" as the snow continues to fall.

GSP just said that they are not lowering any of their snowfall totals just yet, as more moisture and lift (using 12Z NAM) approach the region again this afternoon from the southwest.

Enjoy!

Here is the 12 nam 12 hr total. Look nice!

nam_p12_012s.gif

28.0 here

Someone near Shelby what is your temp? My thermometers are hopefully messing up one says 32 and the other says 34. But the airport says 24.

i am not sure that we arent seeing one of the models from last night with that extra finger of higher precip come to fruition. the moisture down around and to the west of atl seems to be holding its on, and if you sort of look at the bigger pictures, it looks like another moderate batch of precip could move through the northern third or so of georgia

I just read the FFC's new AFD and it said snow was confined to north of I-20 only. The heaviest snow was right in the northern half of the metro area. This is why downtown Atlanta received around 8-9 inches. They never expected a 3-4 inch/hr snow band to form right around here. Very sharp cutoffs it seems.

I thought in the days leading up to the storm, ffc was doing really well. But right before it started, for some reason they changed course and lowered accumulations. Indeed, the tone of one of their discussions almost implied it was not going to be a big deal. It really made no sense because I studied the soundings closely and never saw what they claimed they were seeing.

At any rate, I have more than doubled their forecast totals here.

Gsp as usual did great..their initial call I think was 4 to 8 but they upped totals to 9 to 12 for their georgia counties last night.

Pretty much all light freezing rain/sleet here now. Already there is a icy crust on top of the snow.

I thought in the days leading up to the storm, ffc was doing really well. But right before it started, for some reason they changed course and lowered accumulations. Indeed, the tone of one of their discussions almost implied it was not going to be a big deal. It really made no sense because I studied the soundings closely and never saw what they claimed they were seeing.

At any rate, I have more than doubled their forecast totals here.

Gsp as usual did great..their initial call I think was 4 to 8 but they upped totals to 9 to 12 for their georgia counties last night.

Pretty much all light freezing rain/sleet here now. Already there is a icy crust on top of the snow.

Yeah I don't get why FFC didn't up totals at least by midnight, though I suppose it didn't make a difference as we'd be just as snowbound with 3". 26 with light sleet here...what an awesome storm.

The problem with radar now is that the cloud deck is so low, especially for us, most of what falls is below the tilt of the beam and it's not picked up. Still have sleet and freezing rain off and on.

+1. According to radar, I should have jack squat, and jack squat for the past three hours. I can assure you that's not the case. Snowman.gif

Have received 7.5" of new snow since about 1:30am last night. Total snow on the ground is roughly 9.5", approaching 10" as the snow continues to fall.

GSP just said that they are not lowering any of their snowfall totals just yet, as more moisture and lift (using 12Z NAM) approach the region again this afternoon from the southwest.

Enjoy!

Asheville continues to be the sweet spot.

Charleston City and airport, the last major icestorm was the President's Day Blizzard Feb 1979.

That's amazing. You know you have something special when it's been 32 years since the last one. The icestorm in southern alabama amazed me as well. I have no idea when they last experienced something like that but it wouldn't surprise me if it was even longer than charleston.

i am not sure that we arent seeing one of the models from last night with that extra finger of higher precip come to fruition. the moisture down around and to the west of atl seems to be holding its on, and if you sort of look at the bigger pictures, it looks like another moderate batch of precip could move through the northern third or so of georgia

For several days the models hinted at the possibility of a heavy band of snow out ahead of the main precip shield. Indeed, I figured it was likely...just didn't know where it was going to set up shop. But it was pretty close to what was progged.

You can see now on radar showers continue to develop along and within the damming regions. It might not look like much but it should be rather constant the rest of the day. Looks like the i-85 corridor will do the best.

Map showing hardest hit areas with sharp cut offs north and south of this line. Definitely a long wide line of 5-14+ inch totals it seems.

Honestly, that's pretty right other than a few isolated locations. Pretty coincidental how I-20 can really be used as a precipitation type line so much.

Yeah I don't get why FFC didn't up totals at least by midnight, though I suppose it didn't make a difference as we'd be just as snowbound with 3". 26 with light sleet here...what an awesome storm.

Yeah it doesn't really make a difference but it just doesn't look good to see them not keep on top of things. I hate to keep harping on ffc since we have absolutezero from ffc here but this type of stuff is why ffc has the reputation it does.

You never see that type of stuff from gsp. They always update if it's warranted and they stay on top of things. I hope isohume relays to his colleagues how much we all appreciate and admire the great job he and the rest of them do.

At any rate, unbelievable storm. Storm of a lifetime here to be honest. The huge impacts it has had over such a wide area, along with areas that don't normally even see winter weather or freezing rain, It will be talked about 20 years from now. Savor this moment because a storm like this is extraordinarily rare and you might not see anything like it again for decades.

Report to ILM NWS of 6 inches of snow in Surf City in Pender County.

Lumberton at 6 inches and on and off snow.

They're watching the sleet and FZR coming up from the south.

The ****ing beach has gotten more snow in one storm than I've seen all winter across several events. Amazing.

I remember you talking about the initial band days ago Lookout. You and Robert nailed this.

I just walked around town and up to hwy 41. Snowplows were going up 41 and had both right lanes pretty clear. All of the other roads are another story. One policeman tried to get his car out of the city hall lot and got stuck. He got out, got in his own 4wd truck and left. Some other idiots tried to go over the railroad tracks for 10 minutes. Lots of spinning tires. Someone with chains was getting around good. Up to 27 with zr/ip.

For several days the models hinted at the possibility of a heavy band of snow out ahead of the main precip shield. Indeed, I figured it was likely...just didn't know where it was going to set up shop. But it was pretty close to what was progged.

You can see now on radar showers continue to develop along and within the damming regions. It might not look like much but it should be rather constant the rest of the day. Looks like the i-85 corridor will do the best.

thats what its looking like to me - we may not be quite finished with the storm after all lol

Archived