joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models have been insistent that the precip hits a wall about 50 miles southwest of Raleigh. Very dry air in the lowest few thousand feet is hte main culprit. HOwever what if the models are a little too dry? Or underestimate the lift a bit? Or are just off by 50 miles? These things happen so it is certainly worth watching trends the next few hours. The latest RUC gives Raleigh 2 inches of snow by 00z. I still think we probably see little more than light flurries before 3pm, but we will see.

Well I'd certainly enjoy that. At the moment it looks like its still a steady progression to the north and west. I'm sure the sooner it starts falling the more we'll end up seeing.

From the other thread

radar filling in the to he SW of me in Livonia - I will get a good amount. However, I never would have guessed that due east of the ATL area would be the winner....

Well the models for a number of runs prior to yesterday suggested as much. It was only until the last few runs did they shift the heaviest stuff to the north..though the 0z runs last night were a little better. As usual though peachtree groups everyone in the same boat. To them I am in the same location as west atlanta. In the county next door, GSP is forecasting 9 to 12 inches for elbert county, peachtree has me getting one more inch and was calling for 2 to 4 i think with their last forecast before it started.

Right now heavy snow continues..I took a few hour nap but I recently had, literally like 15 minutes ago, the lowest visibility i have seen yet. There is a neighbors yard light I always use for reference, it's about 1/8th of a mile away and I can barely see it. I haven't gone out to measure recently but I probably have 7 or 8 inches, I'm not sure. It's such a dry powdery snow it been blown around a lot..there is actually quite a lot of drifting. (How cool is it to say that hehe).

Ruc keeps me all snow for the next 3 hour and if it keeps coming down like this, 10 inches seems a sure bet. My first 10 incher :thumbsup: (only took 30 years)

From the other thread

Well the models for a number of runs prior to yesterday suggested as much. It was only until the last few runs did they shift the heaviest stuff to the north..though the 0z runs last night were a little better. As usual though peachtree groups everyone in the same boat. To them I am in the same location as west atlanta. GSP is forecasting 9 to 12 inches for elbert county, peachtree has me getting one more inch and was calling for 2 to 4 i think with their last forecast before it started.

Right now heavy snow continues..I took a few hour nap but I recently had, literally like 15 minutes ago, the lowest visibility i have seen yet. There is a neighbors yard light I always use for reference, it's about 1/8th of a mile away and I can barely see it. I haven't gone out to measure recently but I probably have 7 or 8 inches, I'm not sure. It's such a dry powdery snow it been blown around a lot..there is actually quite a lot of drifting. (How cool is it to say that hehe).

Ruc keeps me all snow for the next 3 hour and if it keeps coming down like this, 10 inches seems a sure bet. My first 10 incher :thumbsup: (only took 30 years)

wow...congrats and good luck on the 10 inches!

Still setting snowless, IP-less MBY......

You can Smell it,,,, AND TASTE it, snow it's so-oh so- close......

but none is falling...

Looking at radar, Hopefully the trajectory from Columbia/Florence storms look about right to come across/close to KLIM.....

NO WARM nose/Nor Marine Layers to worry about...

WHY!? WHY!?

------> about to cliff dive....

A nice fluffy ONE, just ONE Measly Inch... please?!

LOL all you folks upstate & GA/SC, ENJOY, very well deserved INCHES OF SNOW.............. Even the "snow Triangle" has been busted...

Of all things, WE on the coast get "dry slotted"..... NOT FAIR!......

I'm taking My ball and going home... waaaaaa-whaaaaaa...

I mean WHERE is this LOW coming up from the south bringing us our sn/ip/freezing rain? i'll even take a nice glaze!

LOL...

Current Obs...

31.0 °F Overcast

Windchill:26 °F

Humidity:58%

Dew Point:18 °F

Wind:4.6 mph from the NNE

Wind Gust:6.8 mph

Pressure:30.38 in (Rising)

Work as usual down in Charlotte today. CLT TDWR shows nothing moderate to heavy as of 6:15am. Hope precip fills back in and we make forecasted totals. Not convinced that it will happen based on current trends.

A big CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that racked up great accumulations earlier this morning. Well deserved and a long time waiting for some.

From the other thread

Well the models for a number of runs prior to yesterday suggested as much. It was only until the last few runs did they shift the heaviest stuff to the north..though the 0z runs last night were a little better. As usual though peachtree groups everyone in the same boat. To them I am in the same location as west atlanta. In the county next door, GSP is forecasting 9 to 12 inches for elbert county, peachtree has me getting one more inch and was calling for 2 to 4 i think with their last forecast before it started.

i have been watcing with awe the snow flying around off the roof, across the road, etc. some pretty big flakes falling now, hoping to see another band of heavier snow lol

measurements now are starting to include amounts close to 8" :scooter:

Archived