• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

So I am home in Dacula, GA from Mobile, AL for Christmas break (left Mobile December 14th and go back on the 17th of Jan), needless to say I couldnt pick a better period right?...

But , wow its amazing out there! So beautiful! Still snowing a little bit right now. Started around 10:30-10:45 ish last night and boy did it ever come down. By midnight we had 4"~ and then it started to taper off and since then we have had on and off again snow. Very windy too, I dont think I have ever seen wind swept snow like this so it has been a real treat. Just wish I would have gotten to hear thunder while it snowed but I'm super happy with what I got!

Went out and measured a few spots and got an average of about 6.5" of snow. Measurements ranged from 5.5"-8"...of course thanks to the wind blown snow its hard to get an accurate measurement of just how much has fallen. Also, since its so windy outside we have drifts developing here too! Went out and measured a few for fun at 13" (where the snow had been blowing off the roof and onto the ground, still cool nonetheless). Very pleased!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy Snow report at the airport, NC SNOW and others out that way whats its like over there? snow here is maybe moderate at best.

Over an inch and still snowing about the same rate. If it can do this most of the day, we'd be golden. I ve got to get up to work in High Point here shortly. I hate to leave the house and head somewhere it may not even be snowing. Roads are solid white. I told Jburns we'd see snow by sunrise at the latest. Anyway I'll be sneaking on the computer checking the obbs today, so keep me posted. Wife and kids get the day off from school. Wish I was back in teaching on days like today.

just woke up after about 3 hours of sleep and ZR/IP falling at a good clip, mostly sleet and LIGHTNING. this was confirmed by the KCHS WFO when I just brought it up after filing a storm reporte.

SF, I'm quite a ways north up the coast, yoou see ANY hope for US **COASTIES** up north of your local?

(EDIT) TV met says it IS SNOWING Heavy above us, but not reaching the ground...

Over an inch and still snowing about the same rate. If it can do this most of the day, we'd be golden. I ve got to get up to work in High Point here shortly. I hate to leave the house and head somewhere it may not even be snowing. Roads are solid white. I told Jburns we'd see snow by sunrise at the latest. Anyway I'll be sneaking on the computer checking the obbs today, so keep me posted. Wife and kids get the day off from school. Wish I was back in teaching on days like today.

I plow a major business in High Point, hopefully they will get several inches

Thanks for posting that, saved me from digging. Thats -9 850's in central NC. These rates are killer right now if you can get under some echoes, 20dbz is all it takes and the atmosphere will squeeze it to death. Snow is dry like sugar outside.

I'm hoping we can get some snow to start falling here before the sun comes up, not sure it's going to happen. Currently 27 and dry as a bone.

Thanks for posting that, saved me from digging. Thats -9 850's in central NC. These rates are killer right now if you can get under some echoes, 20dbz is all it takes and the atmosphere will squeeze it to death. Snow is dry like sugar outside.

No problem man, here is the site with the RUC. The one on the 4th panel from left to right is always the newest : http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

Here is another site that will give you better looking images/estimated radar but updates on a tiny delay: http://www.twisterdata.com/

Winston Salem, Smith Reynolds Airport

Lat: 36.13 Lon: -80.22 Elev: 970

Last Update on Jan 10, 5:54 am EST

Overcast

27 °F

(-3 °C) Humidity: 45 % Wind Speed: Calm Barometer: 30.31" (1027.2 mb) Dewpoint: 8 °F (-13 °C) Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Nothing from the sky yet, which I wouldn't expect it to with that low of a dp.

Archived