joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Yeah I think it's safe to say that after 4 major snow events in less than a year, my screwzone is dead. It lived a very long life I'm sorry to say..sorry bastard should have been executed 10 years ago..would have saved me a lot of grief lol.

Btw..depending on the final amount, this gives me well over 30 inches here since last year. (That is counting the number of inches I know i lost to melting..actual accumulation around 30 inches) It's really been an amazing 2 winters.

btw, did anyone check out those civil service emergency messages out of alabama since last night? They have been closing virtually every road in places..but what's more amazing is it was mostly in south central to southern alabama due to the ice. That is unreal.

lol - 8.7" and counting! getting quite a few spots at 9" now :) its still coming down. the roads are, well, completely covered here. its so light that unlike christmas, this isnt sticking in the trees that much, other than the pines and bushes.

yes the emergencies were wild!

Some reports i was reading..

Old Fort [Mcdowell Co, NC] public reports SNOW of E6.0 INCH at 07:22 AM EST

Mountain Home [Henderson Co, NC] public reports SNOW of E7.0 INCH at 07:23 AM EST

Incredible! Still barely 1/2" here.. you can still see the bare ground in places. Mostly light small flakes coming down.. It feels like its been snowing for alot longer than it has, it started at 4am this morning.. its just been pretty light most of the time.

Posted this in the other thread....don't know if it should be in here or not.

'Radar over the Upstate has looked pretty paltry over the past hour or two. However, I think you are beginning to see the results of this next push of omega with Level 2 data showing an increase in the precip from Laurens/ Union west to the GA/SC line at I-85. Then, if you look at FFC's level 2, you have more headed up I-85. So, while I am fairly nervous about my snow totals in some areas, the radar looks a little better to me at the moment.'

Posted this in the other thread....don't know if it should be in here or not.

'Radar over the Upstate has looked pretty paltry over the past hour or two. However, I think you are beginning to see the results of this next push of omega with Level 2 data showing an increase in the precip from Laurens/ Union west to the GA/SC line at I-85. Then, if you look at FFC's level 2, you have more headed up I-85. So, while I am fairly nervous about my snow totals in some areas, the radar looks a little better to me at the moment.'

Here's my GSP GRLevel 3, I'm not seeing the same intensity that we saw here though.

http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_4.php

I just had a godd sleet shower. The east wind was blowing into the side of the house very loudly. Im about to go measure but I can tell its somewhere between 6 and 7. Fortunately I dont have to work today. Im dog tired and I dont think I could get out of my neighborhood if I had to. Last night I took one last peek out the window before bed. Right as I opened the blinds a bolt of lightning hit right up the road. It actually hurt my eyes. Ive heard thundersnow before but have never seen the lightning or encountered it so close.

Updated aviation from RAH...

<snip>

.AVIATION /12Z MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

AS OF 700 AM MONDAY...

BAND OF MODERATE SNOW HAS SPREAD HAS FAR NORTH AS

LEXINGTON...ASHEBORO...LILLINGTON AND SOUTH OF GOLDSBORO. THIS SNOW

HAS CAUSED CEILINGS TO LOWER INTO THE IFR RANGE WITH POCKETS OF

VISIBILITY IN THE IFR RANGE THOUGH MOST VISIBILITY IN THE SNOW WAS

IN THE MVFR RANGE. NOT EXPECTING MUCH NORTHWARD DRIFT THROUGH MID

MORNING THOUGH AS SURFACE RIDGE AXIS EXTENDING ACROSS THE NORTHERN

PIEDMONT WILL ACT TO BLOCK NORTHWARD DRIFT DUE TO PRESENCE OF DRY

AIR ASSOCIATED WITH THE RIDGE. DO EXPECT LIGHT SNOW AND ASSOCIATED

MVFR CEILINGS TO PROGRESS NORTH INTO THE TRIAD AND TRIANGLE AREAS

BETWEEN 9 AM-12 NOON.

Any word on whether any of that has translated east towards Clinton? Husband is on the way to work in Salemburg and hoping he can just turn around and head on back home :bike:

Looks like its headed east. They've probably got snow on the ground there. I know there were reports of light snow in Clinton earlier.

Archived