Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

Heads up another large bright banded area rapidly heading up that way

http://radblast-mi.w...ning=0&smooth=0

Holy Jesus!!!!!!!!, Storm Fury!!!! You should see what your sending up this way!!!!!!.....

OMG, I've not seen snow rates like this since Dec. 1989..

The small flakes have turned into 50cent pieces......

ALL SNOW Coming down@ insane rates!......

Conditions, roads are deteriorating RAPIDLY, people being advised to stay off now, over TV & Radio

*****ie: get off the streets NOW****....

Temp has settled alittle at 27.7F, currently..

Dew risen to 28F

Man check the Web Cam!--> Whiteout on Wrightsville beach! http://www.surfchex.com/index.php

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone told me last night on here that we wouldn't be close to 6 inch snowfall amounts here in the CAE area. NAM trends were a super ice storm and less than 2" of snow last night. Local mets have increased to 5-10" counties just North of us and 4-8" for us. Totals keep being increased. Tons of snow here and still pouring down! Heavy bands still coming out of Southwest GA so the GGEM/JMA/GFS verified for us!

Yeah, congrats. All the moisture is staying in SC it seems. Waiting on the SC moisture to break the seal into NC.

Snow started around 3:00 and within minutes everything was covered.

I'm guessing at 5 inches and it's still coming down. Radar looks healthy enough upstream too.

The simple fact that all the flakes that fell are still out there...is not wasted on me. I will be so spoiled now. Snow is much better when it falls on frozen ground.wub.gif

Temp is 25.

The bulk of the precip was not supposed to start til around lunchtime.

Look at this radar loop and you can see what is going on much better than on any one radar site. It the whole country mosaic. I usually have it open during events to get a bigger picture. BTW it does not auto update so if you want to keep it current you have hit refresh.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

12z nam showing another 0.25 to 0.50 for northeast ga/upstate.

There has been a wreck right in front of my house..the second one in a week. The first was a woman who lost control and broke a telephone pole a few days ago. She was fine but she was a foot away from being killed. Nearly broke her tail end off the car.

A truck sled off the road a little bit ago and there is a wrecker trying to get another one out.

Holy Jesus!!!!!!!!, Storm Fury!!!! You should see what your sending up this way!!!!!!.....

OMG, I've not seen snow rates like this since Dec. 1989..

The small flakes have turned into 50cent pieces......

ALL SNOW Coming down@ insane rates!......

Conditions, roads are deteriorating RAPIDLY, people being advised to stay off now, over TV & Radio

*****ie: get off the streets NOW****....

Temp has settled alittle at 27.7F, currently..

Dew risen to 28F

Man check the Web Cam!--> Whiteout on Wrightsville beach! http://www.surfchex.com/index.php

Happy for you!!! Cam looks really good. I am so close, but stuck in a hole right now. Looks like maybe some nice radar returns coming, but I'm afraid it will be sleet instead of snow. I shall see!

I've got a report of 10 on Burningtown as well. Downtown looks cool http://wpfj.com/webCams/ as does Sylva http://cam.thesylvah...iew/index.shtml

I bet there are some foot+ totals in highlands. Still light to moderate snow here with nothing on radar. New nam and ruc says we get more snow all day. Maybe we can top a foot? At least that is what i was shooting for. Starting to get spoiled here after two great winter, Awhole lot better than the rip off winters of the few years before this.

Just talked to my neighbor and this is what happened. A wrecker was pulling one of the local police cars up the road and had to stop in the curb because one of my other neighbors sled into the ditch trying to get out...they then got stuck. I just watched the wrecker slide about 15 feet off the road sideways into the ditch! :lmao: Wow.

Look at this radar loop and you can see what is going on much better than on any one radar site. It the whole country mosaic. I usually have it open during events to get a bigger picture. BTW it does not auto update so if you want to keep it current you have hit refresh.

http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php

I use this one to, it dioesnt lie. Had about 2 when I left the house, Im up here in HP and its alot less. Roads where snow covered out 64 and up 109.

There has been a wreck right in front of my house..the second one in a week. The first was a woman who lost control and broke a telephone pole a few days ago. She was fine but she was a foot away from being killed. Nearly broke her tail end off the car.

A truck sled off the road a little bit ago and there is a wrecker trying to get another one out.

wow, i dont plan on driving anywhere today!

does the nam show that much more precip from NOW til the end? i thougt it was winding down shortly LOL. i havent even checked a model for a couple of hours. took the dogs on a long snow walk. they loved it! my beagle had to jump, the snow is to deep for him to walk in . we are getting some pretty heavy snow again - not sure if its the last blast before the ice gets here, but the flakes are nickel to quarter size :snowman:

Yeah the models look good but the radar says not so fast. That snow coming down this morning was insane. Hope we can get some of those rates back for a few hours up this way. You really hit the Jackpot on this one. Reminds me of when i was growing up and N GA used to get nailed too along with western NC.

Give it TIME ;)

My friend, you and I are on a different planet right now even though we're in the same state. The radar trajectories are pointed your direction, not mine. I'm getting ready to enter the dead zone (which is impossible because dead zone implies I already had snow, which I haven't).

Not a fail for me, because we really were borderline anyway. But I would have figured we would at least see a flake. Not one to speak of......

wow, i dont plan on driving anywhere today!

does the nam show that much more precip from NOW til the end? i thougt it was winding down shortly LOL. i havent even checked a model for a couple of hours. took the dogs on a long snow walk. they loved it! my beagle had to jump, the snow is to deep for him to walk in . we are getting some pretty heavy snow again - not sure if its the last blast before the ice gets here, but the flakes are nickel to quarter size :snowman:

Yeah, probably won't be able to go anywhere for a couple of days to be honest. I have serious doubts we get above freezing tomorrow as the wedge will be slow to break and probably won't until the cold front moves through.

Yeah the models look good but the radar says not so fast. That snow coming down this morning was insane. Hope we can get some of those rates back for a few hours up this way. You really hit the Jackpot on this one. Reminds me of when i was growing up and N GA used to get nailed too along with western NC.

I think it's fairly accurate here. There should be continued isentropic lift/over running of the cold dome across northeast ga/upstate all day. These showers have been fairly heavy as well. I think the nam has done fairly well. It certainly NAILED the soundings/changeover and resisted moving much snow into nc.

There is now a mix of everything here. Temp 25.

They just upgraded Charleston County's WWA to a WSW!

with the thermal profiles, I think ice storm warning would be a safe bet now. I don't see much of a chance for much in the way of sleet or snow now with temperatures from 850mb down to 925mb above freezing but yes, WSW is still a good call from KCHS for Charleston County.

Archived