• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

My friend, you and I are on a different planet right now even though we're in the same state. The radar trajectories are pointed your direction, not mine. I'm getting ready to enter the dead zone (which is impossible because dead zone implies I already had snow, which I haven't).

Not a fail for me, because we really were borderline anyway. But I would have figured we would at least see a flake. Not one to speak of......

I think we'll still see some flakes later on. It's gonna be spotty, but we should see some flakes. Hard to say we were borderline when we're under a winter storm warning, but I know exactly what you mean. Hey, we haven't had any flakes yet, but we've got the dew point up to 10!!! devilsmiley.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z nam showing another 0.25 to 0.50 for northeast ga/upstate.

There has been a wreck right in front of my house..the second one in a week. The first was a woman who lost control and broke a telephone pole a few days ago. She was fine but she was a foot away from being killed. Nearly broke her tail end off the car.

A truck sled off the road a little bit ago and there is a wrecker trying to get another one out.

Hi Lookout....I was wondering do you really think we'll get the additional .25 to .50 seeing how the moisture that is streaming into NE GA is diminishing like hitting a brick wall? Am I missing something or can you explain how we're supposed to get it? Thank you in advance. :rolleyes:

Really no accumulations to speak of since the intial band hit pre-dawn. Very light snow here right now and 25. Must be some seriously dry air right at the N.C./SC border because it's just killing the precip as it moves this way. RUC runs starting to show precip shield breaking up over NE Ga/Upstate in the next few hours -- looks like I'll be lucky to get to warning criteria -- still stuck on 3 1/2 inches. (Wish I had a little of what the 12z NAM is smokin).

NWS RAH AFD UPDATE:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --AS OF 910 AM MONDAY...

SNOW CONTINUES TO ACCUMULATE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES OF CENTRAL

NC... PARTICULARLY ALONG THE SOUTHERNMOST TIER WHICH HAVE ALREADY

RECEIVED 3-6" THIS MORNING. THIS SNOW BAND APPEARS FOCUSED ALONG A

WEAK 850 MB WARM FRONT SITUATED NEAR THE NC/SC STATE LINE. HAVE

UPDATED TOTALS TO INCREASE THEM TO 4-7" HERE WITH A SHARP CUTOFF

JUST TO THE NORTH OF THIS AREA... WHERE LOW LEVEL DRY AIR HAS ALLOW

MOST PRECIP TO SUBLIMATE BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND. TOTALS IN THE

SOUTH MAY BE INCREASED FURTHER ONCE WE FULLY EVALUATE NEAR TERM

MODEL GUIDANCE AND TRENDS. CONTINUE WINTER STORM WARNINGS/

ADVISORIES. -GIH

I think we'll still see some flakes later on. It's gonna be spotty, but we should see some flakes. Hard to say we were borderline when we're under a winter storm warning, but I know exactly what you mean. Hey, we haven't had any flakes yet, but we've got the dew point up to 10!!! devilsmiley.gif

12z NAM cranks out .53 for GSO between now and 7pm tomorrow. Most of it comes later this afternoon and tonight. Looks like almost all snow. Radar looks anemic now, but I haven't lost hope.

TW

Up to 9.5 here now, with what didn't sublimate away of the last storm, I'm sitting on close to 15"

AWESOME!! This will be one winter to remember. Has lokelyokel posting any totals for his place yet? (I'm still working my way reading the previous thread trying to catch up on what I missed when I crashed for a few hours)

Hmmmmmmmm....The difference a few miles make.... I've got a white ground here ( < 1 ") ; had light snow earlier, now have nice-sized flurries...

Yeah, probably won't be able to go anywhere for a couple of days to be honest. I have serious doubts we get above freezing tomorrow as the wedge will be slow to break and probably won't until the cold front moves through.

I think it's fairly accurate here. There should be continued isentropic lift/over running of the cold dome across northeast ga/upstate all day. These showers have been fairly heavy as well. I think the nam has done fairly well. It certainly NAILED the soundings/changeover and resisted moving much snow into nc.

There is now a mix of everything here. Temp 25.

I've quit looking at the radar. It keeps snowing. Big flakes for the last 1/2 hour.

Happy for you!!! Cam looks really good. I am so close, but stuck in a hole right now. Looks like maybe some nice radar returns coming, but I'm afraid it will be sleet instead of snow. I shall see!

I see the lil dry slot too, and I, will see it soon...

Hopefully, it's MORE SN behind it.....

It's even Larger/Juicy-er, Maybe even TSn?!

Your in between STorm Fury and I and another member in N. Myrtle beach.

Wish he'd come-on line a report in.

9:18AM or so, snow is coming down EZ 15/1 ratio.... smaller flakes, mixed in...

To whomever said

*FAIL** for this Storm, your going to get Skull F**ded by Me personally.. LOL!

SNOW , Mountains to the coast in ONE SHOT....

thats NO FAIL....

Not in my book...

Peace!

CT

current OBS

SNOW IN wILMINGTON, nc DERN IT!

27.8 °F Heavy Snow[/b

] Freezing Fog

Windchill:20 °F

Humidity:100%

Dew Point:28 °F

Wind:7.8 mph from the NNE

Wind Gust:7.8 mph

Pressure:30.40 in (Falling)

AWESOME!! This will be one winter to remember. Has lokelyokel posting any totals for his place yet? (I'm still working my way reading the previous thread trying to catch up on what I missed when I crashed for a few hours)

I've not heard from lokel in a while. Maybe He'll chime in shortly.

Archived