• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 9-10 Winter Storm Obs Thread II

Isopycnic

I'm in Gaston......about 25 miles sw of CAE(airport) as the crow flies.

Are you sure it's sleet mixing in and not snow grains? Do you see them really not bouncing like sleet and not breaking up? If so, that wouldn't be sleet. We have a tiny bit of that in here but sleet should NOT be mixing in even in Gaston yet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time I can remember enjoying waking up after 4 hrs of sleep on a Monday :lol:

It's pouring sleet/snow :weight_lift: I can just make out the treeline across the street...:wub:

precip has slowed down quite a bit but wouldn't be surprised to see more lightning like I did earlier lol. just can't get precip to set up in a band to get the temperatures top-down cooler to support more frozen than freezing at the moment. down to 30 now at Summerville Airport.

Are you sure it's sleet mixing in and not snow grains? Do you see them really not bouncing like sleet and not breaking up? If so, that wouldn't be sleet. We have a tiny bit of that in here but sleet should NOT be mixing in even in Gaston yet.

I had snow grains earlier this morning about 4 hours ago or so. picked up a few off the hood of my car and hadn't seen that in a long time.

I'm positive it's sleet :lol: The soundings don't show it, but at times it's mixing in pretty good here. The pinging on the windows gets quite loud..lol

i have been watcing with awe the snow flying around off the roof, across the road, etc. some pretty big flakes falling now, hoping to see another band of heavier snow lol

measurements now are starting to include amounts close to 8" :scooter:

Yeah it's been an amazing sight. The wind is blowing the snow off the roof and it's running off like water. Wind is howling now, like you said, well into the 20s. In fact I have had a top gust of 33mph. It's brutal out there...dare I say almost blizzard like lol

I manned up and walked around and measured and it was more than I thought. On average there is 10 inches with some 12 inch amounts scattered about. Very hard to get a gauge on the exact amount due to the drifting. I guess I could Have a little bit of a break but more heavy showery elements on the way. Channel 2 is reporting 10 in athens so that sounds about right.

Here is the total from jgx...it's very hard also to get a legit total here via radar because I happen to be almost exactly the same long distance from each radar. Plus it's hard anyway to get an idea just using radar estimates because they never show much very far away from the radar. But you can get an idea from the 1 inch liquid you see to the west and south of me. Indeed there is even a 1.5 mark showing up. A lot of that fell with the initial band where there was 35 to 40dbz for a while. I did in fact get into some of those 40 dbzs for a time. To my knowledge that was ALL snow there. It was not sleet contaminated as soundings were solidly in the snow category unlike toward the west where there was a very shallow mid level warm pocket near atlanta at first (and thus some started as sleet)

JGX_0.png

I'm positive it's sleet :lol: The soundings don't show it, but at times it's mixing in pretty good here. The pinging on the windows gets quite loud..lol

Amazing what just a few miles difference makes. Lake Murray once again.. seems to be weakening the bands as they approach. Weird how it does this with snow & severe weather around here.

About 2 miles Northeast of Downtown Dacula. Right along the Gwinnett/Barrow county line. Along GA 324.

Use to live off Fence Road, know exactly where you are over there, I'm now over on the Harbins side of 316. We still have light to moderate snow at times, starting to hear a little sleet mixing in. I'm waiting for the snow to melt from my CoCoRaHS gauge to see what the liquid amount was. My official report is going to be 7.5" at 6:45 am.

Public Information StatementLatest Versions [Current][-1][-2][-3][-4]

NOUS42 KCAE 101143

PNSCAE

GAZ040-063>065-077-SCZ015-016-018-020>022-025>031-035>038-041-102343-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

643 AM EST MON JAN 10 2011

***********************SNOW ON GROUND***********************

LOCATION SNOW TIME/DATE COMMENTS

ON GROUND OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

...RICHLAND COUNTY...

BALLENTINE 2.0 535 AM 1/10 THUNDER HEARD

Radar still filling in back to AL- it should snow here in far NE GA right through at least 15Z....

really? i thought the radar looked like it was sort of breaking up into light precip in n ga

Yeah it's been an amazing sight. The wind is blowing the snow off the roof and it's running off like water. Wind is howling now, like you said, well into the 20s. In fact I have had a top gust of 33mph. It's brutal out there...dare I say almost blizzard like lol

I manned up and walked around and measured and it was more than I thought. On average there is 10 inches with some 12 inch amounts scattered about. Very hard to get a gauge on the exact amount due to the drifting. I guess I could Have a little bit of a break but more heavy showery elements on the way. Channel 2 is reporting 10 in athens so that sounds about right.

Here is the total from jgx...it's very hard also to get a legit total here via radar because I happen to be almost exactly the same long distance from each radar. Plus it's hard anyway to get an idea just using radar estimates because they never show much very far away from the radar. But you can get an idea from the 1 inch liquid you see to the west and south of me. Indeed there is even a 1.5 mark showing up. A lot of that fell with the initial band where there was 35 to 40dbz for a while. I did in fact get into some of those 40 dbzs for a time. To my knowledge that was ALL snow there. It was not sleet contaminated as soundings were solidly in the snow category unlike toward the west where there was a very shallow mid level warm pocket near atlanta at first (and thus some started as sleet)

awesome! 10" amounts are showing up near athens, its looking like a jackpot so far! your screw zone is gone :snowman:

really? i thought the radar looked like it was sort of breaking up into light precip in n ga

awesome! 10" amounts are showing up near athens, its looking like a jackpot so far! your screw zone is gone :snowman:

:lol: Yeah I think it's safe to say that after 4 major snow events in less than a year, my screwzone is dead. It lived a very long life I'm sorry to say..sorry bastard should have been executed 10 years ago..would have saved me a lot of grief lol.

Btw..depending on the final amount, this gives me well over 30 inches here since last year. (That is counting the number of inches I know i lost to melting..actual accumulation around 30 inches) It's really been an amazing 2 winters.

btw, did anyone check out those civil service emergency messages out of alabama since last night? They have been closing virtually every road in places..but what's more amazing is it was mostly in south central to southern alabama due to the ice. That is unreal.

I think a lot of what's falling now is starting to get hard to pick up on the radar. You can see from my GRLevel3 loop, there is still plenty as far back as the Alabama line, and probably further. Based on the echo intensity, it's probably sleet.

http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/ffc_284.php

Here is one from south central/southern alabama I was talking about. Not something you see everyday..or year...or decade.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE

PERRY COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

430 PM CST SUN JAN 9 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE PERRY

COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY.

ALL ROADS IN PERRY COUNTY WILL BE CLOSED FOR ALL BUT EMERGENCY

TRAFFIC FROM 6 PM SUNDAY...THROUGH 6 PM MONDAY...OR UNTIL

CONDITIONS IMPROVE.

ALL COUNTY OFFICES AND AGENCIES WILL ALSO BE CLOSED ON MONDAY.

LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR LOCAL MEDIA FOR UPDATES ON

THIS SITUATION.

:lol: Yeah I think it's safe to say that after 4 major snow events in less than a year, my screwzone is dead. It lived a very long life I'm sorry to say..sorry bastard should have been executed 10 years ago..would have saved me a lot of grief lol.

Btw..depending on the final amount, this gives me well over 30 inches here since last year. (That is counting the number of inches I know i lost to melting..actual accumulation around 30 inches) It's really been an amazing 2 winters.

btw, did anyone check out those civil service emergency messages out of alabama since last night? They have been closing virtually every road in places..but what's more amazing is it was mostly in south central to southern alabama due to the ice. That is unreal.

I think that you should bring back the HULK for this special occasion!!

Archived