EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fwiw...bombs away at 72 hours with a nice CCB over most of MA.

I don't believe this run is correct -

At 66 hours it has it's sfc low at a lower latitude than the right entrance region of the jet max and that doesn't make a lot of sense. I could happen if the llv gradient is displaced S of the mid level mechanics, but how could that be the case when just 6 hours ago it different.

more of the same, next.

It's actually quite a bit different. Take a look at the animation I posted. It just did the same thing this run. Instead of wrapping the vorticity up around the approaching 500mb low, it gets out east. It happened 3 times in the last 3 days.

There's less downstream ridging and I agree there's some differences from 12z, but my point is I don't think it was drastic enough for such a strong shift SE of the sfc placement. It's a lot slower in deepening the mid-level lows, but once it gets going it really cranks over E MA with the CCB.

Note just south of us near NJ...scary how "similar" this is to the other days...luckily this is all starting further north.

The nose of the feature coming around the m/l low is flatter and more energy is escaping out. There's less N and more easterly movement.

Not saying it's right, just saying we just went through this 2-3 different times in a few days with the NAM/RGEM. The first panel is the old forecast, second the new forecast.

the lead wave along the gulf coast today is screwing it all up for those further up the coast. when we were getting some decent runs up the coast into maine, that wave was dampening out and heights were able to rise quicker up the coast out ahead of the upper low....now with WSW flying all over the south, the opposite has happened....

That elongated H5 closed low just under SNE running from NJ out to along or just under S Coast is pretty nice. OT but out in the woods earlier and thinking it actually snowed more than I thought. Sure enough, BOS checks in with 1.6

News stations this am reported Logan checked in with 3.5"...i was surprised, but 1.6 seems more reasonable

NAM is 6-12 hours slower than the rest of the guidance from 12Z. Tough to buy. Has it snowing hard all daylight hours Wed into Wed night.

Yeah and the problem with the NAM (it could be correct) is that it waits to close a 700mb low until basically south of BID. That's pretty late... good for BOS and inside 495 but problematic for NYC/CT/W & C Mass

News stations this am reported Logan checked in with 3.5"...i was surprised, but 1.6 seems more reasonable

Maybe 1.9 from Friday night? Seems impossible but who knows? edit: 3.6 may be right. 1.9 yesterday, 0.3 Friday, and maybe a quick inch from the burst in the wee hours after midnight?

Adjust qpf farther NW like you posted after 12z and we'd be perfect

Well I don't really like the 18z NAM all that much... 12z was much nicer :) lol

It is something we'll have to watch... how quickly and close to the coast this thing goes to town in mid levels. If it's too late (like the NAM shows) it's a run of the mill 6-10" kind of deal. This solution even has Ray missing out on the good stuff... only like 7" for him.

Yeah and the problem with the NAM (it could be correct) is that it waits to close a 700mb low until basically south of BID. That's pretty late... good for BOS and inside 495 but problematic for NYC/CT/W & C Mass

I'm kind of confident now the 12z NAM may be just another fluke run but will wait until tonight. It's not moving the overall position of the general mid level low, it's just doing the phase shift as OSU continues to accurately mention. So a solution closer to the other guidance in consensus should make the most sense. The cutoff is going to be sharp again. The big bonus here is although the evolution may roll in a similar fashion we've got a lot of moisture coming up with the parent low first...thank g*d.

This is amazingly similar to what we just went through with last nights.

I'm kind of confident now the 12z NAM may be just another fluke run but will wait until tonight. It's not moving the overall position of the general mid level low, it's just doing the phase shift as OSU continues to accurately mention. So a solution closer to the other guidance in consensus should make the most sense. The cutoff is going to be sharp again. The big bonus here is although the evolution may roll in a similar fashion we've got a lot of moisture coming up with the parent low first...thank g*d.

Yeah it's going to be a juicy storm but the 18z NAM seems awfully far south with where it reorganizes the mid level center based on the 500mb vorticity pattern.

post-40-0-29866100-1294606204.gif

Well I don't really like the 18z NAM all that much... 12z was much nicer :) lol

It is something we'll have to watch... how quickly and close to the coast this thing goes to town in mid levels. If it's too late (like the NAM shows) it's a run of the mill 6-10" kind of deal. This solution even has Ray missing out on the good stuff... only like 7" for him.

Stick with Euro verbatim. NAM usually ebbs and flows until we get a bit closer

Archived