e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF is JB talking about?? Anyone else agree?

HERE COMES THE THAW, AND ITS MAD IT DIDNT HOLD SOONER.

Heh snow geese and lovers of winters worst.. enjoy the next 7-11 days because after the worse, comes one heck of reverse. The ups and downs of this month are really peverse, but I will hold my tongue and not curse.

JB looks like Jack Jeebs from "Men In Black" - scene in the pawn shop where the characters head gets blowed off, only to come back like an inflating balloon - to which he IS ironically enough, a bloated balloon. The guy trumpeted an early end to winter back when, and he is seedy in trying to surface these spins every now and than which are a clear attempts to set up a credit grab should a warm up actually succeed to take place - none of which really appears to be the case (not sure what he is looking at in this case, but I suspect it is more of a strategic positioning in an on-going manipulation of his users). On a purely meteorological level, none of his original insights as to WHY it would warm up bore any semblance of intrinsic deeper understanding, and was far in a way more like open speculation tinted by fancy speak to anyone with a shred of analytical ability.

But anyway, the individual irritates me because his meteorological reasoning is wrong, or ...his attempts to water it down for the lowest common denominator is so bad that it makes him look wrong - but the irony there is, no one using his product is educated enough (in most cases) to question his veracity. So he's in a kind of Hollywood la-la land that feeds back on his own popularity. Some people have it all and that is just the way it is. I don't really care so much for that, it's not my concern, but I tell you what: I actually care a little that people understand this stuff, but when they weather the storm of his blogs and excerpts they come out miss-guided and in miss-conception.

For one thing, duh - of course it is going to warm up at some point. Why? well on a fundamental statistical level, there are almost no winters in the past 100 years that were cold from start to finish. The lore of the "January Thaw" (whether it occurs IN January or not aside) has a root etymology in statistical fact. IN FACT, you could argue that the warm up that took place prior to the KU system two clicks ago was that warm up - he tried to spin that as his prediction too. BS.

The reason these inter-seasonal warm ups take place is because the average synoptic quasi permanent pattern has about a 45-60 days residence before there is a change. If you are in a colder than normal pattern, you are likely to go the other way by pure circumstance of absolute 0 only being a theoretically non-reachable state for crying out loud! Geez. Yet, this person is lucky enough to be in a station/position to claim that his own prescient mind of Meteorological glory in seeing a warm up. No. Sorry.

It was very quick moving...about an 8 hour storm wire to wire...most fell in 3 hours. This one would likely not be as fast...but we're unlikely to see something as intense as that one.

I agree with that. That 3-hr period was special and I will probably remember that one for the rest of my life. Plus, I've got camcorder coverage to spark my memory in the future.

According to Will, Scott, and others, the H5 configuration is much better this time for WIDESPREAD heavies.

I'm on board for widespread moderate. A good portion of the region will see 6+" for sure. But Kev specified 12+ which I think will be more limited in coverage

I'm on board for widespread moderate. A good portion of the region will see 6+" for sure. But Kev specified 12+ which I think will be more limited in coverage

I think the implication is this CAN be rather strong....so 12+ widespread is always tough but this is the type of system it can happen in.

Archived