Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word of caution - do not discount the NAM in this type of scenario:

It's high resolution and superior convective schemes (it is a tremendous tool in the summer for initiation btw, a hidden skill set...OT) suffice a system of this type that will be highly responsive to subtle smaller scale thermal field details - this is in particular why it scored so hugely for the Dec 9 2005 event. I've read some posts about outlier this and that and I think that is a mistake.

It's high resolution and superior convective schemes (it is a tremendous tool in the summer for initiation btw, a hidden skill set...OT) suffice a system of this type that will be highly responsive to subtle smaller scale thermal field details - this is in particular why it scored so hugely for the Dec 9 2005 event. I've read some posts about outlier this and that and I think that is a mistake.

Yes. But is it not somwhat (being kind to it) out of its skill range at 72 hours?

I think I might be playing the role of Ray that you performed so eloquently last night. lol

Being just out of the best stuff 3 days out probably isn't a horrible thing. All we'd need is a slight shift NW for a foot, probably...so much too early to be pessimistic.

You don't have to tell me twice! Commencing clutching. At what point will you feel good about it happening if it is still coming through like that? 60 hours? 48?

I don't think a 25 mile shift NW in 3 days is too much to ask for.

We are going to need more then 25 mile shift, We need this to hug the coast all the way up until it reaches SNE, Then if it decides to take its ENE track will need it to go over just east of BOS if we have any chance of seeing decent qpf, This ENE turn once it reaches the BM is very troubling but i have seen this all before many times over the years with these Miller A/Hybrid or whatever you want to call it, Will wait to see over the next day or so if this gets tugged back NW on future runs........

Yes. But is it not somwhat (being kind to it) out of its skill range at 72 hours?

yes that is true ... but in these unique mesoscale-feedback scenarios, we want to start looking as early as possible. The blend of the globals together argue for a relay into the NAM's wheelhouse skill set.

We are going to need more then 25 mile shift, We need this to hug the coast all the way up until it reaches SNE, Then if it decides to take its ENE track will need it to go over just east of BOS if we have any chance of seeing decent qpf, This ENE turn once it reaches the BM is very troubling but i have seen this all before many times over the years with these Miller A/Hybrid or whatever you want to call it, Will wait to see over the next day or so if this gets tugged back NW on future runs........

Yeah, you guys need more than a 25 mile shift, but I think that'd be enough for me. Still lots of time for adjustments.

Inside of 48 and if it's alone...not so much. NAM overdid the weekend event as well.

It overdoes everything, but if it plays out like Tip outlined then it could happen. And we'll see if the rest swing around a bit. Not a big concern - give me 6, 10, 12, 16, whatever. Interesting though.

You don't have to tell me twice! Commencing clutching. At what point will you feel good about it happening if it is still coming through like that? 60 hours? 48?

I am well above 50/50 on a NJ Model type event at this point. The details on the other hand probably need to be inside of 48 hours for the NAM, but... I think what is key here is what I just mentioned to Jerry - the synoptics of the global models at 72-84 hours is a set of circumstances the NAM will be uniquely qualified to handle.

Archived