Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

Stick with Euro verbatim. NAM usually ebbs and flows until we get a bit closer

NAM is terrible at this range...toss it. 12z NAM gave me 2 feet of snow while I barely get 6" on the 18z NAM...very inconsistent with its modeling of the closing H7 low and associated banding. I'd feel much more comfortable relying on the ECM and to some extent, the GFS.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15z SREF mean is a tick NW from 9z. Looks like an MVY-PVC track before scooting east.

12z EC ens mean is just inside the BM...hard to bet against anything inside of ACK at this point, but we'll see.

Has anyone seen the 12Z Euro ensemble mean for this system? Reports will be appreciated and sorry for not finding it if posted.

I havent been on a lot today, but I will say that I am currently favoring something NW of the global model consensus but SE of the SREF. This is the exact type setup where the global models may be too far SE. When you look at the upper air and pva, it would certainly argue for a track relatively tucked in close.

I havent been on a lot today, but I will say that I am currently favoring something NW of the global model consensus but SE of the SREF. This is the exact type setup where the global models may be too far SE. When you look at the upper air and pva, it would certainly argue for a track relatively tucked in close.

Do you think the storm is going to close off in time for a 12" snowfall in NYC metro/SW CT, or will this be more of a New England Miller B as the CCB develops later? Could QPF be undermodeled with the Gulf/STJ connection? It seems as if the ECM is pretty aggressive on QPF, which might be a warning sign as it's typically dry in this range.

Unfortunately I will be just missing this snowstorm. I should be out of Logan Airport in the early afternoon hours on Tuesday. I just hope I don't get delayed at the airport, that is something I don't need. Man, I would love to stay a few extra days at home and witness this potential storm, but something tells me the storm will arrive just too late for me. Good luck with the storm everyone. Cape Cod, MA gets 3'+ of snow from this storm, just because I am leaving. LOL

Wouldn't happen like that.....gimme that soloution and I'll take my chances.

NAM sort of reminds me of 2/10/10 which most of us don't want to repeat... it's just damn south and east with the mid level lows so SE Mass get hit nicely but the rest of us miss out on the big stuff.

Wouldn't happen like that.....gimme that soloution and I'll take my chances.

Adjust it 50 miles NW and you have the probably solution. I'm feeling this one....big snows on the way. My only concern is taint and I think even if I see it, plenty of snow comes in prior, during, and probably after.

NAM sort of reminds me of 2/10/10 which most of us don't want to repeat... it's just damn south and east with the mid level lows so SE Mass get hit nicely but the rest of us miss out on the big stuff.

I never even entertained the notion of a good snowfall imby for that event.....not worried about that this time.

I like Wills analysis

Yeah I agree with him too. This kind of setup makes me think tucked inside the BM. That could change if the 500mb low tracks too far south and we close everything off too late and too far south. I think that's possible but not as likely right now.

Could you expound on that Will? I know I read ion ALB's AFD yesterday that the approaching OV trough ould help to 'capture' or pull the system West. Is this what you are seeing?

Exactly, between ACK and Messenger, like I have been saying all week.

The issue revolves around when the H7 low will close off.

Archived