EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's going to be a juicy storm but the 18z NAM seems awfully far south with where it reorganizes the mid level center based on the 500mb vorticity pattern.

Honestly I think given what it did at 18z (not saying it's right) it make sense. It's the damned vorticity bowling ball that rockets out...and everything jumps with it again just like last night. The 12z GFS and 18z NAM are very similar at 500mb. This was just the NAM adjusting towards the others again. This is what I think, it's not a forecast. If you look through the last several days at different times each one of the "hit" models went through a period where they had the vorticity climbing the front edge of the low and each time that was wrong. To some extent all global models got it wrong too on this last one. The end result was we had the vorticity ejecting ENE/NE ahead of the m/l,and that's what the NAM just changed to this run.

If the GFS or other guidance starts to roll that way today/tonight we're back in the same hamster wheel. What we have going for us this time is an apparent further north position to start and more moisture.

The NAM has not had a stable run though. I think these fine tuned meso models like the NAM fall victim to noise much more easily. Meanwhile, the Euro is very high resolution but doesn't seem to have nearly as much issues with this.

IMO Euro just had this same issue with the last system to some degree. Not sure why it is but models are struggling with vorticity maxes on the SE side of m/l lows.

Exactly, between ACK and Messenger, like I have been saying all week.

The issue revolves around when the H7 low will close off.

If the SFC low tracks like that you have to think the 700mb low closed off really early and is tucked awfully far NW... like over SE Mass.

Honestly I think given what it did at 18z (not saying it's right) it make sense. It's the damned vorticity bowling ball that rockets out...and everything jumps with it again just like last night. The 12z GFS and 18z NAM are very similar at 500mb. This was just the NAM adjusting towards the others again. This is what I think, it's not a forecast. If you look through the last several days at different times each one of the "hit" models went through a period where they had the vorticity climbing the front edge of the low and each time that was wrong. To some extent all global models got it wrong too on this last one. The end result was we had the vorticity ejecting ENE/NE ahead of the m/l,and that's what the NAM just changed to this run.

If the GFS or other guidance starts to roll that way today/tonight we're back in the same hamster wheel. What we have going for us this time is an apparent further north position to start and more moisture.

IMO Euro just had this same issue with the last system to some degree. Not sure why it is but models are struggling with vorticity maxes on the SE side of m/l lows.

I don't think you can use the last system with a gazillion vorts as the benchmark for model performance for this one. That's my opinion and it may differ from yours but this is totally different.

Could you expound on that Will? I know I read ion ALB's AFD yesterday that the approaching OV trough ould help to 'capture' or pull the system West. Is this what you are seeing?

You have an intense area of vorticity on the models ripping northeast from the OH valley...it tucks itself up right underneath the S coast of SNE but some of the models are trying to squirt the surface low much further east. The 18z NAM actually sort of had the PVA (positive vorticity advection) stop to halt and go east...I find that unlikely and possible convective feeedback in this extreme dynamic system. Its not uncommon to see a few runs like that when we have this type of setup.

Unlike 2/10/10 last winter, we have a very potent system driving the PVA well into central/NE PA....which is a very good Miller B setup for us. If you loop the Feb 10 event last year...you can see the best PVA went almost due east through WV, VA, MD and off the delmarva.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2010/us0210.php

Its still possible we could see some sort of weird setup like the NAM where it shoots E at the very last second, but that type of solution is more unlikely than a very close tucked in track IMHO. Even a NAM solution gives 90% of SNE warning criteria snows...but I think its too far SE.

Great to get away from the board for a few hours and then come back and read everything. gives better perspective at least for me. Moderately excited and rather expectant here. Classic New England snowstorm coming. I expect to have a WSW Tues morning for 6-10. I will be very happy with that. 12+ would be great of course and who knows....but a nice solid storm the peak of which occurs in the daytime so I can be out in it, also on top of existing snow cover which makes is seem like more, with cold air following, overrunning/swfe on the horizon. Big snowpack coming and I high hope of being on the right side of my over/under number of 45 by Jan 31.

You guys are the greatest, this board is something else.

CoT FTW

You have an intense area of vorticity on the models ripping northeast from the OH valley...it tucks itself up right underneath the S coast of SNE but some of the models are trying to squirt the surface low much further east. The 18z NAM actually sort of had the PVA (positive vorticity advection) stop to halt and go east...I find that unlikely and possible convective feeedback in this extreme dynamic system. Its not uncommon to see a few runs like that when we have this type of setup.

Unlike 2/10/10 last winter, we have a very potent system driving the PVA well into central/NE PA....which is a very good Miller B setup for us. If you loop the Feb 10 event last year...you can see the best PVA went almost due east through WV, VA, MD and off the delmarva.

http://www.meteo.psu...2010/us0210.php

Its still possible we could see some sort of weird setup like the NAM where it shoots E at the very last second, but that type of solution is more unlikely than a very close tucked in track IMHO. Even a NAM solution gives 90% of SNE warning criteria snows...but I think its too far SE.

Yeah right now it's not looking exactly like 2/10... but it's something that could go wrong IMO... if the PVA gets focused too far south and everything closes off and stacks underneath us.

ok let me get this straight tucked in,pulled in, 50 miles more northwest are these the hopes of inlanders for your snow at the expense of us coasties or is it looking good for us on the shore im getting the feeling that some people if they had a choice would sacrifice us in a heartbeat.:P

the connecticut coastline federation for snow or ccfs lol

Yeah right now it's not looking exactly like 2/10... but it's something that could go wrong IMO... if the PVA gets focused too far south and everything closes off and stacks underneath us.

Yes, this is probably the only way we can get screwed out of this...but I think its rather unlikely. Even an 18z NAM verbatim is still a pretty good storm, just not a 12"+ job except for far SE MA.

I don't think you can use the last system with a gazillion vorts as the benchmark for model performance for this one. That's my opinion and it may differ from yours but this is totally different.

Understood.

Here's the 12z GFS and 18z NAM at the same time in frames one and two. The third frame is the old 12z NAM. If the logic goes the NAM would have a better time at handling this setup and it's moving towards the other guidance at 500....wouldn't we expect it's solution is potentially okay? I agree with you, it's been terrible for days.

I'll look forward to the 0z, just mentioning what's been going on. In the end though WF the problem the NAM and the others had the other day was with one main vort lobe coming around the base of the low....

CRAP FRAME TWO Is the old NAM...1 is the new, 3 is the gfs same time.

ok let me get this straight tucked in,pulled in, 50 miles more northwest are these the hopes of inlanders for your snow at the expense of us coasties or is it looking good for us on the shore im getting the feeling that some people if they had a choice would sacrifice us in a heartbeat.:P

the connecticut coastline federation for snow or ccfs lol

You're over by HVN, you want a track 50 miles NW too...I think this might have more of an E/W gradient for SNE (more north/south once north of here).

Billg just chucked a foot long weenie from Brookhaven to Taunton

FOCUS THEN TURNS TO WHAT WILL LIKELY BE ANOTHER MAJOR

SNOWSTORM...THE SECOND FOR MUCH OF THE AREA IN JUST A LITTLE OVER

TWO WEEKS AND THE THIRD FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN CT! SIDED WITH A 12Z

NAM/ECMWF BLEND FOR THE NASCENT LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM EXTENDING FROM

THE SRN PLAINS AND LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY INTO THE NORTHERN GULF

OF MEXICO. SAT WV IMAGERY ALREADY SHOWS A WELL DEVELOPED

BAROCLINIC LEAF AND COMMA HEAD...WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-2

INCHES/HOUR ALREADY TAKING PLACE IN THE ARKLATEX REGION...AND A

SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE PLUME ORIGINATING FROM NEAR A TROPICAL

DISTURBANCE S OF MEXICO...AND ABOVE MENTIONED MODEL GUIDANCE HAS

PICKED UP ON THIS. PROLIFIC LIGHTNING OVER THE N CENTRAL GULF OF

MEXICO MAY BE INDICATIVE OF STRONGER SHORTWAVE RIDGING AHEAD OF

THE SYSTEM THAN MOST MODEL FORECASTS...WHICH MAY FORCE AN EVENTUAL

FARTHER W LOW TRACK...AND THE NAM SEEMS TO BE PICKING UP ON

THIS. EVEN SO...STRONG ISALLOBARIC N-NE LOW LEVEL FLOW INDUCED BY

RAPID PRESSURE FALLS AS THE DEVELOPING SFC LOW MOVES FROM NE OF

HATTERAS TO SOMEWHERE BETWEEN MONTAUK AND 40N/70W TUE NIGHT BY 12Z

WED SHOULD KEEP PRECIP ALL SNOW OVER NEARLY THE ENTIRE CWA...WITH

ONLY THE FORKS OF LONG ISLAND STILL IN QUESTION. WEAKER/LESS WET

GFS SFC SOLUTION ALLOWS FOR LESS OF AN ISALLOBARIC LOW LEVEL WIND

COMPONENT AND THEREFORE MORE ONSHORE AND BLYR WARMING...WITH MIXED

PRECIP TUE NIGHT ALL THE WAY BACK TO COASTAL CT AND ALL RAIN FOR

MOST OF THE NIGHT OVER LONG ISLAND. THIS SOLUTION HAS BEEN

REJECTED ESPECIALLY SINCE THE GFS WAS ALSO TOO WARM IN COASTAL

SECTIONS FOR THE LATE DECEMBER BLIZZARD.

WINDS COULD ALSO BE AN ISSUE IN NYC AND COASTAL SECTIONS DURING

THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM LATE TUE NIGHT INTO WED MORNING...WITH

GUSTS OVER 35 MPH POSSIBLE. THESE WINDS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE

BLOWING/DRIFTING OF SNOW...BUT IT IS TOO EARLY TO SAY WHETHER THEY

WILL COINCIDE WITH HEAVY SNOW FOR A LONG ENOUGH PERIOD TO PRODUCE

TRUE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AS WITH THE LATE DECEMBER STORM.

THAT SAID...CONFIDENCE IN SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OVER 6

INCHES IS RUNNING HIGH...WITH LIKELIHOOD OF MUCH GREATER TOTALS

WHERE MESOSCALE BANDING SETS UP...MUCH TOO EARLY TO PINPOINT WHERE

THIS WILL OCCUR. HWO WILL CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE THIS POTENTIAL...

AND IT IS POSSIBLE THAT WATCHES COULD BE RAISED OVERNIGHT.

AS THE UPPER LOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE STORM PASSES E OF THE AREA BY

MIDDAY WED...TROUGHING LAGGING BEHIND COULD ALLOW LIGHT SNOW TO

PERSIST INTO WED AFTERNOON...WHILE A BLUSTERY NW WIND CONTINUES.

http://www.meteo.psu...2010/us0210.php

Will, thanks so much for the response. The frightening thing is I'm actually starting to grasp this stuff.lol I read an awful lot so I guess it's starting to sink in through osmosis. It really strikes me that this system is not nearly as complex as most we've seen recently, not as many moving parts. Ever head of Prof. Robert Fovell? I've started a 4 DVD set he's put out, got it as a X-mas present.

Archived