• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

It overdoes everything, but if it plays out like Tip outlined then it could happen. And we'll see if the rest swing around a bit. Not a big concern - give me 6, 10, 12, 16, whatever. Interesting though.

I think the idea of too far east is a non starter. This one will be juicy and frankly despite being in blizzard position on the guidance right now, I'm sweating mixing.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder wether bloomberg is praying that they don't get buried again. " if the plowers don't plow out those lowly citizens outside the upper east side i may not get re-elected"

The SNL skit last nite was pretty comical.

12z CMC seems like a scraper for SNE but it's the CMC.

awaiting future nam runs like a crackhead on a binge

I am well above 50/50 on a NJ Model type event at this point. The details on the other hand probably need to be inside of 48 hours for the NAM, but... I think what is key here is what I just mentioned to Jerry - the synoptics of the global models at 72-84 hours is a set of circumstances the NAM will be uniquely qualified to handle.

Awesome and understood. Very interesting, I sure hope you're right even if I don't jackpot as depicted. It'd be fun to watch.

I think the idea of too far east is a non starter. This one will be juicy and frankly despite being in blizzard position on the guidance right now, I'm sweating mixing.

I hope it comes through for you and everyone up there too. Jogging east does seem unlikely since we've seen how many runs of it near the BM and trends seem to be NW for the most part, if anything. Gut feeling says it'll be a classic storm with plenty of snow for all. Nothing historic, just widespread 8-12 and some above.

yes that is true ... but in these unique mesoscale-feedback scenarios, we want to start looking as early as possible. The blend of the globals together argue for a relay into the NAM's wheelhouse skill set.

I've been thinking that the NAM may not be far off from the final outcome but was hesitant to say so fearing the big weenie tag. I thought the NAM performed very well with this last system inside 100hrs. In fact, I think it nailed the jackpot area almost perfectly. I could be wrong but that's my sense of it. I'm very happy to read your thoughts on this as I follow your posts closely and your 'out of the box' thinking often scores. I will admit to often having to re-read your posts several times and having to delve into the finer points more closely as I lack the wealth of knowledge you display. As a hobbyist I find some of the material very dense but enjoy the challenge. That said, how much for MBY. J/K

NCEP MODEL DIAGNOSTIC:

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

127 PM EST SUN JAN 09 2011

...CYCLOGENESIS SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND DAY 3...

PREFERENCE: ECMWF

THE NAM IS CONSIDERABLY WEST OF THE MOST RECENT EUROPEAN CENTRE

GUIDANCE WITH THE DEVELOPMENT AND TRACK OF THIS LOW...LUMPING THE

MIDWEST CIRCULATION TOGETHER WITH THE WAVE LIFTING UP THE EAST

COAST. THE GFS TRACKS CLOSER TO THE ECMWF...BUT IS SLIGHTLY

FASTER AND LESS INTENSE. THE GEM GLOBAL AND UKMET ARE FLATTER AND

FARTHER OFFSHORE. WILL RELY ON THE MIDDLE GROUND SOLUTION OF THE

WESTERN CLUSTER AFFORDED BY THE ECMWF...WHICH SEEMS TO SORT THE

INTERACTING ENERGY MOST REASONABLY.

I've been thinking that the NAM may not be far off from the final outcome but was hesitant to say so fearing the big weenie tag. I thought the NAM performed very well with this last system inside 100hrs. In fact, I think it nailed the jackpot area almost perfectly. I could be wrong but that's my sense of it. I'm very happy to read your thoughts on this as I follow your posts closely and your 'out of the box' thinking often scores. I will admit to often having to re-read your posts several times and having to delve into the finer points more closely as I lack the wealth of knowledge you display. As a hobbyist I find some of the material very dense but enjoy the challenge. That said, how much for MBY. J/K

Even if the NAM is correct, you can't apply the generic "congrats GC; dryslot for E MA...AWT" tag. Track is not the only variable...as we saw with Dec 2005, these meso laden bombs are often very compat and the "jackpot" is not always where you would traditionally expect it.

This probably will not be as tight and extreme as Dec 2005, but in any event, any guesses at where the jackpot was in that event??

Even if the NAM is correct, you can't apply the generic "congrats GC; dryslot for E MA...AWT" tag. Track is not the only variable...as we saw with Dec 2005, these meso laden bomba are often very compat and the "jackpot is not always where you would traditionally expect it.

This probably will not be as tight and extreme as Dec 2005, but any guesses at there the jackpot was in that event??

Cape Ann? Correction - if Dec 9 2005, Francestown NH...Newburyport for Mass

Nevermind, :weenie:.

The cape certainly had a fun time, though:

105 MPH...MEASURED BY PUBLIC...REPORTED BY EMERGENCY MANAGER...

ON BLOCK ISLAND. ANEMOMETER ATOP ROOF...40 FT OFF THE

GROUND...WITH UNOBSTRUCTED PATH FROM OCEAN. ADDITIONAL

REPORTS FROM BLOCK ISLAND RANGED FROM 78 MPH TO 94 MPH.

101 MPH...MEASURED BY PUBLIC IN WELLFLEET MA. REPORTED BY CAPE

COD RADIO STATION.

100 MPH...MEASURED BY PUBLIC IN ORLEANS MA IN THE TOWN COVE SECTION.

96 MPH...MEASURED BY AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR IN EASTHAM BEFORE

THE ANEMOMETER WAS KNOCKED DOWN BY A FALLING TREE.

94 MPH...MEASURED ATOP A BLUFF OVERLOOKING NANTUCKET HARBOR.

93 MPH...MEASURED AT CAPE WIND TOWER AT ELEVATION OF 20 METERS

NEAR NANUCKET.

89 MPH...MEASURED BY AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR IN BREWSTER MA.

82 MPH...MEASURED BY PUBLIC IN KATAMA ON MARTHAS VINEYARD MA.

82 MPH...AT 44029 BUOY OFF OF CAPE ANN MA

81 MPH...MEASURED BY NWS EMPLOYEE IN TAUNTON MA

76 MPH...MEASURED BY BLUE HILL SCIENCE CENTER EMPLOYEE IN

YARMOUTHPORT MA BEFORE THE POWER WENT OUT.

75 MPH...MEASURED BY AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR IN CHATHAM MA.

73 MPH...MEASURED BY NWS SPOTTER IN MANOMET SECTION OF PLYMOUTH MA.

64 MPH...NWS ASOS OBSERVATION AT NANTUCKET MA (ACK).

64 MPH...NWS ASOS OBSERVATION AT CHATHAM MA (CQX) BEFORE THE POWER

WAS LOST.

IN ADDITION...THE CHATHAM POLICE DEPT. REPORTED HAVING SIGHTED

WATERSPOUTS LATE IN THE AFTERNOON ON FRIDAY.

Even if the NAM is correct, you can't apply the generic "congrats GC; dryslot for E MA...AWT" tag. Track is not the only variable...as we saw with Dec 2005, these meso laden bombs are often very compat and the "jackpot" is not always where you would traditionally expect it.

This probably will not be as tight and extreme as Dec 2005, but in any event, any guesses at where the jackpot was in that event??

The NAM didn't get a 6 hour plot right for days and it's right this time this far out? It just tried to wrap lows too close to the coast 2-3 times in the last few days at around this range. I'm pretty sure NCEP is right in saying go with the EC consensus track.

Archived