• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

These bowling ball 500mb you want the 500mb low JUST south of you (by 50 miles or so). Anymore than that and you can start getting screwed because the thing is stacked (normally lows tilt NW or poleward with height) but here everything is pretty much stacked vertically. Important to watch that low track.

The 18z NAM seems sort of weird and is doing some funny things with the vorticity...almost shearing it out for a time and redeveloping a 500mb low center SE.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gut is most people wont have much to complain about...just as long as expectation are kept in check. I'd start with a solid warning criteria and work our way up from the if need be.

I agree....I was just kidding.....this is a far different animal from that inverted disaster.

I'd still stick with a general 8-16".

These bowling ball 500mb you want the 500mb low JUST south of you (by 50 miles or so). Anymore than that and you can start getting screwed because the thing is stacked (normally lows tilt NW or poleward with height) but here everything is pretty much stacked vertically. Important to watch that low track.

The 18z NAM seems sort of weird and is doing some funny things with the vorticity...almost shearing it out for a time and redeveloping a 500mb low center SE.

I think all the convection and dynamics going on in the southern US with this storm is a sign we could see some pretty insane stuff for someone down the line. Remember prior to 12/9/05 there was thunder and lightning SW of here from central PA back into the OH Valley? Those are always good signs.

I think all the convection and dynamics going on in the southern US with this storm is a sign we could see some pretty insane stuff for someone down the line. Remember prior to 12/9/05 there was thunder and lightning SW of here from central PA back into the OH Valley? Those are always good signs.

I don't know how much what is going on down south is going to matter a whole lot by Tuesday. The s/w responsible pretty much falls apart... we're just left with a lot of that tapped moisture getting drawn into the storm. The dynamics of the southern stream feature pretty much going to crap.

Surprised people aren't more excited that the GFS/Euro ens are pretty much the exact same thing.

Definitely a beautiful run. Looks like the low center passes right over the BM 12Z Wednesday. GEM unfortunately looks like it's continuing the southeastward trend outside the Benchmark though.

I don't know how much what is going on down south is going to matter a whole lot by Tuesday. The s/w responsible pretty much falls apart... we're just left with a lot of that tapped moisture getting drawn into the storm. The dynamics of the southern stream feature pretty much going to crap.

Agreed.

Also I agree with the statements on the vorticity at the base. Also seems to be a huge model sticking point, not sure why.

Everyone can agree to disagree, this system I have the same concerns for as last nights but with far more positives to start. In a nutshell it's exactly what you mentioned in the earlier post.

Even anything 12"+ has been pretty uncommon here in Jan.

I can see someone getting 18" in 12 hrs from this.

12-18 is possible in this...but I would stay rather conservative for now. It has to work out just right (which it might) to get big 12-18 amounts. I'd be starting with a solid 6-12 expectation and nothing more until there is better consensus inside of 48 hours...we are still like 60-72h out, Lots of things can go wrong.

12-18 is possible in this...but I would stay rather conservative for now. It has to work out just right (which it might) to get big 12-18 amounts. I'd be starting with a solid 6-12 expectation and nothing more until there is better consensus inside of 48 hours...we are still like 60-72h out, Lots of things can go wrong.

Well, I started with 8-16" and I think that is reasonable.....I understand why you want to stay as conservative as you can for as long as possible in an attempt to avoid ever having to cut back.....that is understandable when you are doing this professionally.

I don't but I could be wrong. Smidge weaker with the ML low and more vorticity in the base. I guess it could go either way.

EDIT I'm at 42 hours. lower heights in the east and a further SE displacement to the vorticity. It's stronger though too.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the low placement will be much different, but it does look juicier to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the low placement will be much different, but it does look juicier to me.

Placement by 48 is similar to the 12z NAM at 500. Height structure to the NE is a little different though.

EDIT: Heights look less impressive in advance but there's a timing shift which may be accounting for a lot of it, tough to tell.

Archived