• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 2011 Part 2

MotoWeatherman

Like Burger mentioned, this is the Christmas storm track. but much colder everywhere. Its precip shield is mainly south of 40, but I think its being a little too far south, just my opinion, as most Gulf storms are further north than shown at 3 to 5 days out, we'll see. Regardless, the temps are going to be there, much of the Deep South gets a big one from this, and the qpf and lift is probably maxed from northern louisiana to northern /central Miss-Ala-Ga where the whole section could top 6" with no problem. I woudlnt' be surprised to see southern Arkansas or some spots overa foot with this setup.

At 132, the low is stalled off the GA coast, still snowing in Carolinas and GA.

This run says Happy New Year to the vast majority of the SE Posters on here...... the EURO is keeping the trend going!

EDIT: too bad it's only Wednesday and things will change. Maybe this time it will continue to change for the better

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how this will turn out, but when heavy precip in central and southern TX and a low in the western gulf, LOOK OUT SOUTHERN APPS!

Many times that is the case, but not always:(. Better pray for the "usual" north trend here as far as our area of the southern Apps goes.

I think its being a little too far south, just my opinion, as most Gulf storms are further north than shown at 3 to 5 days out, we'll see. Regardless, the temps are going to be there, much of the Deep South gets a big one from this, and the qpf and lift is probably maxed from northern louisiana to northern /central Miss-Ala-Ga where the whole section could top 6" with no problem.

This sums it up perfectly...

Like Burger mentioned, this is the Christmas storm track. but much colder everywhere. Its precip shield is mainly south of 40, but I think its being a little too far south, just my opinion, as most Gulf storms are further north than shown at 3 to 5 days out, we'll see. Regardless, the temps are going to be there, much of the Deep South gets a big one from this, and the qpf and lift is probably maxed from northern louisiana to northern /central Miss-Ala-Ga where the whole section could top 6" with no problem. I woudlnt' be surprised to see southern Arkansas or some spots overa foot with this setup.

Like to hear that, hopefully us coastal folks will make up for the near miss on xmas weekend due to colder temps this time around :popcorn:

this is an excellent track and setup, perfect for the Classic 1980's snowstorm that used to happen occassionally. We really havent' had that setup , we almost did last season, but the temps didn't cooperate much on a widespread basis like this. I'd prefer to see it s moisture further north, but there's plenty more time for that. Its hard to see the strong s/w shrink out like that but it is stronger and for a longer trip , once again like the Christmas storm was. The trends have all been great, and Its looking like the questions now will be how much snow. It could be one for the books in places like Jackson Birmingham Atlanta and Columbia, and someone in between will be shoveling lots of sleet.

What impresses me also is how slow it is. It isn't one of these that move at 50 or 60 mph. So if the moisture is there, someone is going to get hammered. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 10 inch sweet spot somewhere. It's nice indeed the cold air is plentiful, even for central areas of alabama, ga, and sc. I like also how it has a trough lingering back into the western carolinas too..very similar to the last one which enhanced totals here.

But it needs to be said, this is potentially a historic snow for alabama and ms with the euro painting out nearly an inch across the central areas. Overall, you are absolutely right..this is a great setup for something truly special for ms, al, ga, and sc. Even LA gets in on the act as the euro shows one plus inch amounts there and it looks cold enough. To have a storm dump 5 to 10 inches of snow from La to sc would be absolutely incredible. It's hard to say if this will trend north enough to hammer nc but I would wager there is a good chance of that too given how things have played out the last 2 winters.

Fwiw..my backyard would probably be somewhere around 0.75 but the 1 inch contour isn't far away :snowman:

Correction, it has another 0.10 to 0.25 after hour 144...so that should put me at an inch or so. Unreal.

This run of the Euro has caused a warm tingly feeling to run up my leg. The Christmas storm track with colder temps is just what is needed for much of GA, AL. I got about 2" Christmas Day, but had to suffer through about four hours of rain. Then snow melted for a couple hours. Could have easily had 5-6"+ with better temps. This has the looks of a long, strong crusher for much of the deep south with longs of cold air behind to keep the snow around awhile. If it could only verify!!

Updated QPF's thru 12z Wednesday.

>.75" for pretty much all areas of GA north of a line from Columbus to Macon to Jekyll Island. Major...major...event.

>.75" for all of SC and the NC mountains.

>.75" for most of Alabama.

Do you have information on P-types across Coastal SC on hand?

this is an excellent track and setup, perfect for the Classic 1980's snowstorm that used to happen occassionally. We really havent' had that setup , we almost did last season, but the temps didn't cooperate much on a widespread basis like this. I'd prefer to see it s moisture further north, but there's plenty more time for that. Its hard to see the strong s/w shrink out like that but it is stronger and for a longer trip , once again like the Christmas storm was. The trends have all been great, and Its looking like the questions now will be how much snow. It could be one for the books in places like Jackson Birmingham Atlanta and Columbia, and someone in between will be shoveling lots of sleet.

Lol, that'd be me! I love that the models I've seen this week have been showing moisture hanging around for days, and impulses in the stream over and over. I've loved hearing you N.C. folks talk about the big repeating hits back in the 60's that your folks talk about up there. Hoping this will be that historic shot you were alluding to a few days back. But the main things is...how about you? Does the Doc hammer Robert this time? T

Do you have information on P-types across Coastal SC on hand?

Verbatim it looks like a snow to rain back to flurries on the back end. As the system shears out the 850 zero line retreats to the NC/SC line until 0z Wed. But it does look like a decent amount of QPF before the 850 zero moves north. I can't see soundings or other temp layers so it's hard to say.

redevelopment Tuesday over n. Ga and the Carolinas, with stalled lee trough and incoming divergence. This is going to be biggest, most widespread snowstorm across the South east since 1988, maybe 1982.:snowman:

gotta run.

I talked about the 1982 storm last week in my thread/local paper article... that was the one that came a couple days after Banner Elk was -25.

Here's the 88 analog for North Carolina...

ID_119.gif

redevelopment Tuesday over n. Ga and the Carolinas, with stalled lee trough and incoming divergence. This is going to be biggest, most widespread snowstorm across the South east since 1988, maybe 1982.:snowman:

gotta run.

We do have to keep in mind this is 4 to 6 days away so a lot could change and it isn't a slam dunk by any means. History has taught us to keep our expectations and emotions in check but it is really hard to seeing this setup. We have decent model agreement and the pattern dictates any low should take a near perfect track for heavy inland snow. Half of me wants to jump out of my seat the other half says hold on..it's not here just yet lol.

Just saw the Euro- a snow event that lasts for 2 days and we get maybe a foot? Am I dreaming?

:lmao: Man I am truly hoping atlanta and you get a historic thumping.

Euro show's snow for 48 hours in many locations.

Totals for selected cities:

AVL .63

HKY .36

CLT .49

RDU .49

ATL .99

CAE 1.17

I would think most of the ratios in NC would be greater than 15:1 given the sfc and 850 temps. so I would estimate the euro is printing out:

AVL 8-12

HKY 5-10

CLT-5-10

RDU 5-10

ATL 10-12

CAE 10-12

Archived