• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 2011 Part 2

MotoWeatherman

I know it's the extended NAM, but the 12Z run looks very similar to the 0Z Euro for 0Z Sunday. 850 temps are pretty much identical with the Euro as the model pops a SLP in southern Texas at 84hrs. The only difference I can note is at 5H the southern trough is tilted positive on the NAM, while the GFS/EURO are both neutral at this same time stamp (0Z Sunday).

nam_pcp_084s.gif

nam_500_084s.gif

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, the kind of trend I like!

the RUC leaves an axis of moisture over most of NC overnight tonight, while the southern part scoots offshore, that may end up being a good thing somewhere in NC, with light snow overnight. Right now, the 850 drops below zero on it everywhere north and west of about Fayetteville, but with the warmer boundary layers, it always comes down to precip rates. I think some areas will be snow, like 40 areas from RDU west, but for my around along 74 from CLT and west, we're going to fight the lowest 1000 feet of above freezing air a while. If rates can overperform, the snow may make it down. It has it arriving here around 7 pm, and continueing through 3 am.

Per the 12z NAM/GFS the 2m Temps are mid/upper 30's so with those temps it would be rain and even it was snow it melt on contact.

Not only that, it's warm through at least 950mb. gfs/nam have 950mb temps in the 2 to 3c range with wetbulbs about the same. Which means whatever falls would be rain for a lot of folks, especially the southern half of nc. The exception being the mountains and maybe from gso to rdu but it's not a slam dunk there either..very borderline. I would think it would be cold enough for at least a mix there but it's hard to see any accumulation coming from it unless the precip is steady for a while. But for places like hickory, charlotte, etc it looks like all rain to me.

GFS to 72, pretty similar to the Euro at that point...

out through 108 it has a very nice looking trough in Texas of course it slowly weakens, but I think the trend here (even maybe slightly tilting neg) is for it to be stronger, longer and even though its still pretty far south, the Great Lakes vortex is moving out. Also, many systems have been much further north, so adjusting for the biases from GFS, I think this still looks very like the Euro , its plenty cold across the South from I-20, north. The big question is how far north the system really gets.

out through 108 it has a very nice looking trough in Texas of course it slowly weakens, but I think the trend here (even maybe slightly tilting neg) is for it to be stronger, longer and even though its still pretty far south, the Great Lakes vortex is moving out. Also, many systems have been much further north, so adjusting for the biases from GFS, I think this still looks very like the Euro , its plenty cold across the South from I-20, north. The big question is how far north the system really gets.

Yeah I'm not worried at all about the gfs being too suppressed this run. We have seen it so many times of late at this range only for it to be wrong..and certainly so with all of our recent snows.

the GFS is stalling the low in the Gulf, thanks to the incoming Rockies wave, but considering the biases of the GFS , this is an excellent run. As long as the Euro maintains its look with the lakes Vortex pulling east/easing up (still a big question mark), then the precip should be substantially further north than the GFS has. IE, Miller A, with plenty cold across the northern thirds of Miss, Ala, GA and the Carolinas. Also southern 2/3 of Tenn imo.

I'm with you, it didn't totally suppress the hell out of it and given how the trends have been in our favor this is a good run. Euro will really be in it's wheel house tonight and tomorrow so those are the models to watch.

The way this is evolving sort of fits my thoughts a few days ago, with a one-two punch. First the Miller A, and right on its heels will be re-development of overruning along the baroclinic zone. I know thats hard to imagine since it has happened only a couple times since the early 80's, but thats how its shaping up. The GFS is going to have trouble resolving this, but the Euro was also hinting at that. This could end up being a great storm for some areas, with several days of cold, snow, sleet and ZR depending on where you are.:snowman:

The way this is evolving sort of fits my thoughts a few days ago, with a one-two punch. First the Miller A, and right on its heels will be re-development of overruning along the baroclinic zone. I know thats hard to imagine since it has happened only a couple times since the early 80's, but thats how its shaping up. The GFS is going to have trouble resolving this, but the Euro was also hinting at that. This could end up being a great storm for some areas, with several days of cold, snow, sleet and ZR depending on where you are.:snowman:

Great point Robert. This could end up being an epic 3 to 4 weeks. I thought the GFS was gonna go to Cuba as it had the vort alot farther south than 0z. yet it held it together longer and kept it farther north in the Gulf. I guess in a couple days it will come arount to the Euro solution or similiar.

Archived