joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2011 Part 2

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEm has a serious snowstorm for northern Al, GA and western SC. Its a little late to start and takes the really southern track sout of Texas, but does get there.

I had to step away for and saw it and my mouth sort of dropped a little lol. It also has decent wedging as well so there would be some ice/snow south of the snow area it would appear. If I'm reading the maps right, ggem puts over an inch liquid over my local and taken verbatum it would be a heavy snow before changing to sleet/freezing rain at the very end but only minor. Good lord I would hope that would be right.

Waiting on the euro now.

Will anyone on here right now do a PBP for the Euro?

Through hour 102... plenty of cold air around and heavy precip breaking out in texas.

108 is looking yummy so far..heavy precip in the southern ms valley...0c line is cutting across the middle of the ga/ms/al

I had to step away for and saw it and my mouth sort of dropped a little lol. It also has decent wedging as well so there would be some ice/snow south of the snow area it would appear. If I'm reading the maps right, ggem puts over an inch liquid over my local and taken verbatum it would be a heavy snow before changing to sleet/freezing rain at the very end but only minor. Good lord I would hope that would be right.

Waiting on the euro now.

Thats awesome news for you Lookout!

:snowman: at 114 A sub 1004mb low just south of la, 0.10 to 0.25 amounts in ms/al...more than that in ark/la. 0c still across central ga.

at 120, widespread snow across ga, alabama, ms. 0.10 to 0.25 amounts. Low strength still the same and south of the florida panhandle. 0c runs roughly from macon to augusta to north of charleston.

On the bottom right panel, the key will show you how many mm of precip for your specific location. There are many millimeter to inches converters on the web. That should enable you to answer your own question.

GGEM is looking like a nice storm at hour 120. Any thoughts at the severity of this winter event? light, moderate, or heavy snow?

how is Robert's area and wsc looking as far as temps i really hope he can score big with this one lookout!! He works real hard on this forum the least he could get is a substantial snow fall!!

:snowman: at 114 A sub 1004mb low just south of la, 0.10 to 0.25 amounts in ms/al...more than that in ark/la. 0c still across central ga.

at 120, widespread snow across ga, alabama, ms. 0.10 to 0.25 amounts. Low strength still the same and south of the florida panhandle. 0c runs roughly from macon to augusta to north of charleston.

At hour 126, low is weakening across florida but a stripe of another 0.25 amounts run from extreme ne ms through northern alabama into sc. 0.10 amounts make it to about hky to rdu but not much north of that. 0c runs from just south of atlanta to wilmington.

Disguising your IMBY question as some sort of winter weather philanthropy is not an effective tactic.

how is Robert's area and wsc looking as far as temps i really hope he can score big with this one lookout!! He works real hard on this forum the least he could get is a substantial snow fall!!

Quite a change from previous runs...again. Good change at that!

Sounds sort of in line with the GGEM. Does it not?

Does it make it North in Tennessee?

Waiting on the euro now.

I like the low heading for the keys on the gfs. When it comes north like the one tomorrow, it will be moving thru northern Fla. where we want it. I might be able to escape the dreaded waa if it stays down there. Don't want no ice storm, lol. I expect a lot of liquid. T

Taken literally around 0.50. I would suppose but amounts this far in advance are irrelevant. The big news we have 2 models showing another great snow/winter storm for the south. Temps look cold enough. At 18z sunday, the euro has the surface freezing line running from gsp to gainesville to atlanta....given the precip it's spitting out, I'm assuming temps drop to near freezing after it starts because temps start at or below freezing from atlanta to athens to columbia..then by 120, the freezing line is well to the south..from columbus to south of augusta and south of columbia.

Total amounts btw are greater than 0.50 for ga/sc and close to an inch for alabama/ms. Cutoff seems to be hky to rdu, north of there generally less than 0.25.

Really wasn't concerned with how much just wondering where the 0c line was on this run if it was a colder run that is all I didn't ask for total I know how anoying that is and Robert should get hit good once it has been a while since that has happened sorry really meant no harm by asking I can understand most model maps but the Euro I don't quite understand alot on!!

Disguising your IMBY question as some sort of winter weather philanthropy is not an effective tactic.

Sounds like tonight's models have come together nicely. Euro and Canadian show snow moving across the south around 120 hrs. and the GFS going from a lakes cutter to a Cuban cutter in one run. That sounds just about where we would want things to be right now. The potential is there for many of us to score if the trend continues.

Just saw a JB video on accuweather. He shows snowcover maps from their prosite. It has snow covering most of the south on days 5, 10 and 15 with it increasing on each frame. Also says it could be coldest January for much of the country since the 80's. Sounds like he has given up on his torch for the SE in January.

Good night all.

Guys, what happens if the whole sounding is below freezing except at 1000-500 it's 543? Is that a small warm nose close to the surface then?

1000-500 mb thicknesses really shouldn't be used anymore. At best, they give you a very rough idea of the average temperature of the layer. But if you have a sounding, take that over the thickness. IIRC, Wes (usedtobe) was pretty serious about this when he gave his talk on snow types at conference II.

1000-500 mb thicknesses really shouldn't be used anymore. At best, they give you a very rough idea of the average temperature of the layer. But if you have a sounding, take that over the thickness. IIRC, Wes (usedtobe) was pretty serious about this when he gave his talk on snow types at conference II.

Thanks for the response. Then it looks like the Euro is even giving the CAE area over .75 liquid with 850s below 0c, and the 2m temps below for the majority of the event.

Just got back and all I can say is laugh.gif lol... I was thinking the gfs might make a shift, but this was a bit more extreme than expected. I'm currently working on an extended discussion for tomorrow and beyond and should have that out in the next few hours. Glad to see that the Euro has held its position (although it is a touch weaker than 12z) while the GGEM converged to the ultimate awesome solution.

Just got back and all I can say is laugh.gif lol... I was thinking the gfs might make a shift, but this was a bit more extreme than expected. I'm currently working on an extended discussion for tomorrow and beyond and should have that out in the next few hours. Glad to see that the Euro has held its position (although it is a touch weaker than 12z) while the GGEM converged to the ultimate awesome solution.

Sorry, for me the Euro is a better solution.....:rolleyes:

Archived