• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2011 Part 2

MotoWeatherman

the colder air is prevailing on this run, further west , like the Euro and Phil mentioned. the only thing is the southern stream is weaker, which I have doubts about compared to the better resolution EURO. This could be overrunning snow for ATL and northern Deep South fairly quickly, adjusting for the biases of the GFS. By Sunday midday at 114 its supressed in southern Miss. and the precip shield doesnt' get far north. It may be correct, but I love the look , again adjusting for biases and errors the GFS has at this range.

@120 it looks like it might be trying to turn...not sure if that will help us at all. This run looks a lot like the GFS was panting with the Christmas storm a few days out.

I take that back, it gets suppressed down to Key West at 126

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When tonights Euro comes in witha big snowfall overruning the Tenn Valley , from Tup to ATL and points north, which it likely will, it will once again show why its superior to the GFS at this time range and the biases are evident. It still could get warmer and become a mixed bag, but I'd fear that much more than supression at this point for Tenn , n. Ala and GA and the carolinas. The GFS is just showing its biases, and a good reason not to follow the model at this time range verbatim.

@120 it looks like it might be trying to turn...not sure if that will help us at all. This run looks a lot like the GFS was panting with the Christmas storm a few days out.

You know, didn't the Christmas storm do the same thing...Probably a different set-up. But we are kind of in that range where models lose systems for some reason.

Big shift from previous runs through 120hrs, continuity is lost, as is the Miller B on this run... :thumbsup: And you are correct, it does look similar to the period just before Christmas with respect to the southern stream placement around LA, however, there is no evidence of a northern parcel phasing, rather just an untouched southern stream vort. Good run, and a step in the right direction.

gfs_500_114s.gif

I was about to say...this thing may give Fidel some snow! :thumbsup: I am quite sure this will show a different solution tomorrow. The models are having a very tough time picking up on the waves diving down. Man...I was hoping for a colder (which we have on this run) but more northerly (precip) on this run. I guess I need to try to stay up to see what the EURO has to say. :weenie:

Was just looking at that. GFS is warmer and is usually more accurate than the NAM. At this point likely P-TYPE in GA would be cold rain.

Probably, but the next clipper system is a bit more moist than prior runs for north ga. Although it doesn't show a lot of precip, there is a fair bit of moisture with it. It's a very quick shot though but temps plenty cold enough. So could see a quick shot of snow showers late thursday night/friday morning. Doesn't look quite as promising as it did earlier when I looked at it for nc though at first glance.

When tonights Euro comes in witha big snowfall overruning the Tenn Valley , from Tup to ATL and points north, which it likely will, it will once again show why its superior to the GFS at this time range and the biases are evident. It still could get warmer and become a mixed bag, but I'd fear that much more than supression at this point for Tenn , n. Ala and GA and the carolinas. The GFS is just showing its biases, and a good reason not to follow the model at this time range verbatim.

Foothills,

If you are staying up to PBP the Euro, then I am in for the ride tonight. I gots ta know...:thumbsup:

I was about to say...this thing may give Fidel some snow! :thumbsup: I am quite sure this will show a different solution tomorrow. The models are having a very tough time picking up on the waves diving down. Man...I was hoping for a colder (which we have on this run) but more northerly (precip) on this run. I guess I need to try to stay up to see what the EURO has to say. :weenie:

Yea I have to pick up the GF from the airport at midnight tonight so I might stay up for the Euro but I really need sleep! I like what Robert is preaching tonight though.

Ok, now that is funny! No kidding. I worked late, glanced quickly at the 18z, saw a lakes cutter, and moved on. This run is not even in the same ballpark. Maybe whatever is causing those birds to fall out of the sky is messing w/ the model data. :whistle:

LOL.. I was waiting to see this run look more like the 12z euro. This is just insane. I wonder if the CMC will still have a 985 low in eastern Kansas agian. Im gonna ride the "Robert model" for now.:thumbsup::whistle:

If I am reading this correctly, NWS-GSP does not seem too confident with tomorrow night:

AS PER LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE...WE CAN ADD LITTLE OF VALUE TO THE

FORECAST FOR TOMORROW AND TOMORROW NIGHT ATTM. GUIDANCE IS TRENDING

TOWARD THE FRONTOGENETICALLY-FORCED LIGHT PRECIP BAND TO DEVELOP

SOMEWHERE OVER THE NORTHERN HALF OF SC BY TOMORROW AFTERNOON...WITH

PRECIP HOLDING OFF OVER THE MTNS UNTIL QG FORCING CROSSES THE REGION

WED EVENING. ALTHOUGH THE DETAILS COULD PROBABLY USE SOME MINOR

TWEAKING IN TERMS OF TIMING/QPF...THE OVERALL TREND OF ALL RAIN

PIEDMONT/FHILLS...AND A MOSTLY SNOW/LOW-LEVEL ADVISORY EVENT IN THE

MTNS HAS VERY STRONG SUPPORT FROM ALL EXAMINED GUIDANCE.

Archived