• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2011 Part 2

MotoWeatherman

I'm just amazed we're getting all these opportunities this winter. A lot of people were saying this could be one of the worst winters ever in terms of snow and cold (meaning lack of snow and cold) , and yet it seems like almost the opposite is happening. I guess that just goes to show you shouldn't put too much confidence into weather predictions months that are made months in advance. I really was very depressed back in the fall, thinking this was just going to be a horrible winter.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw the 3 hour canadian maps on Accuwx pro...here's my interpretation:

12z GGEM would be a crippling ice event south of a line from about Union to Lancaster. 1.25"+ of QPF, almost all of it freezing precip. The upstate and on up into the southwest and southern piedmont would probably see a foot or more of snow.

I'll take that solution please bike.gif....seems like the Euro is a good down the middle road though and two runs in a row? Man almost feel like taking it to the bank right now.

Yeah it does seem that way with respect to the tracks. It's funny that we went FOREVER without a classic gulf low and now all of a sudden they show up. It's about freaking time :lmao:

Also what's good about this is we have a cold airmass that comes in behind it for a few days so it will stick around for a little while. Plus with the relatively cold airmass ahead of it, unlike the last few, ground temps should be much colder. So there is a chance that we actually accumulate all that falls..unlike the last few where I know for sure we lost a few inches due to the warm ground temps melting the snow from underneath.

Of course this isn't a certainty so I should probably not speak in absolute terms like this so I should add IF into the equation.

But man oh man, if this is right, we are going to be sitting pretty my friend. :snowman:

x2

I have held of posting anything, but like Cheeze said, it's our turn and I would like to take it on this run of the EURO.

Still have to tell myself it is 5 days out and a lot could change, so I am trying to temper my expectations. This would surely be a cliff diver if it was to go to Cuba. :whistle:

Here is to hoping the DOT has their work cut out for them! :snowman::thumbsup::snowman::thumbsup:

Yeah it does seem that way with respect to the tracks. It's funny that we went FOREVER without a classic gulf low and now all of a sudden they show up. It's about freaking time :lmao:

Also what's good about this is we have a cold airmass that comes in behind it for a few days so it will stick around for a little while. Plus with the relatively cold airmass ahead of it, unlike the last few, ground temps should be much colder. So there is a chance that we actually accumulate all that falls..unlike the last few where I know for sure we lost a few inches due to the warm ground temps melting the snow from underneath.

Of course this isn't a certainty so I should probably not speak in absolute terms like this so I should add IF into the equation.

But man oh man, if this is right, we are going to be sitting pretty my friend. :snowman:

Yeah I think this is the biggest difference between this storm and EVERY OTHER STORM to hit Charlotte the last 5 years has been the marginal temps. Always starts snowing when its 35-36 degrees and it falls to right at 32. It always melts as it falls and the only way we get accumulation is when it snows so hard that it accumulates faster than it can melt.

This storm seems like the cold is nice and entrenched so when it starts falling, it'll stick immediately and accumulates. That's huge for me. If I can get just 4 inches of pure accumulations that makes EVERYTHING white, I'm golden. Lots a time for this to take a nose dive, but again......the good ones you usually see from several days out; plus the pattern is ripe. :guitar:

x2

I have held of posting anything, but like Cheeze said, it's our turn and I would like to take it on this run of the EURO.

Still have to tell myself it is 5 days out and a lot could change, so I am trying to temper my expectations. This would surely be a cliff diver if it was to go to Cuba. :whistle:

Here is to hoping the DOT has their work cut out for them! :snowman::thumbsup::snowman::thumbsup:

Can we just freeze this run of the Euro and save it until Sunday ??? :snowman:

You beat me to it Lookout... I was going to say add another .1 to .15 to those totals because of the long duration. This run is just too good to be true but man on man I'll be saying an extra long prayer tonight in hopes it pans out!

hopefully it will produce what it says, During Christmas week we were suppose to get 12 or more inches. Then it lost the storm then we did get 7inches. Not complaining just wish it would verify one time for a big one

What impresses me also is how slow it is. It isn't one of these that move at 50 or 60 mph. So if the moisture is there, someone is going to get hammered. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 10 inch sweet spot somewhere. It's nice indeed the cold air is plentiful, even for central areas of alabama, ga, and sc. I like also how it has a trough lingering back into the western carolinas too..very similar to the last one which enhanced totals here.

Fwiw..my backyard would probably be somewhere around 0.75 but the 1 inch contour isn't far away :snowman:

Correction, it has another 0.10 to 0.25 after hour 144...so that should put me at an inch or so. Unreal.

Seeing IMBY comments from people who offer no clue as to just where their back yard actually is, is not uncommon....but I'm surprised to see you doing that.

:lightning:

hopefully it will produce what it says, During Christmas week we were suppose to get 12 or more inches. Then it lost the storm then we did get 7inches. Not complaining just wish it would verify one time for a big one

Yeah, but I lose all credibility when I complain about only getting 7 or 8 inches at Christmas.

12z GGEM would be a crippling ice event south of a line from about Union to Lancaster. 1.25"+ of QPF, almost all of it freezing precip. The upstate and on up into the southwest and southern piedmont would probably see a foot or more of snow.

Posted below in the banter thread, but haven't gotten any responses. As a Accuwx subscriber, would you be so kind to offer your advice?

Thinking about signing up for a Accuweather Pro subscription. I was a subscriber years ago when it first came out then dropped it when the subscription price went up threefold. Felt it wasn't worth reading for just reading JB's disco since most other products were available for free elsewhere.

With the existing pattern setting up, I'm thinking about re-upping. I see it now gives access to the EMCF. How much more, if any, data is available than what can be found elsewhere?

They have all have come back North west before its all said and done. Too far out to get excited.

This is true, which is why I am excited. If anyone in eastern TN or southwest VA isn't excited they just don't know how this typically works. Two things

1. Potential for a minor shift to the north with the actual low

and more importantly (for me). and even if number one DOESN'T happen........

2. A more robust precip shield further north than depicted

May not happen every time, but if we are talking percentages, I'd say it's between 70-80% of the time this happens.

ECMWF is again the two part solution, southern stream s/w damps out as it comes east thus less precip the further east you get, however the broad trough over the Rockies dives in Monday and causes precip redevelopment over the interior Carolinas and pulls the surface low associated with the southern stream system back towards the coast so to speak with re-development right off the SE coast.

A very interesting storm setup for sure. I am always afraid of these setups as I was scarred for life by the Dec 2-3 2000 nonevent in Raleigh where we were relying on northern stream energy to dive in and save the day at the last minute.

Even still this is a different setup and the model agreement is nice to see.

Jeremy, I'm putting you in charge of the committee to find my foot of snow for this storm. Report back to me at 1800 hrs. Thanks.

Interesting. The Feb 12 dropped 8" on storm while I got 1" downtown. The marine layer killed me then so I have to keep a lid on my expectations for this one. You're giving me some hope though, looks like it'll be a matter of if we get from freezing rain to rain or some snow, should be fun to watch.

Yeah, similar here in myrtle but I had 3" 2 miles inland from the ocean back in the feb storm SST's up here generally run 10-15 degrees colder in winter. For instance MB Springmaid pier water temps are currently ~45 where I saw Folly beach water temps are ~60. Marine layer isnt as big of a deal up here hopefully.

either way, bring it, been awhile since the coast of SC has been hammered by a good winter storm

Seeing IMBY comments from people who offer no clue as to just where their back yard actually is, is not uncommon....but I'm surprised to see you doing that.

:lightning:

Most know where I am already ;)

For those who don't, i'm along the madison/oglethorpe county border about 30 miles east-northeast of athens.

270 User(s) are reading this topic

140 members, 119 guests, 11 anonymous users

On a related note, What a difference compared to a few years ago when it was only a dozen or two of us. The southeast group has really exploded. Yes we have had some problems with weenies and so forth but we have really been a well behaved group compared to other regions when they are active. Please keep it up folks.

But a reminder, please limit the "how much for my backyard" questions. Most of the time you can get a reasonable if not accurate answer to your question if you just read the thread. In fact, most questions you new members have are often answered already. Also, please refrain from the one line posts/comments that don't add to the discussion. There is another thread for that sort of stuff and things like that will be deleted in this thread.

Considering what looks to be a active few days here, we will once again likely go into storm mode and be more strict with this stuff. And remember, repeat offenders will be given a timeout.

Posted below in the banter thread, but haven't gotten any responses. As a Accuwx subscriber, would you be so kind to offer your advice?

Thinking about signing up for a Accuweather Pro subscription. I was a subscriber years ago when it first came out then dropped it when the subscription price went up threefold. Felt it wasn't worth reading for just reading JB's disco since most other products were available for free elsewhere.

With the existing pattern setting up, I'm thinking about re-upping. I see it now gives access to the EMCF. How much more, if any, data is available than what can be found elsewhere?

I actually really like it...maps are out a little later than sv but i'm a big fan of the Extracted data on the euro. There's also 3 hour Canadian maps and the JMA is there too.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

129 PM EST WED JAN 05 2011

VALID 12Z SAT JAN 08 2011 - 12Z WED JAN 12 2011

...A COLD PATTERN FOR THE NATION WITH STORM POTENITAL OVER THE US

SRN TIER AND UP THE EAST COAST...

STILL EXPECT MOST OF THE CONUS TO REMAIN UNDER BELOW NORMAL

HEIGHTS ALOFT FOR MOST OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD...CORRESPONDING

TO RIDGING/ABOVE NORMAL HEIGHTS AT HIGHER LATITUDE. GUIDANCE IS

SHOWING SOME SHIFTING IN EMPHASIS WITH THE HIGH LATITUDE

RIDGING...WITH A WEAKENING TREND OVER CANADA AND A STRENGTHENING

TREND OVER/NEAR ALASKA. THIS TRANSITION SHOULD EVENTUALLY LEAD TO

SOMEWHAT MORE PACIFIC FLOW REACHING THE WRN CONUS. LATEST AND

RECENT MODEL/ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE SHOWS GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE LARGE

SCALE SCENARIO THRU THE PERIOD. HOWEVER THERE ARE PERSISTENT

DETAIL DIFFERENCES AND RUN TO RUN CONTINUITY CHANGES WITH THE

AMPLITUDE/TIMING OF DAY 3 SAT NWRN CONUS/SWRN CANADA ENERGY

AMPLIFYING INTO THE WEST/PLAINS SUN/MON...WHICH IN TURN AFFECT A

TROF/CLOSED LOW ENTERING THE SWRN CONUS/NWRN MEXICO UNDERNEATH

FRI/SAT LEADING INTO THE MEDIUM RANGE.

AFTER GUIDANCE GENERALLY TRENDED FASTER/MORE AMPLIFIED WITH

W-CENTRAL CONUS FLOW IN THE PRIOR 24 HOURS...SOLUTIONS NOW REFLECT

SOME MODERATION AWAY FROM THAT IDEA AND AS A RESULT THE LEADING

SRN STREAM SHORTWAVE IS MORE SUPPRESSED AS REFLECTED IN MOST

GUIDANCE FROM BEFORE YESTERDAY. THE 00Z GFS/CMC ARE THE LEAST

AMPLIFIED BY EARLY NEXT WEEK...BUT THE CMC HAS AN OUTLIER

EVOLUTION OVER THE ERN PAC WHICH ARGUES FOR DISCOUNTING ITS

SOLUTION. GIVEN THE DEVELOPMENT OF DAILY OSCILLATION IN

GUIDANCE...AN INTERMEDIATE SOLUTION COMPOSED OF THE 00Z ECMWF AND

12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN APPEARS TO BE THE BEST OPTION THRU AT

LEAST THE WEEKEND. LATER IN THE PERIOD THE 00Z GEFS MEAN JOINED

THE ECMWF MEAN ALOFT AND IN SHOWING ORGANIZED WRN ATLANTIC SURFACE

CYCLOGENSIS CLOSER TO THE COAST THAN THE 00Z GFS/ECMWF. TYPICAL

DIFFICULTY THAT GUIDANCE HAS WITH IMPORTANT DETAILS BEYOND 2-3

DAYS WOULD RECOMMEND A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THESE TWO CLUSTERS AS A

STARTING POINT...BUT THE UPDATED HPC PROGS DID ADJUST THE LOW

SLIGHTLY BACK TOWARD THE COAST CONSIDERING TRENDS FROM THE 06Z

GFS/DGEX AND THE 06Z GEFS MEAN AS PER POTENTIAL MID-UPPER LEVEL

DYNAMIC SUPPORT ALOFT. HOWEVER...THE 06Z GEFS/YESTERDAYS 12Z

ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS THAT WERE USED WITH THE 00Z ECMWF TO DERIVE

THE HPC BLENDED SOLUTION FOLLOW THIS TREND BETTER THAN THE 00Z

GEFS/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS...LEAVING LINGERING UNCERTAINTY FOR WHAT

COULD BE A ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT WINTER COASTAL STORM.

AS FOR OTHER FEATURES OVERNIGHT...THERE WAS GRADUAL IMPROVEMENT IN

AGREEMENT WITH EVOLUTION OVER THE NE CONUS INTO THE ATLANTIC

DURING THE WEEKEND. THE 00Z GFS IS A LITTLE STRONGER/SHARPER THAN

CONSENSUS WITH ITS SURFACE TROF OVER THE NORTHEAST AS OF EARLY DAY

3 SAT. THE INITIAL 00Z ECMWF/12Z ECMWF MEAN BLEND ACCOUNTS WELL

FOR THE NON-00Z GFS PREFERENCE HERE. MEANWHILE ALONG THE WEST

COAST THE CANADIAN IS AN OUTLIER WITH ITS DEEP SYSTEM NEARING THE

PAC NW COAST BY EARLY DAY 7 WED. ASIDE FROM TYPICAL TIMING

DIFFERENCES THERE IS DECENT AGREEMENT IN PRINCIPLE ON A MERE WARM

FRONT NEARING THE WEST COAST LATE IN THE FCST. A COMPROMISE AMONG

THE ENSEMBLE MEANS AND SLOWER ECMWF PROVIDED TIMING NEAR THE

MIDDLE OF THE FULL ENVELOPE OF MODEL AND ENSEMBLE SOLUTIONS.

OVERALL...WE SEE MINIMAL COMPELLING REASON TO SIGNIFICANTLY ADJUST

HPC PROG CONTINUITY AFTER CONSIDERATION OF NEWER 12Z MODEL AND

ENSEMNLE GUIDANCE THAT SHOW LIMITED NEW SOLUTION CLUSTERING.

I just have learned not to get excited until maybe 48 hours before the event. I learned the hard way that you can't put too much confidence in models this far away. We'll see where we stand in 3 days.

Turning over a new leaf, huh? Oooooooookay....

This is 4 pretty good runs for the EURO now. Mr. Bob, now that I am a bit closer to the CHA area than ATL, would you care to take a WAG at the ratios for S TN and N GA? (grain of salt taken well in advance)

Turning over a new leaf, huh? Oooooooookay....

This is 4 pretty good runs for the EURO now. Mr. Bob, now that I am a bit closer to the CHA area than ATL, would you care to take a WAG at the ratios for S TN and N GA? (grain of salt taken well in advance)

Actually, yeah. That was my new year's resolution : to not get excited about snow or ice 4 or 5 days away. And you say you are closer to CHA than ATL ? Mapquest says you are exactly 60 miles from both cities.

Archived