• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks meh for a lot of May.

Tougher and tougher for me to live here. Ugh

Hard to take when my father in coastal NC has been in the 80’s and out on the boat and golfing. 
My kid runs track and there’s been one meet so far that’s not been 48-52 and drizzle. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Irrelevant here but impressive cold snowstorm for even relatively low elevations in the Tahoe area.  I mean, I guess 6,000ft is still up there… but even if MWN got a cold, dry 26” in 24 hours it would be note-worthy.

IMG_9539.thumb.jpeg.78eb6d78bf0c381c4125f6a9c24bee27.jpeg

IMG_9538.thumb.jpeg.2a5c2309828f262598b81d23d68c7c9c.jpeg

IMG_9540.thumb.jpeg.346260d7b5f4e9e462542e92d9d5f878.jpeg

Yeah I saw. That was the central sierra snow lab’s snowiest day of the season with 26+”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Tougher and tougher for me to live here. Ugh

Hard to take when my father in coastal NC has been in the 80’s and out on the boat and golfing. 
My kid runs track and there’s been one meet so far that’s not been 48-52 and drizzle. 

Builds character.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Out of curiosity.. where did you get that forecast from ?

I don’t remember any talk on here of punting all day Sunday as a cold rain.

Was it a bit more dreary than expected?

Spring blows. Enjoy Tuesday.

"

Aside from scattered rain chances later this week, temperatures will be stuck below to well below normal thanks to aforementioned stalled front and very persistent onshore flow. Temps will be stuck in the 50s most days across the eastern half of the CWA. Frontal boundary placement will make temperature forecasting a bit tricky for CT and
western MA, where there are few opportunities late week for temps to climb into the 60s in that region.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I don’t remember any talk on here of punting all day Sunday as a cold rain.

Was it a bit more dreary than expected?

I’m not sure for his area. It was dry here until 2:00. Cool with a high of 50.7, but if you needed to get lawn stuff done most of the day was dry in CT. SW CT started earlier  . Models had the timing good in this area 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m not sure for his area. It was dry here until 2:00. Cool with a high of 50.7, but if you needed to get lawn stuff done most of the day was dry in CT. SW CT started earlier  . Models had the timing good in this area 

I can vouch for that. Was in tolland this morning. Mid '40s and total overcast (mainly sunny to some) but no rain. Felt colder.

image000000.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Builds character.

lol. Ive had all the character building I can stand. 
Nothing new. Last June 3rd. Fitchburg, meet of Champions. Kid ran the 100 in sheet drizzle and 52 degrees. 
I think we get about 8 weeks of warm and 10 months of shyte. I’m ready for some Stein.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah pretty impressive compact ULL swinging perfectly into the central Sierra.

IMG_9542.thumb.png.e48e3d91d937169ce5ec534a9fca49dd.png

The GFS nailed this. The Euro (at least earlier in the week) swung the ULL moreso across WA/OR and ID while the GFS dug into CA. Not sure how the Euro performed with it over the last few days. I'm sure it caught on eventually. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Problem is if it’s hoodie weather where you are, folks are lighting wood stoves up here :lol:.

Been stuck between 46-50F all day.  Currently 47F.

On the bright side we are still skiing. Lol

22 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

lol. Ive had all the character building I can stand. 
Nothing new. Last June 3rd. Fitchburg, meet of Champions. Kid ran the 100 in sheet drizzle and 52 degrees. 
I think we get about 8 weeks of warm and 10 months of shyte. I’m ready for some Stein.  

I think I remember that. You posted about it right? 

1 hour ago, Skivt2 said:

On the bright side we are still skiing. Lol

Yeah, it’s a nice time of year where you can get on snow if you want to.  Or enjoy spring if you want that too.

Some aerial shots of Stowe/Mansfield from a couple days ago.  Plenty of coverage for 2,000 vertical feet on numerous runs if you want to earn some turns, which many of us have been doing.

33” of natural snow depth at the Co-Op Stake on the upper East side.  Nosedive Glades and other woods shots on the Front still skiable.

IMG_5307.thumb.jpeg.cc6f8dbc84708146e0d1dd12e8a16785.jpeg

IMG_5305.thumb.jpeg.606f7c5279dd2f9f5768326fba9bbf66.jpeg

• Like 5

Great morning walk with the dog to take in the WAA and to smell all the blooms. 

Hopefully we clear out later. 

Temperatures jump 10 to 20 degrees compared to Sunday with ongoing WAA in the resulting SW flow, likely rebounding into the low to mid 70s away from the coast. Should more breaks in the cloud cover develop, temperatures inland could achieve mid to upper 70s.

Screenshot_20240506_070049_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Northern half of Mass has some clearing going on..that should give temps a boost this AM. It's also nice to see the satellite imagery progressing west to east, as opposed to NE to SW. I know it's coming back to ruin the latter half of the week and weekend, but no other choice but to soak in the next two days. 

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Northern half of Mass has some clearing going on..that should give temps a boost this AM. It's also nice to see the satellite imagery progressing west to east, as opposed to NE to SW. I know it's coming back to ruin the latter half of the week and weekend, but no other choice but to soak in the next two days. 

Maybe we get lucky this week and Wednesday through Friday isn't too bad. Weekend's looking a bit better just cool.

• Like 1

To put some objectivity to our pessimism: this year, most in our subforum will have the landscape in a cold season state fall/winter >6 months; i.e, longer than a warm season spring/summer state.

First week of November is only 6 months out….

:arrowhead:

IMG_0923.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I remember reading a social psychology/anthropology article in graduate school about this type of persistent cool, damp, and overcast weather being the driving force for the expansion of the British empire.  People can't tolerate this, and it is an impetus for relocation to warmer and drier areas.

• Like 1