• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

Actually the GFS was hugely improved ... but again, not sure we should trust this.  Baby steps.... I think a lot of the sensible appeal will come down to how much cloud we have to contend with.  Notice N Maine is warminger than Brian, regardless of these versions below.  Probably owing to clouds and rains

Also, the wind fields appear pretty COL like much of the time, with weak gradients in every direction, that may limit the ocean penetration to just Scott ( haha,j/k)  

image.thumb.png.c8f8be8833646dcc90e40758e752a4ac.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

based on what the models had been suggesting, I'd take a 59 with partly sunny and run with it! 

I’ve been planning on 65-70 in CT Tuesday and Wednesday. With enough sun the valley from BDL to Hotford could get over 70 at least one of the days , but we’ll see 

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Actually the GFS was hugely improved ... but again, not sure we should trust this.  Baby steps.... I think a lot of the sensible appeal will come down to how much cloud we have to contend with.  Notice N Maine is warminger than Brian, regardless of these versions below.  Probably owing to clouds and rains

Also, the wind fields appear pretty COL like much of the time, with weak gradients in every direction, that may limit the ocean penetration to just Scott ( haha,j/k)  

image.thumb.png.c8f8be8833646dcc90e40758e752a4ac.png

It's all sun dependent IMO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

*Moves to a rural area*

...omg giant bug ! :P

My man I’ve been here most of my life. I’ve never seen so many mosquitoes of this size floating around and breeding this early in the season. I literally live just a couple miles from a swamp so I’m no stranger to bugs and birds of all types but this is just on another level of freakiness. I honestly wouldn’t mind one more quick freeze to kill off some of the early spawns. This season is going to be brutal around here and the mugginess hasn’t even started yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I never know what leaf out actually means.  Is it buds?  Full leaves?  Something in between?

Like walking the dog now in the valley bottom… is the tree on the right in the foreground leafed out?

IMG_9495.thumb.jpeg.02a572cec1d4a401f8462bf046bc58cf.jpeg

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.55e334b35621f5b23b2366d5593d3af2.jpeg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If sun comes out for more than an hour we jump into 60’s . Sorry you live where you do when you want warmth . There were folks in here calling for 40’s all week lol 

200w.gif

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I never know what leaf out actually means.  Is it buds?  Full leaves?  Something in between?

Like walking the dog now in the valley bottom… is the tree on the right in the foreground leafed out?

IMG_9495.thumb.jpeg.02a572cec1d4a401f8462bf046bc58cf.jpeg

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.55e334b35621f5b23b2366d5593d3af2.jpeg

Yeah it’s just sticks here too. A few species are breaking bud though.

• Like 1

Looks like I'm going to be waiting quite awhile for my first 70F.   My highest temperature this spring has been 67F.  Still stick season in my hood.  Zoomed in view from my front yard looking SW.  The ski area is Ragged Mtn.

Edit:  Didn't see PF's post or Brian before I just uploaded.  I have always considered the beginning of leaf out is when the Norway Maples pop the big green blobs. Usually just after the Forsythia.  This just happened in my area yesterday.

Sticks.jpg

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m not sure . Thought you guys still had snow otg .

Hills do.  The classic sharp gradient from spring to snow still exists around 2k feet.

Skinned up for a lap after work before the dog walk.  Still 4 feet on the ground at the Picnic Tables.  

IMG_9492.thumb.jpeg.089eb4dde0f0da5bf12123853d0320d0.jpeg

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah it’s just sticks here too. A few species are breaking bud though.

Yeah some of the ground growth is starting to green up with very small leaves opening, probably the shallow root stuff?  A lot of buds though.  When it happens, it should happen fast as it usually does.  One day sticks, the next day that bright, light green color.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah some of the ground growth is starting to green up with very small leaves opening, probably the shallow root stuff?  A lot of buds though.  When it happens, it should happen fast as it usually does.  One day sticks, the next day that bright, light green color.

Nice. Just 5.5 or so short months we start tracking those same (to be) leaves turn to their fall colors. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Not sure how you do it up there in NNE. Was on top of Mount Mitchell in NC last week and it was still stick season up there too. Depressing in late April. 

Sunset is 7:53pm today. That helps a lot this time of year.  I find spring almost intoxicating due to the sun, regardless of leaf out.

Fall/autumn to me is super depressing once sticks are left and before the snow falls.  Just lucky to have snow cover to brighten things up for the majority of winter.

Maybe this time of year is the trade off down there because I don’t know how some of you do 4-5 months of November gray and rain in the winter.

• Like 4