Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That was the vibe today for sure, ha.  This was the first day that was like, yeah the spring melt is happening and it won’t recover like it has every other time this winter.

It’s always amazing how that one or two days up north just shuts and ends things. Even with a ton of snow left up high., the vibe and folks just shut it down 

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s always amazing how that one or two days up north just shuts and ends things. Even with a ton of snow left up high., the vibe and folks just shut it down 

You guys down south certainly stop traveling northward and move on to other things…

Even the locals start looking to the warm season.

This amount of snow and skiable terrain in November would be a gong-show of crowds.

But people want seasons-in-seasons with the sun/solar calendar.  Long daylight in April, they are looking at warm season.  Short daylight like October and November, they want to rush cold season activities.

The other day with sun coming through at times, there were a total of 8 people riding the FourRunner Quad here. The flagship lift.  Only 8 people on the line at 12pm.

IMG_9252.thumb.jpeg.92993818752870de02f0987eb0572e85.jpeg

The general public has moved on completely and these rainy days show why ski areas lose money this time of year operating.  

Midweek operations after like April 1st are brutal.

IMG_9253.jpeg.65ccdd56d194fcc757fcab287487e7e8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You guys down south certainly stop traveling northward and move on to other things…

Even the locals start looking to the warm season.

This amount of snow and skiable terrain in November would be a gong-show of crowds.

But people want seasons-in-seasons with the sun/solar calendar.  Long daylight in April, they are looking at warm season.  Short daylight like October and November, they want to rush cold season activities.

The other day with sun coming through at times, there were a total of 8 people riding the FourRunner Quad here. The flagship lift.  Only 8 people on the line at 12pm.

IMG_9252.thumb.jpeg.92993818752870de02f0987eb0572e85.jpeg

The general public has moved on completely and these rainy days show why ski areas lose money this time of year operating.  

Midweek operations after like April 1st are brutal.

IMG_9253.jpeg.65ccdd56d194fcc757fcab287487e7e8.jpeg

But that guy in the ski thread thought Sugarbush was out to screw him. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

The weeks of onshore flow disaster idea doesn't look very likely, seasonable pattern through end of month seems more likely.

Ave temp for a day climbs on the 20th from 52 until the end of the month its 56. All models and ENS are averaging around 45 or so. Chilly 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ave temp for a day climbs on the 20th from 52 until the end of the month its 56. All models and ENS are averaging around 45 or so. Chilly 

ORH avg is 55 now. Max temps are warmer than that. 

Modest 1.16" yesterday but snowmelt and saturated ground allowed the Sandy River to reach 20,900 cfs, a bit under flood flow but in the top quartile of peaks since records began in 1929.  Also not quite half the peak on Dec 19 but high enough to further traumatize those suffering damage back then.
Wood frogs started "quacking" in the old stock pond last evening, appropriate as I flushed 2 hooded mergansers earlier in the day - first ducks I've ever seen on the small (30 ft diam) puddle.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Your original call was lots of onshore flow, miserable second half of apr/early may, I don't see it. Maybe early May goes that way, that's way out still

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Your original call was lots of onshore flow, miserable second half of apr/early may, I don't see it. Maybe early May goes that way, that's way out still

BN 21st to 1st week of May nothing about constant onshore flow.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I will say, it’s been one of the best forsythia blooms I have seen in years. It seems like every bush around town is blowing out yellow at the same time.

Thanks for the confirmation I thought it was just me.

In terms of high-end severe for the northeast, I imagine that June 9, 1953 is the highest outcome that we can obtain in this area. May 31, 1998 had several F3's in upstate NY, but I think that 1953 is the closest we have ever been to having a legit tornado outbreak in New England. June 1, 2011 and May 15, 2018 come to mind also, but 1953 takes the cake.

18 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

In terms of high-end severe for the northeast, I imagine that June 9, 1953 is the highest outcome that we can obtain in this area. May 31, 1998 had several F3's in upstate NY, but I think that 1953 is the closest we have ever been to having a legit tornado outbreak in New England. June 1, 2011 and May 15, 2018 come to mind also, but 1953 takes the cake.

July 1989

• Like 2