EWR: 90 (1977)
NYC: 90 (1977)
LGA:  86 (1977)

Lows:

EWR: 27 (1976)
NYC: 22 (1874)
LGA: 29 (1976)

Historical:

1927 - A tornado wiped out the town of Rock Springs, TX, killing 72 persons and causing 1.2 million dollars damage. The tornado, more than one mile in width, destroyed 235 of 247 buildings, leaving no trace of lumber or contents in many cases. Many survivors were bruised by large hail which fell after the passage of the tornado. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1934 - Winds atop Mount Washington, NH, averaged 186 mph for five minutes, with a peak gust of 231 mph, the highest wind speed ever clocked in the world. (David Ludlum)

1945: A series of significant tornadoes raked Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois. Antlers, Oklahoma were nearly obliterated by a massive F5 tornado that zigzagged from southwest to northeast across the town. 69 people died in the twister. Another tornado killed eight people in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The disaster was overshadowed by the loss of President Franklin Roosevelt, who died suddenly at his vacation home at Warm Springs, Georgia. 

1987 - A cold front crossing the central U.S. produced heavy snow in the Central Rockies, and severe thunderstorms over Kansas and Oklahoma. Snowfall totals ranged up to 16 inches at Red Mountain Pass CO. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 87 mph at Ponca City OK. Winds associated with the cold front itself gusted to 69 mph at Tucumcari NM. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Snow blanketed the Southern Appalachians. Totals in North Carolina ranged up to 17 inches at Mitchell. Winds at Flat Top Mountain gusted to 80 mph. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Twenty-two cities in the south central and eastern U.S. reported record low temperatures for the date, including Elkins WV with a low of 15 degrees, and Baton Rouge LA with a reading of 37 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1990 - Arctic air invaded the central U.S. Lincoln, NE, reported a record low of 17 degrees. Thunderstorms developing along the arctic cold front produced heavy snow in north central Kansas, wind gusts to 61 mph at Midland TX, and wind gusts to 69 mph at Rawlins WY. Warm weather prevailed in the southwestern U.S. Las Vegas NV reported a record high of 91 degrees, and on the 13th, Sacramento CA reported a record high of 95 degrees. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

2010 - One-inch diamemter hail falls in Fresno, CA. Two condominiums are destroyed by thunderstorms in California's San Joaquin Valley. Up to three funnel clouds were also seen in the region.

44 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

.62 overnight. Radar says we make it to a inch this morning 

I was up to .81 before this rain moved in.  Pretty much a guarantee we get over 1" once again.  Had some decent thunder around 8 am.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FPizz said:

I was up to .81 before this rain moved in.  Pretty much a guarantee we get over 1" once again.  Had some decent thunder around 8 am.  

Yup. Muggy morning. Taste of things to come 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Yup. Muggy morning. Taste of things to come 

It feels like the middle of May this morning. And yea a taste of things to come. All the soil moisture evaporating out and doing its dirty work. We are in for a very humid and very hot summer IMO

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Sun's coming out. Let's see if those downpours make it here from PA

I've picked up 0.84" from this event so far. I see the narrow line of downpours has moved into Somerset County, so it will be here shortly and might get us to a little over an inch of rain for the event.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Pouring! More rain coming up from PHL 

Decent downpour with that line. It added 0.15" here, so I'm up to 0.99" for the event. Another batch of lighter rain coming up from the south as you pointed out, so that will get me to a little over an inch for the event. I'm glad this didn't end up being another one of those 2 to 3 inch super soakers. We didn't need that, but an inch was a nice watering for the vegetable garden. 

Tomorrow looks nasty. Cloudy and windy with high temps only in the mid 50s, but then we go back to nice warm weather on Sunday. Looks like a nice stretch of mostly high temps in the 70s for Sunday through most of next week. Then probably a cooldown to below normal temps next weekend. 

Anyway I hope everyone has a great weekend! 

• Like 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Decent downpour with that line. It added 0.15" here, so I'm up to 0.99" for the event. Another batch of lighter rain coming up from the south as you pointed out, so that will get me to a little over an inch for the event. I'm glad this didn't end up being another one of those 2 to 3 inch super soakers. We didn't need that, but an inch was a nice watering for the vegetable garden. 

Tomorrow looks nasty. Cloudy and windy with high temps only in the mid 50s, but then we go back to nice warm weather on Sunday. Looks like a nice stretch of mostly high temps in the 70s for Sunday through most of next week. Then probably a cooldown to below normal temps next weekend. 

Anyway I hope everyone has a great weekend! 

Enjoy the weekend. Yes, after Saturday looks like we get a decent stretch until the following weekend 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The cold front late next week looks very impressive as the Euro and GFS have lows in the 30s in NYC for next weekend.

A632A5C9-5637-435E-91A0-150831B37E11.thumb.jpeg.f08c41c18d7c552c3ff402b711cbab60.jpeg
BA278798-4342-457E-BAF9-C63D908CE997.thumb.jpeg.c42aa86c8a0c3b64e76e1a3a29715008.jpeg

EPS also has the pesky NW cutoff afterwards it appears, so it'll be a slow moderation of warmth.

We are still in a wet pattern with an upper low in the northwestern Atlantic dominating. We've had computer model runs suggesting that this pattern might end or shift northward but thus far they've all been wrong. The best we can do in this type of pattern is an isolated day here and there around 80 perhaps but mostly 70s with quite a few days still only in the upper 50s and 60s.

WX/PT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the wake of the area's most recent storm, a dry weekend will follow. It will turn briefly cooler tomorrow with a gusty breeze, but warmer air will quickly return starting on Sunday. Temperatures will likely reach the 70s early next week. For the week, temperatures will wind up warmer to much warmer than normal overall. Cooler conditions could follow afterward.

Given the near-term warmth and extended guidance, New York City's Central Park is all but certain to finish the 2023-2024 snow season with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall for a record second consecutive season. Records go back to 1869. This will be the last reference to seasonal snowfall for Winter 2023-2024.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.1°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.2°C for the week centered around April 3. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.28°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.22°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was -9.74 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +3.838 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 68% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal April (1991-2020 normal). April will likely finish with a mean temperature near 55.8° (2.2° above normal).