Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

4 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

It's only a 6 percent chance that am earthquake is followed by a larger one

I feel like there was an aftershock stronger the original quake a few years ago in California.... just going by my memory, of course such a thing would have a higher chance of happening there.

This was a 4.0 following a 4.8 which itself had only a 10% of happening.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Not to say it couldn't or never happens but USGS does say it is exceedingly rare.

My apologies here, I did not mean to ignite a firestorm. I was trying to say it comfortingly.. but.... alas, I missed. 

• Haha 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Baltimore reminded me of The Mothman Prophecies.  That was based around another bridge collapse and the happenings around that time were creepy to say the least.

Yeah... that movie haunted my childhood. 

• Like 1

Anyone else notice a gust of wind (pressure related?) with the arrival of the quake? I’ve heard this from multiple people in both NY and NJ. The glass door of the building I was in blew open and the roof made the loudest creakiest noise, like it wanted to collapse. I thought a helicopter or small plane struck the roof or something else nearby (I was near ISP).

During the 2011 earthquake I lived in Queens, multiple stories in the air, my bed was bouncing and the building started swaying in a way that was uncomfortable. One wall developed cracks.

Another quake in 2016, in the Rockaways, with an epicenter about 30-40 miles offshore. It was less than a 3.0 but I felt it and saw things moving. Much weaker than 2011 or today though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Updated list of 4.0 Earthquakes, assuming the current 4.0 rating holds. Today would be the first date on which there were two such earthquakes in the NYC area.

image.png.cc5497e712d4eac3ecdb6208ea22e4af.png

Didn't dream of you having to put together such a list, Don.

Was there a 5.5 sometime in our past?  ABC listed that as being the strongest quake to hit our region in recorded history.

It would be interesting if such quakes became more common going forward (for whatever reason including higher large rainfall events.)

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Didn't dream of you having to put together such a list, Don.

Was there a 5.5 sometime in our past?  ABC listed that as being the strongest quake to hit our region in recorded history.

It would be interesting if such quakes became more common going forward (for whatever reason including higher large rainfall events.)

5.3 is the record.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

5.3 is the record.

I saw that day in 1783 was particularly destructive with two foreshocks and an aftershock in addition to the main earthquake-- I take it none of the foreshocks or aftershock registered as 4.0 or higher?

and I see that 1938 had a series of quakes a few weeks before the big hurricane too, wow.

6 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Anyone else notice a gust of wind (pressure related?) with the arrival of the quake? I’ve heard this from multiple people in both NY and NJ. The glass door of the building I was in blew open and the roof made the loudest creakiest noise, like it wanted to collapse. I thought a helicopter or small plane struck the roof or something else nearby (I was near ISP).

During the 2011 earthquake I lived in Queens, multiple stories in the air, my bed was bouncing and the building started swaying in a way that was uncomfortable. One wall developed cracks.

Another quake in 2016, in the Rockaways, with an epicenter about 30-40 miles offshore. It was less than a 3.0 but I felt it and saw things moving. Much weaker than 2011 or today though.

This felt stronger than the 2011 quake (which was centered further south.) 

I felt that gust of wind right at the start of the aftershock, but then the wind stopped and the aftershock kept going lol

16 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

9.4km depth vs 4.7km depth for the first.

Not sure if that has any implications?

This is a good quick explanation: https://phys.org/news/2016-08-difference-shallow-deep-earthquakes.html

In general the depth between two, from what I have researched, appears that it would not make much difference in the grand scheme.

• Like 1