Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Congrats Dendrite Deck Destroyer 3/23-3/25 obs discussion

Ginx snewx

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s awesome.

This much ZR in a Nor'easter?  That is quite uncommon.  Not your typical overrunning/CAD situation with waves on a E-W front and cold wedges inland way to the SW.  Also getting 3" of IP in any storm in New England, that's uncommon as well.  You typically see that in the SEUS and Southern Plains.  And to have blockbuster snow amounts just NW of this sig ZR/IP area at the same time?  Even CoastalWx *has* to be impressed! :D

Yet another over-performing storm in New England this winter, whether it be rainfall, snowfall, high winds, or coastal flooding.  We've had it all.  And looking at the pattern and GEFS for the next two weeks, all sort of "fun 'n game" potential lined up.  This time of year, you are not going to get the long range explicitly showing a sig snowstorm these parts, but you can't deny the pattern is there for perhaps something.  Why not?  I think we let the furnace meteorological winter get to us too much.

I say, get the big snows any way you can, even if it is a "bookend" winter, like 1981-82 and 1996-97 were.

CoastalWx saying to himself now, "PLEASE let's get a March 31-April1, 1997 or April 6-7, 1982 repeat!  Heck, he will even take May 9-10, 1977 or April 28-29, 1987, even though Weymouth-land missed out these two storms!   :weenie::weenie::weenie:

19820406-19820407-3.35.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, vortex95 said:

This much ZR in a Nor'easter?  That is quite uncommon.  Not your typical overrunning/CAD situation with waves on a E-W front and cold wedges inland way to the SW.  Also getting 3" of IP in any storm in New England, that's uncommon as well.  You typically see that in the SEUS and Southern Plains.  And to have blockbuster snow amounts just NW of this sig ZR/IP area at the same time?  Even CoastalWx *has* to be impressed! :D

Yet another over-performing storm in New England this winter, whether it be rainfall, snowfall, high winds, or coastal flooding.  We've had it all.  And looking at the pattern and GEFS for the next two week, all sort of "fun 'n game" potential lined up.  This time of year, you are not going to get the long range explicitly showing a sig snowstorm these parts, but you can't deny the pattern is there for perhaps something.  Why not?  I think we let the furnace meteorological winter get to us too much.
I say, get the big snows any way you can, even if it is a "bookend" winter, like 1981-82 and 1996-97 were.

CoastalWx saying to himself now, "PLEASE let's get a March 31-April1, 1997 or April 6-7, 1982 repeat!
Heck, he will even take May 9-10, 1977 or April 28-29, 1987, even though Weymouth-land missed
out these two storms!   :weenie::weenie::weenie:

19820406-19820407-3.35.jpg

The only storms that impressed me was the one before Christmas and this one. 

This one wasn’t a classic nor Easter though. 60kts from the south at 850 will deliver the warmth aloft for sure. It was juiced for sure.

well that was interesting. picked up about 5”, then hovered on either side of 32 while it rained. I wasn’t worried about the zr and icing, as there was only a couple tenths accumulating on the trees. but when it changed back to snow, all hell broke loose. power went out at around 8 pm, just got it back an hour ago. Trees are still iced up but melting 

• Like 2

CoastalWx wrote:

The only storms that impressed me was the one before Christmas and this one.

This one wasn’t a classic nor Easter though. 60kts from the south at 850 will deliver the warmth aloft for sure. It was juiced for sure.

---------------------------------------

No, not a classic Nor'easter, rather stringy pressure pattern NNE to SSW.  I recall a rule thumb decades ago that said, "N-S orientated 850 lows do not usually produce large areas of +SN."  Well, that did not work out here!  My point is that winter storms come in a spectrum, and thinking "classic Nor'easter" all the time, you are going to be disappointed.  What matters is what the storm prodcues, no?  Don't look for the 970 mb KU monster with the perfect WCB and CCB all the time!  ^_^

Take Dec 23, 1997.  Nothing special for a pattern or sfc low.  4-8" max forecast, and it ends up 12-24" in SNE!  Mega weenie CSI bands or DGZ zones don't need a crazy comma head with a 510 dm 500 mb low moving in!  Or how about CoastalWx's all-time "surprise" fav -- March 6-7, 2013?  Let's have the sfc low go out 600 mi SE of ACK, and Blue Hill gets a top 5 snowstorm of 30!"

Or that one storm in the mega blitz Jan-Feb 2015.  We got a burst of snow in SNE in the evening with this mesoscale thingy clearly showing up on radar as a curl.  It moves N to srn NH, and stalls.  Then the sky becomes partly cloudy over parts of sern MA for a time not long after midnight, then the mesoscale thingy drops back S, the 500 support moves in, and its snow weenie heaven just before sunrise with ++TSSN over ern MA.  That was nuts!  One of the oddest big snowstorms I have seen.  But in the end, still buried!

See a theme here?, non-standard, outside the classic box snow events get the job done and can be among the best ev-AH, esp. b/c of the surprise factor!  So this most recent storm falls outside the box.  Yes, it did not get SNE with big snows, but it was very close.  And we are talking late March here.  If it was a month earlier?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

Looks like @tamarack is in the crazy rates right now.

A bit earlier than that.  After 2.5 hours of heavily rimed flakes with some IP from 4-6:30 and moderate SN thru 9, we had at least 6" in 90 minutes, 9-10:30, and a total of 10.5" after 9 PM.  I don't think I've ever seen a heavier rate - in daylight perhaps 1/16 mile visibility.  We'd had only tiny flakes during the entire event, then came flakes of all sizes in that 90 minutes, then back to smaller ones though more than any earlier tiny critters.  22" total from 2.27" LE.  Before 9 the ratio was 8:1, after was 12:1.

Southern Franklin County FTW.  (The New Sharon co-op always comes in low.)

...Franklin County...
3 SW New Vineyard            23.4 in   1033 AM 03/24   Trained Spotter      
Temple 1.8 W                 22.1 in   0700 AM 03/24   COCORAHS             
New Sharon 2.0 NW            22.0 in   0700 AM 03/24   COCORAHS             
Farmington 4.2 NW            21.1 in   0700 AM 03/24   COCORAHS             
Farmington 4.8 NNW           20.5 in   0900 AM 03/24   COCORAHS             
0.9 E New Sharon             19.4 in   0700 AM 03/24   COOP                 
Rangeley                     18.7 in   0800 AM 03/24   COOP                 
New Vineyard                 18.0 in   1046 AM 03/24   Public               
2 WSW Kingfield              17.0 in   0630 AM 03/24   Trained Spotter      
1.0 W Kingfield              17.0 in   0808 AM 03/24   COOP                 
Stratton                     17.0 in   1012 AM 03/24   Trained Spotter     

• Like 10

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting that parts of the St Lawrence River Valley is also bare on the north side of the storm.

1542378940_Screenshot2024-03-24141433.thumb.jpg.020e971c74548d6fb1b88954976e4978.jpg

What a drive this morning from Lake George to Westchester, just beautiful down the Northway.  Lots of ice around Albany

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

2.56” w.e. at Franklin Falls COOP. Juice bomb. I have to add my numbers up, but I’ll be well over 2” as well. 

I measured 2.48". Probably more error in there than usual with the SN>IP>ZR>IP>+++SN>IP>SN but I did the best I could. And I said 16" earlier, but it was actually 15.5" I was going with.

Up to 65.2" on the season.

• Like 1

Hello from sagadahoc.  4:00pm update from CMP:

As we continue to work today, we are encountering severe damage in several coastal counties including Cumberland, York, Lincoln, Waldo, Knox, and Sagadahoc. For customers living in those areas, restoration efforts will likely extend into late Tuesday or possibly even Wednesday. 

8 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Hello from sagadahoc.  4:00pm update from CMP:

As we continue to work today, we are encountering severe damage in several coastal counties including Cumberland, York, Lincoln, Waldo, Knox, and Sagadahoc. For customers living in those areas, restoration efforts will likely extend into late Tuesday or possibly even Wednesday. 

Why’d you go up knowing no power?

Bretton Woods Area picked up 18-24 inches, nice and light and easy to clean up. Same with Bartlett and North Conway. Wildcst reports 30inches at the base and more as you go up in elevation.

Sunshine and blue skies all day today. Parking lots were packed at Bretton Woods, Attitash, and Cranmore. Ski it while you can!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

wtf is this? Drunk spotter? PNS says its a trained spotter. I can't find a single report on cocorahs, COOP, PNS of any snowfall, not even a tenth in CT or anywhere around this area. Let alone near 3". Also falls village is like 700ft. 

1811628924_Screenshot2024-03-24180412.thumb.png.c59ed0dc6e08deaefb069d4387d4e337.png

I drove past Lake Taghkanic today, lots of ice but little snow

A372B6F9-1D5D-4B0E-8131-C2067EB58781.jpeg

• Like 1