Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,540
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Newest Member
    Gonzalez Brittany
    Joined

Spring/Summer '24 Banter and Complaint Thread


IWXwx
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think it's still early, no? They should have just started emerging over the past week. They don't fly until after they've molted.  If you aren't seeing any activity by next week at this time, then I'm going to think something is wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll send some pictures but pockets of the forest preserve down the road are literally swarming with them. I realized on my dog walk yesterday for the first time how many there were; a certain kind of shrub that ig they like would have literally dozens of them per cubic foot or however one might measure cicada population density. They were all over the ground and for about a mile of trail, they were on virtually every single plant at every height. The next mile or so I couldn't find a single one. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cicada activity has been very hit or miss.

Have had none at home, at good ole ex-home, or at ORD. But places in-between have been overrun, such as Glendale Heights, Oak Brook, and Bolingbrook.

It's interesting to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Cicada activity has been very hit or miss.

Have had none at home, at good ole ex-home, or at ORD. But places in-between have been overrun, such as Glendale Heights, Oak Brook, and Bolingbrook.

It's interesting to say the least.

sound is deafening out this way

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2024 at 4:51 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Cicada activity has been very hit or miss.

Have had none at home, at good ole ex-home, or at ORD. But places in-between have been overrun, such as Glendale Heights, Oak Brook, and Bolingbrook.

It's interesting to say the least.

None out here, but was at Brookfield today and it was insane how loud it was

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2024 at 4:51 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Cicada activity has been very hit or miss.

Have had none at home, at good ole ex-home, or at ORD. But places in-between have been overrun, such as Glendale Heights, Oak Brook, and Bolingbrook.

It's interesting to say the least.

Left home for vacation in FL on May 25th with zero cicada activity. Returned home on June 2nd with chaos levels of cicada activity.

The sound is one of a kind, that's for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Received around 160-170 inches in my area... love where I live.  Hoping for a much better season!

MQT

We’re a little late posting the season snowfall map for this past snow season, but really there’s not much to look at. Of the past 22 seasons for which season snowfall maps have been created at NWS Marquette, this is the first in which no location in Upper MI exceeded 200 inches for a season snowfall total. There have been 4 seasons in the last 22 that were close to failing to reach 200 inches: 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2020-2021. What made this past snow season even worse for those who enjoy snow recreation and for the businesses that rely on snow was the frequency of warm weather that caused melting of the snow that fell. On a final note, for Upper MI, the first snowflakes of the 2023-2024 season were observed on October 7th and the last snowflakes where observed on April 23rd. You can view past snow seasons back to 2002-2003 at https://www.weather.gov/mqt/seasonsnowfallmaps

447664527_863136759184186_3233476575931773192_n.jpg.4ed4d6e8a73b530f4eda6823c91f8fb3.jpg

447955027_863136962517499_3516250708988058774_n.thumb.jpg.d6e475b13029f0040948053a84b15720.jpg

N Lower

445029380_775232871466746_6055676067188425598_n.jpg.5aa1bc07928e7a99a4a8967d23103b8c.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Received around 160-170 inches in my area... love where I live.  Hoping for a much better season!

MQT

We’re a little late posting the season snowfall map for this past snow season, but really there’s not much to look at. Of the past 22 seasons for which season snowfall maps have been created at NWS Marquette, this is the first in which no location in Upper MI exceeded 200 inches for a season snowfall total. There have been 4 seasons in the last 22 that were close to failing to reach 200 inches: 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2020-2021. What made this past snow season even worse for those who enjoy snow recreation and for the businesses that rely on snow was the frequency of warm weather that caused melting of the snow that fell. On a final note, for Upper MI, the first snowflakes of the 2023-2024 season were observed on October 7th and the last snowflakes where observed on April 23rd. You can view past snow seasons back to 2002-2003 at https://www.weather.gov/mqt/seasonsnowfallmaps

447664527_863136759184186_3233476575931773192_n.jpg.4ed4d6e8a73b530f4eda6823c91f8fb3.jpg

447955027_863136962517499_3516250708988058774_n.thumb.jpg.d6e475b13029f0040948053a84b15720.jpg

N Lower

445029380_775232871466746_6055676067188425598_n.jpg.5aa1bc07928e7a99a4a8967d23103b8c.jpg

It is shocking to me that the southern UP barely received my seasonal average.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

There's a lot of hand wringing going on in the media about the Livonia tornado being "unwarned" since it was only a SVR with a TOR possible tag, some media people are saying tor possible warnings should just be tornado warnings. What's you all's thoughts?

Typical Tuesday morning quarterbacking. Locking the barn door after the horse is gone, etc. etc. etc.. I get that people are upset because the kids are being killed but the meteorologists did not do it, the weather did. The general public basically ignores storms as long as people are not being killed. But then suddenly they get their knickers in a twist when things take a sudden turn. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

There's a lot of hand wringing going on in the media about the Livonia tornado being "unwarned" since it was only a SVR with a TOR possible tag, some media people are saying tor possible warnings should just be tornado warnings. What's you all's thoughts?

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2024/06/why-was-there-no-warning-with-deadly-michigan-tornado.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The blame game aside, this is just a reminder that people should not take severe t'storm predictions lightly, as the environment will be conducive to rapidly evolving conditions at a mesoscale level that even Meteorologists may not always be able to proactively warn the public about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

There's a lot of hand wringing going on in the media about the Livonia tornado being "unwarned" since it was only a SVR with a TOR possible tag, some media people are saying tor possible warnings should just be tornado warnings. What's you all's thoughts?

The FAR would be way too high if that were to be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

 

industrial farming is such a disaster

The sky was brown by me the other night. 
 

Unfortunately they are just trading farm land for solar farms. 
 

Probably time to go hyperlocal with gardens in front yards and backyard chickens 

Things are only getting worse with the land 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Finally got a chance to experience the cicadas. Drove out to Loud Thunder forest preserve (southwest of the QC) today and they were out in force.  Definitely way louder than the annuals.  They were smaller than I thought they would be.  Was expecting them to be the same size as the green annuals.  

Seems the forest preserves have them THICK. Been to two of them in two weeks, and heavily ambushed with cicadas, here in Champaign? Nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...