• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/Summer '24 Banter and Complaint Thread

IWXwx

Here's something intereting. There's a relative minimum of EF2+ tornadoes and total tornadoes in Missouri. On the third chart shown, I have chosen the wind probability climatology for June 24th. It is well known that June has the maximum number of wind reports of any month across the US. This chart shows the wind damage reports maximize at Kansas, also, what I'll call "Derecho Alley," from Iowa to Ohio. Also, the southern Appalachians have a maximum of wind reports. Thunderstorms are numerous in the southern Appalachians but sometimes there is not high deep-layer shear in summer. On the fourth chart you can see the hail over 1" maximizes in the central Plains, pretty much lines up with traditional tornado alley. The area with the maximum number of hail-days (of any hail size) is at Cheyenne, Wyoming to the Nebraska high plains and over to Goodland, Kansas (Not shown) Final map: total number of days of severe hail of over 1"

all tornadoes.jpg

EF2 tornado.jpg

total wind probabilities June 25.jpg

hail probabilities.jpg

HAIL.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I'll go with a D+.

cons:

100" below avg

brown Christmas

persistent thaws

pros:

30+ inch storm in January which had a blizzard warning (55 inches for the month)

Blizzard a few days ago

I bet your chickens would flip your pros and cons.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me why KIND and KLOT suddenly stopped updating every five minutes and went to just updating every hour since one this afternoon. Is it just a western region thing or all over?

19 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Can anyone tell me why KIND and KLOT suddenly stopped updating every five minutes and went to just updating every hour since one this afternoon. Is it just a western region thing or all over?

Idk if I'm just dumb but I don't have any issue with LOT's radar on radarscope

Just now, Malacka11 said:

Idk if I'm just dumb but I don't have any issue with LOT's radar on radarscope

The radar is fine, I am talking about the time series viewer through the NWS and NOAA. I just checked KEWR and they have been only updating hourly also. Must be a system wide thing. Just wonder if it is accidental or on purpose?

9 hours ago, bowtie` said:

The radar is fine, I am talking about the time series viewer through the NWS and NOAA. I just checked KEWR and they have been only updating hourly also. Must be a system wide thing. Just wonder if it is accidental or on purpose?

KFWA also switched to hourly at 12:55 (Eastern time) yesterday.