Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

slight tick in the NS buckled the entire trough. these do indeed like to amp up as you head towards game time when there isn't ample confluence

namconus_z500_vort_us_fh30_trend.thumb.gif.517e6af959eddcea88246e6b6e42945f.gif

This isnt an IMBY post but I feel like there is room on the NAM for a bit more of a push north too. 

As I said watch for jet dynamics to induce more snow in this event, even in areas which may be modeled to get little from the coastal.  I suspect in this storm there will be a screw zone like last event, not for same reasons but lets take the 18Z RGEM as an example...obviously CNJ sees biggest amounts but I'd bet that places  in NE PA/SE NY and NW CT there'd be some zone that gets like 4-5 inches while in between amounts are lower.  It happens often in setups like this.  The HRRR has notoriously nailed those jet induced snow maxes, even from 36-48 out and indeed if you look at the 18Z run from 34-38 you see that somewhat with that band over PA with a screw zone of lighter echoes between...once the coastal takes over more it sort of loses the snow everywhere and that idea does need to be watched here, but if we get this to tick a bit north it won't matter much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

As I said watch for jet dynamics to induce more snow in this event, even in areas which may be modeled to get little from the coastal.  I suspect in this storm there will be a screw zone like last event, not for same reasons but lets take the 18Z RGEM as an example...obviously CNJ sees biggest amounts but I'd bet that places  in NE PA/SE NY and NW CT there'd be some zone that gets like 4-5 inches while in between amounts are lower.  It happens often in setups like this.  The HRRR has notoriously nailed those jet induced snow maxes, even from 36-48 out and indeed if you look at the 18Z run from 34-38 you see that somewhat with that band over PA with a screw zone of lighter echoes between...once the coastal takes over more it sort of loses the snow everywhere and that idea does need to be watched here, but if we get this to tick a bit north it won't matter much.

so in other words bust potential is higher then normal again for this event ?

Just now, NEG NAO said:

so in other words bust potential is higher then normal again for this event ?

I think positive bust more so somewhere where nobody thinks anything will happen or only 1-2 will be forecast.  I would not think this one will be tough of a forecast nearer to the low center and better dynamics but yeah, I do think a zone in between will be marginally disappointed like this last event, that was partly due to UHI probably but even if it was 25F there'd have been notably lower amounts in NE NJ and NYC last storm

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I love tracking in real time, this is far better than just model reading.

Agree that’s why I don’t care about each model run. General patterns are all that are needed. Half an inch here or there who cares. Like seeing the real time tracking and meteorology aspect of these. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• wdrag changed the title to A likely 4-10 hr period of refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

Corrected thread title date 18th to 17th at 828PM Thu the 15th. No other changes needed at this time. Max snowfall axis continues near the Mason Dixon line where watches and/or advisories are already posted for NJ/PA/MD.  Some modeling have the max snowfall axis a little further north near I78. 18z/15 GFS op has increased snowfall ratio for LI 11 to 1 for early Saturday which if it verifies helps make a little more snow near LI. Presuming it snows in ne PA/nw NJ across e central PA SLR's per the 18z/15 GFS op are near 15 to 1!  Just need the qpf. 

• Like 3

• wdrag changed the title to Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic